wireless?

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
wireless?
« on: 26 Apr 2009, 06:55 am »
James,

what do you think about wireless (audio/video) data transfer? is Bryston going this route in the near future?

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: wireless?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Apr 2009, 11:30 am »
James,

what do you think about wireless (audio/video) data transfer? is Bryston going this route in the near future?

al.

Hi Alex,

We have discussed it in our engineering meetings. The only issue that seems to be reappearing is whether 44.1/16 bit (which I believe is the fastest sample rate currently available at this point) is worth pursuing or wait till hi-res streaming becomes available.

Also with my new computer setups (2- windows systems and one MAC Pro) I have listened to a few Internet wireless radio stations and so far find them extremely variable in quality. I believe the maximum transfer rate there is 320 kbps and so far some soures tell me that should be as good as CD?

james
« Last Edit: 26 Apr 2009, 01:03 pm by James Tanner »

perose

« Reply #2 on: 28 Apr 2009, 01:19 am »
The Logitech Transporter - Decoders: WAV, AIFF, MP3, WMA, FLAC with 24-bit resolution, and 44.1, 48, and 96 kHz sample rates
The Linn Klimax DS - File types supported: FLAC, WAV. Audio sample rates: 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176kHz, 192kHz. Word depths: 12–24 bits.

Also, I've seen that there are sites available that you can download hi-rez music from with Linn (up to 24bit 192KHz) being one of them.

I agree that if you're talking about Internet radio or CD quality then you don't need more than 16bit 44.1KHz but if your going to make a product that caters to the audiophile and is somewhat future proof then 24bit would seem to be the minimum.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 28 Apr 2009, 03:45 pm »
The Logitech Transporter - Decoders: WAV, AIFF, MP3, WMA, FLAC with 24-bit resolution, and 44.1, 48, and 96 kHz sample rates
The Linn Klimax DS - File types supported: FLAC, WAV. Audio sample rates: 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176kHz, 192kHz. Word depths: 12–24 bits.

Also, I've seen that there are sites available that you can download hi-rez music from with Linn (up to 24bit 192KHz) being one of them.

I agree that if you're talking about Internet radio or CD quality then you don't need more than 16bit 44.1KHz but if your going to make a product that caters to the audiophile and is somewhat future proof then 24bit would seem to be the minimum.

Hi perose,

Thanks - so your saying the Lynn system will wirelessly 'stream' files up to 192/24?
I will have to look at that.

james

Moon Doggy

« Reply #4 on: 28 Apr 2009, 04:01 pm »
The Linn Klimax is $20,000 if I recall correctly. :icon_surprised:

perose

« Reply #5 on: 28 Apr 2009, 07:16 pm »
James,

I believe the Linn is wired only at this point and as Moon Doggy points out VERY expensive. The Transporter on the other hand is by all accounts a very good DAC with front end wireless technology that makes for a complete package.