User reviews of our new Fet Valve 600R & 400R amplifiers

Mr Peabody

Re: User reviews of our new Fet Valve 600R & 400R amplifiers
« Reply #100 on: 16 Jan 2012, 02:25 am »
Ray, you just never know, a fellow Jaws user here. :)

tonyptony

« Reply #101 on: 16 Jan 2012, 02:30 am »
Let me be clear, there is nothing wrong with the frequency response of the FET Valve amps, what I mentioned was merely an observation not a criticism or deficiency in any way.  Not all amps will react or respond the same.  Also, keep in mind the amps effect will be impacted by associated equipment and whether or not there is synergy.  I don't know of any one amp that is unanimously liked.

What Mr P said. It's hard to provide observations without it sounding like criticism to someone. I think that's part of the problem with text only discussion.

guest1632

« Reply #102 on: 16 Jan 2012, 03:58 am »
What Mr P said. It's hard to provide observations without it sounding like criticism to someone. I think that's part of the problem with text only discussion.

I can understand that. Actually, it's fairly conceivable that by removing this one form of distortion you might be actually hearing what was really recorded. To bad the CJ was showing a bit of conjestion. I am in no way criticizing Frank's amp at all. This little anomoly may not be one at all. Frank's amps are getting up in the pricetag of other good amps. It would be interesting to have a comparison of this amp versus other stuff in the price range. But that's a different subject for a different thread. So Frank have you looked at this amp to see if there are any suppressed harmonics or distortion figures that normally you'd see on any amp that with yours is gone??

Ray Bronk

trebejo

« Reply #103 on: 16 Jan 2012, 11:38 pm »
I think Frank should buy one of those $10k amps and write his comparison to the 400R. What could possibly go wrong? :peek: :peek: :peek:

guest1632

« Reply #104 on: 17 Jan 2012, 12:32 am »
I think Frank should buy one of those $10k amps and write his comparison to the 400R. What could possibly go wrong? :peek: :peek: :peek:

Well, he might have trouble selling it, since his 400R and 600R might either be as good or beat it.

Ray Bronk

WGH

« Reply #105 on: 17 Jan 2012, 12:55 am »
Frank's amps are getting up in the pricetag of other good amps. It would be interesting to have a comparison of this amp versus other stuff in the price range.

Well, that just might happen:

We are now building a new Fet Valve 600R for The Absolute Sound.

tonyptony

« Reply #106 on: 17 Jan 2012, 01:37 am »
Awesome. Given the typical review time and lead time for publishing, that probably means it'll be late spring / early summer before we see it in print.

Frank, do you know yet who's going to revew it? Not sure if Sue Kraft writes for them anymore. Frankly I'd like to see it go to one of the heavyweights (nothing against Sue).

Mr Peabody

« Reply #107 on: 17 Jan 2012, 05:05 pm »
Ah, Ray, your loyal, and, a sense of humor, what a guy.

Mr Peabody

« Reply #108 on: 17 Jan 2012, 09:19 pm »
After more listening to the 400r I have a couple more comments, I've come to the conclusion that the bass issue must have been in the recording and possibly masked by lack of detail or control, I played some modern R&B like Vivian Green and the bass was very good, I could easily hear bass guitar from the kick drum and when synthetic low end bass was interjected the 400r controlled it very well while it played deep with no distortion and if any one has the first Paula Cole album that first track goes subterranian and the 400r gave it one of the best renderings I believe I've heard. 

So next I had to get nasty and play some Blues, not only was the bass good on Joe Bonomassa's Blues Deluxe there was a blistering acoustic guitar track which played through the 400r the best I've ever heard, it's like I've heard it before but compared to the 400r the notes were blurred, through the 400r I was able to depict all the notes, and Joe smokes on this track.  Then some SRV and even Bob Seger Live Bullet, I've determined the 400r sets the benchmark on "Boogie Factor".  When listening to drums the treble response seems extremely good, cymbals, high hat etc.  I also get a sense of vocals being more intelligible.  Oh, and I also listened to some CSN&Y which was very good, I could here each individual voice in the harmonies, and the overall timing was more precise.  I'm liking the 400r more and more as we spend time together.

I played some Barber, Vanessa Williams, Monk, Christian McBride, Vivaldi etc. but sometimes you have to boogie. :)

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #109 on: 18 Jan 2012, 04:28 am »
Mr P, in the brief time that I had the 600R for review I found the spacing between instruments exceptional.  It made older compressed recordings sound airy.

slippers-on

« Reply #110 on: 18 Jan 2012, 03:29 pm »
After more listening to the 400r I have a couple more comments, I've come to the conclusion that the bass issue must have been in the recording and possibly masked by lack of detail or control, I played some modern R&B like Vivian Green and the bass was very good, I could easily hear bass guitar from the kick drum and when synthetic low end bass was interjected the 400r controlled it very well while it played deep with no distortion and if any one has the first Paula Cole album that first track goes subterranian and the 400r gave it one of the best renderings I believe I've heard. 

So next I had to get nasty and play some Blues, not only was the bass good on Joe Bonomassa's Blues Deluxe there was a blistering acoustic guitar track which played through the 400r the best I've ever heard, it's like I've heard it before but compared to the 400r the notes were blurred, through the 400r I was able to depict all the notes, and Joe smokes on this track.  Then some SRV and even Bob Seger Live Bullet, I've determined the 400r sets the benchmark on "Boogie Factor".  When listening to drums the treble response seems extremely good, cymbals, high hat etc.  I also get a sense of vocals being more intelligible.  Oh, and I also listened to some CSN&Y which was very good, I could here each individual voice in the harmonies, and the overall timing was more precise.  I'm liking the 400r more and more as we spend time together.

I played some Barber, Vanessa Williams, Monk, Christian McBride, Vivaldi etc. but sometimes you have to boogie. :)

Dang Peabody...im tickled pink! First the Dyns...now this! I mean its like you've been hit in your head too the white meat and blood! I would have never thought you would have ever parted with Conrad Johnson....but from your readings the less expensive, and no bling AVA bested the expensive Conrad Johnson and bested it by a large margin! I cant wait to get to your place and take a listen. Who knows...there may be a AVA in my future.

Wayner

« Reply #111 on: 18 Jan 2012, 06:02 pm »

Th Absolute Sound is getting a sample shortly and promised a "whirl-wind" review, so it may be out in the next or two issues. I think that will say it all.

Wayner

Mr Peabody

« Reply #112 on: 18 Jan 2012, 11:58 pm »
If TAS gives a glowing review I'm glad my orders are already in before AVA gets swamped.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #113 on: 19 Jan 2012, 12:34 am »
If TAS gives a glowing review I'm glad my orders are already in before AVA gets swamped.
Well, good for you....everything gets a glowing review from TAS.   :roll:

charmerci

« Reply #114 on: 19 Jan 2012, 01:42 am »

I would imagine the process works something like this now. Due to advertising needs (i.e. income) the magazines either a) review components that have a good sound reputation or b) they do preliminary listening sessions before making a full review to save money.

By simply avoiding any probable negative reviews all together, companies continue to advertise.

rcag_ils

« Reply #115 on: 19 Jan 2012, 02:37 am »
I do think that magazines nowaday have a good idea what they would review well in advance, probably heard the eq. before they made the decision on which to review and to print on paper, they won't pull something off the shelf and give them a good/bad review, Gordon Holt at Stereophile did that back in the late 60's, gave eq a fair review, good or bad.
« Last Edit: 19 Jan 2012, 05:56 pm by rcag_ils »

Wayner

« Reply #116 on: 19 Jan 2012, 12:57 pm »

I'm glad we have you here to keep things fair and balanced.

martyo

« Reply #117 on: 19 Jan 2012, 01:39 pm »
I'm glad we have you here to keep things fair and balanced.

:thumb:  Yep, and that's the perfect descriptive term to use Wayner. 8)

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #118 on: 19 Jan 2012, 09:25 pm »
I just spoke with Frank and on Saturday I will picking up a 400R, FET Valve Preamp and FET Valve DAC to review.  I'm looking forward to it and will post my review on Tuesday.

Mr Peabody

« Reply #119 on: 20 Jan 2012, 01:02 am »
I'm jealous, I wish I lived closer so I could test drive some of that gear. :)