Would you or have you dumped your physical media?

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
Would you or have you dumped your physical media?
« on: 4 Nov 2013, 05:20 pm »
This year I have really noticed that a great many individuals are selling off their physical music media. Case in point, yesterday I was at a individual's place where he had just loaded his entire music collection into his computer and was selling off a 1500 CD music collection. Our local Goodwill store seems to be placing newly donated CDs on their shelves everyday. If you look at local "for sale" advertisements, many collections are for sale as an end result of uploading.

Are people repeating the same "faux pas" with their CDs as what many did with their record collections from decades past? I myself took a box or two of records to Goodwill a dozen or so years ago and I am reluctantly starting to kick myself in the derrière for doing this  :duh:  So, what happens if your storage device fails and you loose everything - yes, it should be backed up, but things do and can go wrong.

If I ever go the music file route, I will never repeat the mistake that I made with respect to my records in regards to CDs. Have you or would you dump your pyhsical music collection  :scratch:

Be well...

gene9p

Re: Would you or have you dumped your physical media?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Nov 2013, 05:26 pm »
I sold  some of my blu rays and older dvd's..but I won't make the mistake of giving away lp's like I did in the past when I moved. Some crappy cd's that I bought for god knows what reason I have no problem of moving out. I will never go all streaming whether audio or video files....ever.!!

dminches

« Reply #2 on: 4 Nov 2013, 05:33 pm »
Isn't it a violation of copyright laws to rip your CDs and then sell them?  I am not passing judgement if people do this, but they should be aware.

I am keeping all my physical media as a back up.

turnovertherecord

• rain,fog,snow,sun,known to happen on the same day
« Reply #3 on: 4 Nov 2013, 05:36 pm »
I have 800 plus LPs,I still make weekly purchase

I have appox 100 cds just started to purchase this year,as it provides great background music when a album is not able to be played

Have 5oo cassettes not played at this time,because of new in the works that is not complety setup,even some 8 tracks but do not know why

I still have lots of room,so no reason to get rid of anything yet,I am sure kids have there eyes on all that is audio for themselves , even my 1980 car I purchase when I was 20 they want it also

Most of kids have left home,only one left :D

Wayner

« Reply #4 on: 4 Nov 2013, 05:44 pm »
Isn't it a violation of copyright laws to rip your CDs and then sell them?  I am not passing judgement if people do this, but they should be aware.

I am keeping all my physical media as a back up.

Yes, they are breaking the copyright laws. Even copying is against the law.

Wayner

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #5 on: 4 Nov 2013, 05:53 pm »
I only have about 400 CDs, very few LPs. I won't get rid of any of them (backup purposes). For listening purposes though, I have ripped all my CDs to FLAC and have them stored both on my Windows Home Server as well as on an internal 2.5" SSD inside my BDP-2. I won't ever go back to a dedicated optical transport for audio, mostly for convenience. My LPs are from over 30 years ago and I don't have any that I think enough of yet to obtain a turn table, though I'd eventually like to venture into that realm.

PRELUDE

« Reply #6 on: 4 Nov 2013, 10:41 pm »
I never could understand that why people want to sell or dump their music media. Even if there is one or two good songs in one CD or LP, that would be good enough reason to keep it.
I would never get the rid of mine. It is something like my body part so I never think about that to sell it but I will buy it till last minute  when they are available. :thumb:
BTW, I think having something physically in your hand is still a king and will stay that way for some of us till end. 

dminches

« Reply #7 on: 4 Nov 2013, 10:56 pm »
People are ripping the CDs to a hard drive.  They aren't just throwing it out.

john1970

« Reply #8 on: 4 Nov 2013, 11:02 pm »
Ripped most of my CDs onto a 2.5" 0.5TB SSD in a BDP-2, but I am keeping the CD media as backup.

Best,
John

Scotlynn

« Reply #9 on: 4 Nov 2013, 11:30 pm »
I have somewhere around 10,000 cds, a couple of hundred sacds and a few thousand lps and just recently bought my first budget marantz music server to stream about 1.5 TB worth of stored flac files from my PC. I use the streaming strictly for background listening and stick to physical media for any real listening. Of course, streaming is not going to replace my vinyl, and can't replace my sacds, but I still prefer even my redbooks on my CDP over streaming. Much of that preference likely arises from the comparative quality of my CDP to the Marantz DAC, but I still can't ever see myself getting rid of my cd's. I guess I'm old fashioned (or just plain old) but I still enjoy the tactile experience of browsing for cds and lps and physically picking out a disc to spin much more than scrolling through my ipad and tapping an icon.

Laundrew

« Reply #10 on: 5 Nov 2013, 12:05 am »
I have somewhere around 10,000 cds, a couple of hundred sacds and a few thousand lps and just recently bought my first budget marantz music server to stream about 1.5 TB worth of stored flac files from my PC. I use the streaming strictly for background listening and stick to physical media for any real listening. Of course, streaming is not going to replace my vinyl, and can't replace my sacds, but I still prefer even my redbooks on my CDP over streaming. Much of that preference likely arises from the comparative quality of my CDP to the Marantz DAC, but I still can't ever see myself getting rid of my cd's. I guess I'm old fashioned (or just plain old) but I still enjoy the tactile experience of browsing for cds and lps and physically picking out a disc to spin much more than scrolling through my ipad and tapping an icon.

I would enjoy seeing a few photos of your storage solutions for your most awesome collection  :drool:  :thumb:

Be well...

mkaiser

« Reply #11 on: 5 Nov 2013, 12:33 am »
This year I have really noticed that a great many individuals are selling off their physical music media. Case in point, yesterday I was at a individual's place where he had just loaded his entire music collection into his computer and was selling off a 1500 CD music collection. Our local Goodwill store seems to be placing newly donated CDs on their shelves everyday. If you look at local "for sale" advertisements, many collections are for sale as an end result of uploading.

Are people repeating the same "faux pas" with their CDs as what many did with their record collections from decades past? I myself took a box or two of records to Goodwill a dozen or so years ago and I am reluctantly starting to kick myself in the derrière for doing this  :duh:  So, what happens if your storage device fails and you loose everything - yes, it should be backed up, but things do and can go wrong.

If I ever go the music file route, I will never repeat the mistake that I made with respect to my records in regards to CDs. Have you or would you dump your pyhsical music collection  :scratch:

Be well...

Nope.  :nono: I keep adding new CD's all the time to my collection.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #12 on: 5 Nov 2013, 12:37 am »
Me, too!  I am finding great CDs (Dorian, Reference, Telarc, etc.) for $1 in some places.  $3 at Goodwill, but it's for a good cause.

So keep dumping them, guys!   :thumb:

Mag

« Reply #13 on: 5 Nov 2013, 12:38 am »
Okay, it was legal for Canadians to download and borrow music from the library up until recently, under public domain laws. Naturally some of us took advantage of free downloads as we could see the writing on the wall with the shutdown of Napster then Galaxy.

The new Copy-right laws make it illegal for Canadians to now do so without having proof of purchase or backup copy. Under fair use, you can make a personal copy that you can use for private purposes.

What Canadians don't know is that the government has turned many of us into criminals. We are suppose to trash music that we don't have proof of purchase, like having the original cd or proof of download. Not going to happen. :nono:

Probably nothing to worry about as it's not likely to be enforced unless there's martial law. Then they'll have a legitimate reason to round people up and throw them in prison. :icon_surprised:

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #14 on: 5 Nov 2013, 12:59 am »
Not sure about the legality of ripping Cd's and storing on hard drive for my use...I don't care really since I'm not sharing or selling.
This makes it much more convenient for me as well as most everyone but I will hang on to the physical media. Cd's don't require much space. LP's require more space but I will make room.

If people sell their physical media I'm all for it. Just let me know when and where. I prefer buying actual physical media versus on-line purchase and cloud storage. I much prefer to have something I can hold in my hands.. Call me old fashioned.

Hard drives are pretty cheap but when they go south it's nice to know that you really haven't lost anything. Re-ripping isn't that big of a deal. Since I only have 1145 cd's I can find the time to rip them. With retirement in the near future I should have plenty of time. :D

Sorry to hear our Canadian friends might have legal issues with this.
Hard for me to understand these issues if you own the physical media and rip to cut down on wear and tear...

Laundrew

« Reply #15 on: 5 Nov 2013, 01:04 am »
Me, too!  I am finding great CDs (Dorian, Reference, Telarc, etc.) for $1 in some places.  $3 at Goodwill, but it's for a good cause.

So keep dumping them, guys!   :thumb:

Our Goodwill store has CD Tuesdays - 50% off and you can really get some fine selections for $1.00 per CD  :thumb:

Be well...

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #16 on: 5 Nov 2013, 02:56 am »
Our Goodwill store has CD Tuesdays - 50% off and you can really get some fine selections for $1.00 per CD  :thumb:

Be well...

Address, please?   :thumb:

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #17 on: 5 Nov 2013, 03:06 am »
At this point in time no. I am not using any downloads nor computer files for music.
I have a good collection of LP and CD and have no plans to dump them.
I DO weed out stuff constantly. To improve my collection though.
I would say in the past 30 days I have dumped/sold 150 LPs, and have a stck of 35 now to sell off.. locally back to dealers here.
I am about where I really want to remove the dross from my collections. So I have what i really like left. I am pretty close now.. so say another 10% to toss. and buy other stuff...
But that is ALL going to be in physical media.

dB Cooper

« Reply #18 on: 5 Nov 2013, 12:20 pm »
Ripped everything to lossless awhile back and that's how I listen. Selling off some physical media; giving away others (put a lot of my discs in "thin" space-saver jewel boxes years ago which hosed their resale value). When I buy a new CD these days, I rip it straight away and usually put the CD copy right on sale.

Guy 13

« Reply #19 on: 5 Nov 2013, 12:47 pm »
Hi all Audio Circle members.
Just bought from Amazon two LPs and one Cd of Adele.
One CD of Animucsic and one CD of Chesky.
That's probably my music purchase of the year. (About 75 USD)
I will take a few more decenies before I download music from the Internet.
I like to see and touch my vinyl and Cds.
Yes, I am old fashion and I like it.

Guy 13
(65 years, 8 months, 3 weeks, 5 hours and a few seconds old.)