Hoping to hear Omegas

eflatminor

Hoping to hear Omegas
« on: 26 Jun 2018, 11:49 pm »
Anyone in NorCal willing to allow a fellow audiophile listen to your Omega loudspeakers?  I'll buy you lunch!  I'm in Monterey.

I contacted Omega and found they were not planning on attending west coast audio shows, so I thought I'd look here.

Thanks!

hdrider

Re: Hoping to hear Omegas
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jul 2018, 02:39 pm »
Just saw your post, I don't frequent the forum too often. Did you ever find a pair of Omega's to listen to or did you move to another avenue? I have XRS7's MkII and a deep 8 sub running off all Decware. I live in Santa Cruz county (Boulder Creek). Let me know, I'll check back in a few days. Happy listening, Chris.

dB Cooper

« Reply #2 on: 13 Jul 2018, 04:16 pm »
I'm hoping Louis will see this; Omega is a brand I've never seen at a show or in a show report and I'd like to encourage them to exhibit at a show.

Delta77

« Reply #3 on: 13 Jul 2018, 04:30 pm »
I'm also thinking of changing speaker brands.. Been looking at Omega to run with my Decware ZMA .. I really have no experience with Omega, and find it difficult to understand how a singe 8" driver can reproduce all of the music in a holographic way as such as my Tekton speakers.. I would love to see a Omega / Decware system set up at a show..

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #4 on: 13 Jul 2018, 04:48 pm »
He was at RMAF  10 or 12 years ago, I don't think he felt (at the time) that the expense was worth it.
Also, maybe he is as busy as he wants to be without (potentially) increased sales.  :dunno:

A_shah

« Reply #5 on: 13 Jul 2018, 04:50 pm »
I'm also thinking of changing speaker brands.. Been looking at Omega to run with my Decware ZMA .. I really have no experience with Omega, and find it difficult to understand how a singe 8" driver can reproduce all of the music in a holographic way as such as my Tekton speakers.. I would love to see a Omega / Decware system set up at a show..

« Last Edit: 13 Jul 2018, 07:12 pm by A_shah »

RDavidson

« Reply #6 on: 13 Jul 2018, 06:49 pm »
Check out CRS acoustic, I believe Don Sach uses these to voice his amps ?, I believe they are point source imaging and have have a very narrow sweet spot. I am assuming Omega speakers are also point source imaging speakers ?

Asghar

Virtually all speakers try to approximate a point source. Omegas as well as these CRS Acoustics speakers you reference are single driver designs and thus inherently point source speakers. That they are point source designs, and single driver designs, says nothing about their imaging characteristics. Assuming a narrow sweet spot is baseless.
« Last Edit: 13 Jul 2018, 08:01 pm by RDavidson »

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #7 on: 13 Jul 2018, 09:50 pm »
Lack of auditioning possibilities is my main gripe with Omega.  Met Louis and heard his offerings at a MidWest Audio Fest about 16 years ago (all speakers/drivers have since changed).  Nice guy, but the only company marketing budget is him picking up the phone. 

The theory goes that drivers 'beam' high frequencies (like a flashlight) when the driver size is bigger than the wavelength.  Note that sound travels at 13,200 inches per second in air at sea level, so a 13,200 Hz signal is 1 inch long and beaming in a 1 inch driver would start above that frequency and a 5 inch driver would start to beam above 2,640 Hz.  The point is as frequency goes up the "sweet spot" would become narrower for a single driver speaker.  Simple physics.

RDavidson

« Reply #8 on: 13 Jul 2018, 10:48 pm »
Lack of auditioning possibilities is my main gripe with Omega.  Met Louis and heard his offerings at a MidWest Audio Fest about 16 years ago (all speakers/drivers have since changed).  Nice guy, but the only company marketing budget is him picking up the phone. 

The theory goes that drivers 'beam' high frequencies (like a flashlight) when the driver size is bigger than the wavelength.  Note that sound travels at 13,200 inches per second in air at sea level, so a 13,200 Hz signal is 1 inch long and beaming in a 1 inch driver would start above that frequency and a 5 inch driver would start to beam above 2,640 Hz.  The point is as frequency goes up the "sweet spot" would become narrower for a single driver speaker.  Simple physics.

Right. But, what you're saying is true of all drivers, not just single driver speakers. That's all I am "pointing" out.

This thread could easily turn into a very technical discussion on a topic that I know has been covered a lot. We all know that, due to physics inherent with current driver technologies, ALL speaker designs have their strengths and weaknesses. What's key is for the listener to understand this and match their preferences with a speaker design that best suits them.

With that said, all I can say is if you're interested in Omegas, find a way to listen to them. Talk to Louis. He'll help you out.
« Last Edit: 14 Jul 2018, 03:08 am by RDavidson »

medium_grade

« Reply #9 on: 16 Jul 2018, 05:07 am »
I am in So Cal (LA County) and I have a pair of Super 3 High Output Monitors and a pair of Super 3i Monitor Speakers.