Digital cables

Kw6

Digital cables
« on: 25 Apr 2022, 02:11 am »
Hi everyone!

I recently trying Toslink cable to my dac. Is there a minimum length like in copper cables of 1.5 metres.

Also any advantage using glass instead of plastic?

newzooreview

Re: Digital cables
« Reply #1 on: 25 Apr 2022, 02:35 am »
My experience is that the jitter inherent to Toslink obscures any variation in cables if the cable has no flaws or defects. I hear break-in improvements and differences in other types of cables, but I have not experienced that with Toslink.

Bluejeans Cables says "we use a jacketed plastic optical fiber (POF) cable. While POF is in general rather lossy stuff compared to glass optical fiber, we prefer it for optical digital audio use because it's much more physically durable and because its aperture matches the spec for optical digital audio use, unlike glass fiber which is too small and must be used in bundles…In our own usage, we've tested these cables at lengths up to 50 feet and found them to perform perfectly even at those extended distances. We hand-cut and terminate each of these cables ourselves…"

I use their Toslink in my TV setup (nothing high end and the only thing that works for the consumer-level stuff there). It's been trouble free for years. Their cables are about $2 per foot.

Kw6

« Reply #2 on: 25 Apr 2022, 03:19 am »
Thanks for the in depth explanation!😊

So you don't have to worry about cable reflections at 1 metre with Toslink?

newzooreview

« Reply #3 on: 25 Apr 2022, 03:35 am »
I have never heard of a 1m Toslink cable being a problem. For example, Audioquest sells all of their Toslink cables in 0.75m lengths. The DH Labs Glass Master Toslink starts at 0.5m.

newzooreview

« Reply #4 on: 25 Apr 2022, 03:39 am »
What DAC are you using? It's possible that someone has experience that could be shared about Toslink on that DAC.

Merryvale92

« Reply #5 on: 25 Apr 2022, 04:14 am »
Van den Hul OPTOCOUPLER Mk II. I've used one for years from my Music Hall CD player to the various dacs I've owned. I only recommend it as it consistently makes a very solid connection to whatever it is plugged into. I can't say that about other cables, including glass that I have tried. It's extremely flexible.

Kw6

« Reply #6 on: 25 Apr 2022, 04:17 pm »
Ok thanks good to know!

Kw6

« Reply #7 on: 25 Apr 2022, 04:19 pm »
What DAC are you using? It's possible that someone has experience that could be shared about Toslink on that DAC.

I'm going from Toslink out from my Cambridge 851N to my new Musician Pegasus dac! Right now using generic 3 metre Toslink from Amazon. Would I get better signal transmission at 1m or maybe 2 m?

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #8 on: 25 Apr 2022, 04:46 pm »
There is no minimum length for any analog or digital interconnect cable.
That length thing is just another audiophile misunderstanding.