Would you or have you dumped your physical media?

Guy 13

Re: Would you or have you dumped your physical media?
« Reply #40 on: 6 Nov 2013, 08:35 am »
Hi JRace and all Audio Circle members.
Thanks JRace, that's good information.
That's information the way I like it.
That's how information should be.
Thanks.

Guy 13

drummermitchell

« Reply #41 on: 6 Nov 2013, 02:16 pm »
Sometimes physical media is more reliable especially when the power goes out which just happened to do just that last night.
Seems after the power went out(Semi hit a power pole downtown :o),and just so happened that I was busy ripping cds onto a new Seagate ext drive.
Power came back on and tried ripping again(DBpoweramp)all errors,seems the Seagate can't be found on my computer.
Funny thing is that I can still play music off it thru the BDP-2 as that and all other digital is fine,plus computer is running normal except for the Seagate and Bryston's Max program.
If I didn't keep my cds,I believe we'd be :Whale-Oil-Beef-Hooked,
Say that phrase slow and speed it up and you'll be cursing jus like a Newfoundlander :thumb:.
Time to call Chris(Bryston)to see if I need a new EXT drive :scratch:.

jonbee

« Reply #42 on: 6 Nov 2013, 08:32 pm »
Isn't it a violation of copyright laws to rip your CDs and then sell them?  I am not passing judgement if people do this, but they should be aware.

I am keeping all my physical media as a back up.
It is not a violation to rip or make one copy of a cd you own legitimately, as long as it its not distributed or used for non-personal or commercial purposes.
After the copy is made for your own use, you can sell or give away the cd. However, if you ever need to prove your copy was made legally, not having the cd makes it impossible to prove you made the copy legally, so you could get dinged for it.
Let's hope it never comes to this! I think the real point of liability comes into play if you make info about your copies public. This could trigger an action based on the presumption of a commercial or non-personal use of the copy.
I personally got rid of about 2/3 of my cd collection, ones I didn't listen to very much. First I ripped all my discs, and listen almost exclusively to one of my 2 servers. My 3-400 "fave" cds are stashed away, for car uses, backup, etc.
« Last Edit: 6 Nov 2013, 10:30 pm by jonbee »

spinner

« Reply #43 on: 6 Nov 2013, 10:24 pm »
  Yes for me as well. The idea of a physical record that I can feel, touch , smell, spin and play will always be the reason I'm the 'Spinner"   :icon_lol: :thumb:

robb

« Reply #44 on: 9 Nov 2013, 02:42 am »
NEVER----So much more convenient.

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #45 on: 9 Nov 2013, 03:55 am »
NEVER----So much more convenient.
  That's my take too. I love to see my collection on the shelves just within arms' reach. :thumb:

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #46 on: 9 Nov 2013, 04:28 am »
Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes! In a recent interview, David Bowie was asked about the bundling media marketing strategy for his new album  - which IMHO is a product of sheer genius and I'm not a Bowie fanboy -  and this special bundlng option included vinyl +cd +download +dvd.  When asked why would people still want to purchase vinyl and cds, his answer was "I have no idea, all my music is downloaded from the internet ". And just in case you in the cheap seats have fallen asleep, that was Bowie saying that he no longer purchases physical media. Mr. Innovation, David Bowie! 

So being mindful of the ever changing technology and the forthcoming flood of affordable DACs, servers, etc., why am I still stubbornly holding onto  several thousand lps and several thousand cds? Because I can. 

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #47 on: 9 Nov 2013, 05:21 am »

Sell 'em off and put the proceeds into Bowie Bonds...Mr. Innovation will thank you.  :green:

D.D.

srb

« Reply #48 on: 9 Nov 2013, 05:40 am »
After the copy is made for your own use, you can sell or give away the cd.

No, if you sell the CD, the right to make or possess a copy for personal use or backup is transferred to the new owner of the CD.

Steve

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #49 on: 9 Nov 2013, 06:50 pm »
I'm keeping all of my CDs, just in case.  Having two different backup drives, which aren't physically connected to the music server should keep me from having any catastrophic loss of my backups that might cause me to re-rip all of the media.  But, if I need to do that down the road, I'll be able to.

It took me a month of evenings to rip all of the CDs.  I've added around 100 more since then.

HsvHeelFan

Don_S

« Reply #50 on: 9 Nov 2013, 08:40 pm »
I am keeping all of my media.  After I filled up my storage cases and could not find any more of the same or anything else that I liked, I switched to:

They stack nicely and I can see the first CD in the case so I can immediately recognize the genre and alphabet range included. I generally only need to access the cases to add new purchases.

Mike Nomad

« Reply #51 on: 9 Nov 2013, 11:09 pm »
~
« Last Edit: 23 Oct 2019, 03:04 pm by Mike Nomad »