Truth in Generalizations?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Truth in Generalizations?
« Reply #20 on: 5 Apr 2023, 02:27 pm »
If possible would you please explain phase splitting in layman’s terms or point me to a reference so I can read up on it?  And how are SET amps different?

Do all these tube benefits apply equally in both pre amp and power amp applications?

Do hybrids compromise sound quality or do they offer benefits beyond efficiency that someone should consider?

Thank you.  This stuff is interesting but at times like this I wish I would have studied EE rather than ME.

Here's a decent explanation - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KKhDG2GSvo

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #21 on: 5 Apr 2023, 03:12 pm »
SET also SE Pentodes are Class A amps, the output tube conduct the signal 100% of the time.
PP are Class B amps, each valve conducts the signal 50% of the time.
The phase splitter tube cuts the signal in two halves and sends it to the two output valves. So Class AB amps dont apply here.

I have a drawer that show this subject, I will post if I can found it.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #22 on: 5 Apr 2023, 03:23 pm »
Red Line = Class A run the signal 100%.
Blue Line = Class B run the signal 50%.
Class AB dont appear here, but it run 75%.

Kw6

« Reply #23 on: 5 Apr 2023, 04:09 pm »
This is a complex question, my opinion is don't buy a 300B amp, this is a expensive tube, much less these ANKs they use PCBs.

Instead look EL34, KT66, KT88, KT150 amps as Dennis Head Inspire Fire Bottle, it accept all these tubes and use point to point wiring, you can order custom made amps from Dennis.

I check on eBay and Dennis has no items for sale. How do we get a hold of him?

Kw6

« Reply #24 on: 5 Apr 2023, 04:16 pm »
Fullrangeman,

So SET El34 to similar SET 300b will sound same for tone, timbre, prat, soundstaging and in room presence? 300b tube doesn't possess any special qualities in their distortion profile to make it more musically accurate? It's just a 8 watts tube? I thought 300b were the holy grail of audio. On another sight a tube designer I think from Atmasphere said tube watts are tube watts. Would you agree. If true why people love the 45 and 2A3 tubes. I would like to hear your thoughts? Thanks again!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #25 on: 5 Apr 2023, 04:20 pm »
Pentodes strapped to triode mode sound good but not as good as true triodes.  A well implemented triode EL34 will not sound as good as a well implemented 300b.  That's assuming you have the right speakers.  IME, triode amps only sound their best high efficiency speakers (95 db and higher). 

If you don't have high efficiency speakers and you don't want to change your speakers, then a push-pull tube amp will be your best option for that type of speaker.  Luckily there's a ton of very good push-pull tube amps out there.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #26 on: 5 Apr 2023, 05:10 pm »
I check on eBay and Dennis has no items for sale. How do we get a hold of him?
Last friday he had a amp available and saturday gone, his amps are selling fast lately.

You have to PM Dennis on Ebay.

mick wolfe

« Reply #27 on: 5 Apr 2023, 05:29 pm »
Tyson....Once again, I agree for the most part. The exception for me being that I have no trouble driving GR NX Studio Monitors, Ohm 1000's or Klipsch 600M's in my small listening room using an 845 based LM 218ia. (SET @ 22 watts per channel)  None of these speakers measure 90db in efficiency. FWIW, I know the 600M in reality is only rated around 90 db at best, but nonetheless a pretty tube friendly drive. Admittedly, the key here is room size.( under 1000 cu. ft. in volume) My only experience on P-P amps running in triode mode vs. ultralinear had me putting the amp back in ultralinear  within 5 minutes. That said, I have no real experience with a well designed "SEP".

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #28 on: 5 Apr 2023, 06:02 pm »
  Using a 87db Speaker Qln one and 211 18W mono blocks with no issue. Also a 160W LSA Warp-1 Amp. Volume setting the same. Go figure.

charles

Jaytor

« Reply #29 on: 5 Apr 2023, 06:21 pm »
This is a complex question, my opinion is don't buy a 300B amp, this is a expensive tube, much less these ANKs they use PCBs.

Instead look EL34, KT66, KT88, KT150 amps as Dennis Head Inspire Fire Bottle, it accept all these tubes and use point to point wiring, you can order custom made amps from Dennis.
The ANK kits (at least the 300B monoblocks) use PCBs only for the DC filament regulator. The rest of the circuitry, including the B+ supply and all audio circuits are point to point. That said, I think a well implemented PCB can work quite well and I wouldn't rule out a design just because it uses PCBs. In fact, for a novice building, it's likely a PCB implementation will provide more consistent results.

I do agree that the 300B is an expensive tube, particularly for the better sounding tubes. But it is a robust tube that will likely last quite a long time and sounds excellent in a good implementation. 

The ANK C-Core transformers seem to be quite good, although top quality transformers from Hashimoto, Tango, Monolith, etc. might be a bit better.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #30 on: 5 Apr 2023, 11:08 pm »
The ANK kits (at least the 300B monoblocks) use PCBs only for the DC filament regulator. The rest of the circuitry, including the B+ supply and all audio circuits are point to point. That said, I think a well implemented PCB can work quite well and I wouldn't rule out a design just because it uses PCBs. In fact, for a novice building, it's likely a PCB implementation will provide more consistent results.

I do agree that the 300B is an expensive tube, particularly for the better sounding tubes. But it is a robust tube that will likely last quite a long time and sounds excellent in a good implementation. 

The ANK C-Core transformers seem to be quite good, although top quality transformers from Hashimoto, Tango, Monolith, etc. might be a bit better.
I dont see any point to point wiring.
They have an Transistor on that red square boad on the 2º image.
Any way they will sound good for many music lovers for some years.

Jaytor

« Reply #31 on: 6 Apr 2023, 01:44 am »
I dont see any point to point wiring.
They have an Transistor on that red square boad on the 2º image.
Any way they will sound good for many music lovers for some years.

The one that kw6 was interested in is the second one you posted photos of. Other than the regulated supply for the 300B filament. All the rest of the circuitry is point to point.

AllanS

« Reply #32 on: 6 Apr 2023, 03:18 am »
SET also SE Pentodes are Class A amps, the output tube conduct the signal 100% of the time.
PP are Class B amps, each valve conducts the signal 50% of the time.
The phase splitter tube cuts the signal in two halves and sends it to the two output valves. So Class AB amps dont apply here.

I have a drawer that show this subject, I will post if I can found it.
Here's a decent explanation - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KKhDG2GSvo

Thank you gentlemen.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #33 on: 6 Apr 2023, 01:12 pm »
Thank you gentlemen.

Don't believe everything you read in this thread.

Both of my push-pull amplifiers are class ab. In fact I have never seen any for stereo use that are class b, maybe some early PA amps.

The phase splitting = irrepairable damage usually indicates someone stuck in the early years of p/p designs.

Good and bad amplifiers exist in both categories.
Which is better depends upon the speakers and the listener's ears.

Kw6

« Reply #34 on: 7 Apr 2023, 05:04 pm »

Ok thanks for sharing your experience with me about AN!

Docere

« Reply #35 on: 9 Apr 2023, 12:12 am »
Don't believe everything you read in this thread.

Both of my push-pull amplifiers are class ab. In fact I have never seen any for stereo use that are class b, maybe some early PA amps.

The phase splitting = irrepairable damage usually indicates someone stuck in the early years of p/p designs.

Good and bad amplifiers exist in both categories.
Which is better depends upon the speakers and the listener's ears.

Quite some info expressed on this fourm that does not reflect my experience and in some cases is simply misinformation. Occasionally in the past I have attempted to clarify or correct, but I don't have the inclination to do that here any more. Use the info at your own risk.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #36 on: 9 Apr 2023, 01:57 am »
Many AC members have the habit of stating their personal opinion as if it were fact, they dont even write IMO.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #37 on: 9 Apr 2023, 02:07 am »
Many AC members have the habit of stating their personal opinion as if it were fact, they dont even write IMO.

Some with limited experience and super high post counts.  :roll:

Docere

« Reply #38 on: 10 Apr 2023, 06:34 am »

Indeed.

Some with limited experience and super high post counts.  :roll:

For sure.

whydontumarryit

• Restricted
« Reply #39 on: 10 Apr 2023, 10:14 pm »

The other members  are being far to kind to you. The question was how insane would you have to be to not understand that adding a dc bias to a PP amp to have it operate in class AB mode is somehow impossible in your mind.