RMAF 2012 - Final Thoughts (Tyson & Pez)

Pez

Re: RMAF 2012 - Final Thoughts (Tyson & Pez)
« Reply #40 on: 16 Oct 2012, 02:16 am »
If we were blindfolded who would read the SPL meter we'd be carrying around?  :scratch:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #41 on: 16 Oct 2012, 02:18 am »
Jason man, there's and app for that!  It's a combo laser based walking cane and RTA in one!!!

Opus Flatus

« Reply #42 on: 16 Oct 2012, 02:19 am »
Very well done gentlemen. I really enjoyed the pictures and commentary. A massive effort well executed and appreciated. :thumb:

tull skull

• I can't send hare in search of anything!
« Reply #43 on: 16 Oct 2012, 02:22 am »
Thanks for volunteering to do this, we'll be super stoked to meet you at the next RMAF!

Well you don't know me so can't trust me but I would be willing to do it. Unfortunately I have to hang out more in the cheap and cheerful section if you know what I mean. Wasn't trying to be a jerk. I do think it would be a fun experiment.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #44 on: 16 Oct 2012, 02:25 am »
Well you don't know me so can't trust me but I would be willing to do it. Unfortunately I have to hang out more in the cheap and cheerful section if you know what I mean. Wasn't trying to be a jerk. I do think it would be a fun experiment.
Since it's purely subjective all you need are two working ears.   :P

Scottdazzle

« Reply #45 on: 16 Oct 2012, 02:29 am »
I tried to give fair shake to as many rooms as I could at RMAF and came away with a great appreciation for what Tyson and Pez accomplished this year.  I happened to cross paths with them a couple times and watched them in action.  They had carefully selected music, a clear sense of the musical and audio values they were listening for, and enormous energy and patience.  AC members are very fortunate to have them doing heavy lifting for us.  Agree with their judgments or not, their acuity and integrity deserve high praise. 

Tyson

« Reply #46 on: 16 Oct 2012, 02:30 am »
tull,
jtw is right.  I built most of my system myself and it's way, way, way less expensive than just about anything we heard at the show.  So all you need is good ears, a plane ticket, a hotel room, a blindfold, and the will! 

Blindfold or not, you should come to RMAF, you get to hear so much stuff in such a short period of time and you get a very good idea of the boundaries of hifi.  What I mean by that is this - there is a certain level of performance that has not (maybe cannot) be surpassed, and it's not all that far from what many might consider "mid-fi" gear.

Or, to put it another way, you will come to learn very quickly that with regard to the orgasmic praise heaped upon stupid expensive gear by professional audio reviewers is largely a result of them being full of shit.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #47 on: 16 Oct 2012, 02:32 am »
Or, to put it another way, you will come to learn very quickly that with regard to the orgasmic praise heaped upon stupid expensive gear by professional audio reviewers is largely a result of them being full of shit.
:lol: :thumb:

Pez

« Reply #48 on: 16 Oct 2012, 02:36 am »
blindfolded expect the photos to look like this...

:P

Seriously though I don't think being blinded is a workable idea, nor do I think it's necessary or helpful. If I like a system I like it. I was blown away by the Emotiva and the Voxativ. One costs $2500 the other costs as much as a house. I'm interested in buying neither.

Tyson

« Reply #49 on: 16 Oct 2012, 02:39 am »
Maybe as much as YOUR house, you 47 percenter.

tull skull

• I can't send hare in search of anything!
« Reply #50 on: 16 Oct 2012, 02:41 am »
Thank you guys. I am a little humbled by your gracious remarks. I hope no one in any way interpreted my comments as though Pez and Tyson are not to receive every accolade they have and 10x more. I look forward to it each year and love and appreciate all the hard work they go through for people like me.

I guess what I was trying to say is I don't think I could afford the plane ticket or the hotel. I am actually unemployed right now so would appreciate your prayers if you believe in that.

I have some ok stuff and have built some Kits. I was a dealer many many years ago so I do have a little background and am hype savvy. I would love to hang out with Tyson and Pez but I am 53 and doubt I could keep up with them for more than 3 or 4 rooms!

Again please don't take my suggestion as anything more than wondering what would happen and hopefully all of us having some fun with it.

roscoeiii

« Reply #51 on: 16 Oct 2012, 02:57 am »

Seriously though I don't think being blinded is a workable idea, nor do I think it's necessary or helpful. If I like a system I like it. I was blown away by the Emotiva and the Voxativ. One costs $2500 the other costs as much as a house. I'm interested in buying neither.

Umm, Dispenser of Truth, the Emotiva is $1500, and that includes the built in amps (400 watts, no less). Damn am I tempted by those.

Pez

« Reply #52 on: 16 Oct 2012, 03:06 am »
I just called Emotiva up, thanks to me they raised the price to $2500... You're welcome.  :wink:

roscoeiii

« Reply #53 on: 16 Oct 2012, 03:23 am »
My hero...

ltr317

« Reply #54 on: 16 Oct 2012, 03:33 am »
I just called Emotiva up, thanks to me they raised the price to $2500... You're welcome.  :wink:

Can you call them again and tell them to raise the price to $25,000?   :D

Pez

« Reply #55 on: 16 Oct 2012, 03:37 am »
Well being that they bested most other speakers that cost around $20,000...  :rotflmao:

ltr317

« Reply #56 on: 16 Oct 2012, 03:54 am »
Well being that they bested most other speakers that cost around $20,000...  :rotflmao:

In that case, maybe bring the price down to $15,000.  Then they could sell a million pairs!  :D :thumb:

anonymoustao

« Reply #57 on: 16 Oct 2012, 04:41 am »

Blindfold or not, you should come to RMAF, you get to hear so much stuff in such a short period of time and you get a very good idea of the boundaries of hifi.  What I mean by that is this - there is a certain level of performance that has not (maybe cannot) be surpassed, and it's not all that far from what many might consider "mid-fi" gear.

Well said!  That certainly mirrors my own experience at RMAF and Newport.  Thanks for all the great coverage.  You guys helped to make up for not being able to attend this year. 

rjbond3rd

« Reply #58 on: 16 Oct 2012, 12:57 pm »
Hi Tyson and Pez,

I was at the show, but thoroughly enjoyed your coverage.  It amped up the excitement, and was a good sanity check as well.  And once I returned home, it was great to read your reports as a retrospective of all I had missed -- it's just too vast to hear everything.

You both must be exhausted, as I was wiped out just walking around the hotel, room to room, with the feeling that I'd never even see half of what's there. So thank you very much to you both.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #59 on: 16 Oct 2012, 04:42 pm »
For me the best part was meeting you guys in person. Just good ol guys. BTW great work.

charles