I recently got a helper

And who can guess what I'm doing here?

Lots n lots of crossover boards!

Peter J

• Hmmmm
Re: ***X-LS Extravaganza***
« Reply #181 on: 21 Oct 2020, 12:59 am »
Lots n lots of crossover boards!

Ding-ding-ding! 99 of 'em from a 49x97 sheet.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #182 on: 17 Nov 2020, 02:39 am »
Scott recently sent me some photos of the X-LSs he built from a flat pack. He made a matching sub and all the cabinetry, as well. Pretty cool stuff, methinks.

AlexH

« Reply #183 on: 17 Nov 2020, 04:25 am »
 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Jmitchell3

« Reply #184 on: 17 Nov 2020, 05:18 am »

Those look fantastic!

Scott recently sent me some photos of the X-LSs he built from a flat pack. He made a matching sub and all the cabinetry, as well. Pretty cool stuff, methinks.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #185 on: 17 Nov 2020, 08:33 am »
Now that’s impressive!

uncola

« Reply #186 on: 17 Nov 2020, 09:48 am »
Wow it matches his media center cabinet perfectly

UtopiaNemo

« Reply #187 on: 17 Nov 2020, 02:28 pm »

Okay, now that is brilliant work. The cabinet looks like a beautiful modern take on 70’s futurism, and the speakers follow the aesthetic perfectly.

Also, I can’t pretend I didn’t notice that his cabinet seems principally arranged to show off his game systems. I see you, GameCube. Yeah you get a notice, Mega NT. 

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #188 on: 9 Dec 2020, 04:44 pm »
The latest from my "too imaginative" mind. I'm embarking on a Baltic Birch tangent. I've liked the look of exposed plys but often it seems to translate into something that looks less than finished, at least to my eye. To that end, I'm cogitating on how to proceed with these and have them look different than is typical but not painted. Think looking though a colored lens.

The go-to for audio gear seems to be red or black, but I don't think I've seen many things tone coated in black. But then there's brighter colors, blue, yellow, aquamarine, purple etc.

I'm soliciting ideas...here's your chance to have a say! Although I won't promise your ideas will come to fruition, I'll consider each and every one.

These are sealed and ready to start with tone coats. One on left is sanded, right is yet to be sanded.

RonP

« Reply #189 on: 9 Dec 2020, 05:22 pm »
What about a Faux Zebrawood Finish?

RolandButcher

« Reply #190 on: 9 Dec 2020, 05:29 pm »
+1 on Zebrawood - one of my favorites

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #191 on: 9 Dec 2020, 05:31 pm »
What about a Faux Zebrawood Finish?

That's interesting. Can you link me to some sort of description of process or tutorial?

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #192 on: 9 Dec 2020, 05:33 pm »
+1 on Zebrawood - one of my favorites

Are y'all seeing this as an overall finish or in place of Maple veneer I've already applied? I am trying to leave exposed plys somewhat visible.

RonP

« Reply #193 on: 9 Dec 2020, 05:49 pm »
Disclaimer: I have 0 woodworking skills.  None. Zip.

I quickly found a video on youtube video for you. There are many.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIZZfzCVmLo

And then I assume you would apply a sealer (varnish?) over it all once that's dry.

My thought was to "beef up" the wood grain angle which is already there. But something more exotic.

(This link may also help.. I found it linked from the site where the image was pulled from https://www.casartcoverings.com/shop/casart-organics/zebrawood/ )

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #194 on: 13 Dec 2020, 08:59 pm »
The faux finishing looks kinda interesting. It reminds me of what we used to do many years ago...only we called it "antiquing". I'd like to see someone try it, but it's better suited to oil based finishes as opposed to solvent based catalyzed stuff which is my go-to.

I kinda like the "burst" effect on guitars and also on Salks. Never having attempted that,  it seemed like a good time to jump into and see what I could do. Then I decided to add distressing in the way of sand throughs and, well, it bombed. I should have done one or the other and stuck with one color on the burst.  I started with black tone coats, then switched to brown. I learned what not to do, which I suppose is learning, none-the-less.

I'll probably try again, but will approach differently. These are too far down the road to start over, so I'll end up "painting" them a solid color, rather than translucent tone coats.

Behold the "Ho-Hums":

tom739

« Reply #195 on: 13 Dec 2020, 09:54 pm »
I like what you are doing with the exposed plys Peter. Besides the look,  I prefer birch plywood over MDF.

RonP

« Reply #196 on: 13 Dec 2020, 11:05 pm »
I like it!  :thumb:

AlexH

« Reply #197 on: 14 Dec 2020, 12:15 am »
To get the burst just right is a tough one, at least for me. Salk has it down pat. I wonder how long it took him to prefect it.

uncola

« Reply #198 on: 14 Dec 2020, 05:34 am »
the angles and the exposed plywood layers look great

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #199 on: 16 Dec 2020, 03:32 pm »
I just uploaded a video introducing Baltic Birch as an option and giving a head mounted GoPro a whirl.
https://youtu.be/-cPJ0oQ68lw