Wondering about UPS battery backups for the HiFi

EvanMcC

• Bryston, Dynaudio & Torus
Wondering about UPS battery backups for the HiFi
« on: 17 Dec 2013, 05:16 pm »
Hi there,

First post so I'm sorry if this is covered elsewhere - couldn't find anything.

A friend of mine who oversees large computer networks has asked me why I don't have an Uninteruptable Power Supply / Battery Backup on my expensive HiFi.

And I don't know the answer! All I could come up with was "This doesn't seem to be a normal practice in the hifi world so there must be a sonic/logistics reason". Which is weak...

Anyone have any insight? I understand you'd need a properly spec'd UPS, etc, etc, but wondering if there are reasons NOT to do this.

Thanks!

Evan

ricmon

Re: Wondering about UPS battery backups for the HiFi
« Reply #1 on: 17 Dec 2013, 08:58 pm »
Funny you bring this up.  Back when I fist started messing with this so called "hi-end" audio NEW (now defunct) was producing amps and preamp's that ran on battery power.  Which got me to thing about using USP's to power my system.  So yes I got my hands on a couple of UPS's and played my system off line.  It worked well but I latter learned that a properly designed amp (and pre amp) should preform very well plugged straight into a wall socket.  Which is what I do now (for power amps).  Power conditioning for the front end stuff.

harri009

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 17 Dec 2013, 11:25 pm »
The APC S15 was and is very popular. It creates a pure sine wave, which supposedly is much more costly to do vs the normal UPS which creates a square wave if you will. Most computer UPS's create such an awful power signal when on battery that you shouldn't use them for audio equipment.

EvanMcC

• Bryston, Dynaudio & Torus
« Reply #3 on: 18 Dec 2013, 08:13 pm »
Thanks.

Yes I wouldn't plan on actually listening while on battery power, but I've thought of having a UPS to deal with power outages and voltage swings, etc.

Many UPSs output 800-1300W, but I'm wondering if the entire stereo system can draw more than that through the UPS when needed, or if that's the total amount of power that a UPS can supply, whether via battery or the wall power...

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #4 on: 18 Dec 2013, 08:34 pm »
My Axxium 1000 was originally designed for data centers, but it does a great job with home electronics. All the power is provided by converting 12 VDC to stable 120 VCD power.