Super Mini's up and playing over here.

Danny Richie

Super Mini's up and playing over here.
« on: 19 Jun 2019, 08:38 pm »
I finally got a pair of these hooked up and burning is. Man, these things sound good.

I just through them on a pair of stands and adjusted the big triple servo subs a bit to blend with them.

And yes, even on fresh fire up these things image like crazy, even with a big pair of speakers right behind them.

They are easy to build and have simple crossovers. I just coated this pair in Duratex.

And Jay did a great job on the flat packs. Everything fit together great.

And they measure super good as well. Here is the on axis response.

Oh, and here it is the way every other speaker company publishes their curves, on a 10db scale.

The crossing over of the drivers. And man oh man do these planar drivers blend well.

And one of the strengths of the planar drivers is how fast their are. This spectral decay is super fast and clean just like they sound.

And the impedance is about as easy of a load as you can get.

You can stack them onto just about anything that will play from 200Hz and down.

I'm working on a in-expensive solution using M-165 woofers in a matching stand. Powered by their own plate amp will make them real easy to blend too.

So for the complete kit with flat pack it is only $1,049 for the pair.
« Last Edit: 2 Sep 2019, 07:52 pm by Danny Richie »

spotlightaudio

Re: Super Mini's up and playing over here.
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jun 2019, 09:08 pm »
1049.00............. does that include crossovers?

Early B.

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jun 2019, 10:16 pm »
Aw, man!!!  I've been waiting for this kit for several years. What's the sensitivity on these?

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jun 2019, 11:40 pm »
1049.00............. does that include crossovers?

Yes.

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jun 2019, 11:41 pm »
Aw, man!!!  I've been waiting for this kit for several years. What's the sensitivity on these?

See the on axis frequency response. It averages 91db.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 19 Jun 2019, 11:52 pm »
The utterly seamless integration of the neo3 and neo10 has to be heard to be believed.  I've not heard any speaker that uses a cone midrange that can match it. 

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 20 Jun 2019, 12:03 am »
Glad you finally got to hear them setup.   They are great here!  :D

rockdrummer

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jun 2019, 01:50 am »
Danny, call you tomorrow to order up a pair of these.
Glad to hear how well they sound.
Ben

Captainhemo

« Reply #8 on: 20 Jun 2019, 02:00 am »
we have not had a  chance to build  out  a pair yet so have not heard them.   My hopes were   to  approach the imaging of the  Wedgie's by keeping the baffle  so narrow   and  rear mounting both the  Neo3 and Neo10 in   waveguides.
Good to hear both  you  and  Rich are  having    impressive  results with them  :)

jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 20 Jun 2019, 02:08 am »
Danny, call you tomorrow to order up a pair of these.
Glad to hear how well they sound.
Ben

Looks like Ben's picked out his next kit  :thumb:

rockdrummer

« Reply #10 on: 20 Jun 2019, 03:07 am »
Mlundy, you got it!
I was looking for a reason to not go with these drivers, and this has pushed me to go for it.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #11 on: 20 Jun 2019, 06:06 am »
So for the complete kit with flat pack it is only $1,049 for the pair.

Awesome, looks simple enough that anyone should be able to assemble these with nominal effort, time or know how. Is there any No-Res on the short wing? Also, what exactly is the function and effect of No-Res in an OB design?

Just thinking out loud here, could this two way design work as a floor stander without the deep wing extending to the height of the drivers? Based on my limited DIY OB experiments, I didn't like the effect wings had on the soundstage and much preferred wingless OBs, but then again I didn't try damping the inside of the wings.

I'm working on a in-expensive solution using M-165 woofers in a matching stand. Powered by their own plate amp will make them real easy to blend too.

Would this be OB or enclosed?

HT cOz

« Reply #12 on: 20 Jun 2019, 08:18 am »
These are looking interesting but feel like parts of a speaker.  They need that final step of being integrated with lower frequency drivers which look like they belong together. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #13 on: 20 Jun 2019, 02:37 pm »
Just thinking out loud here, could this two way design work as a floor stander without the deep wing extending to the height of the drivers? Based on my limited DIY OB experiments, I didn't like the effect wings had on the soundstage and much preferred wingless OBs, but then again I didn't try damping the inside of the wings.

I am working on extending it to the floor with a lower section. It will likely be a powered lower section.

The wings have no ill effect to the sound stage. Without the wings it doesn't work at all. I'd have to compensate for a huge dipole peak and then they'd have to cross to something else at 400 to 500Hz. And splitting the mid-range is not a good idea.

And the No Rez dampens the wing and minimizes reflections off of it.

And everything I am working on below will be open baffle as well.

Danny Richie

« Reply #14 on: 20 Jun 2019, 02:38 pm »
These are looking interesting but feel like parts of a speaker.  They need that final step of being integrated with lower frequency drivers which look like they belong together.

I agree 100%. I'm working on it.

rockdrummer

« Reply #15 on: 20 Jun 2019, 02:59 pm »
Ordered a pair. Thanks for answering my questions, Danny.

I plan to post build pics, but with such simple cabinets maybe just finishing pics. Plan to epoxy like my h frames.
Be back soon!
Can't wait.
Ben

grimace

« Reply #16 on: 20 Jun 2019, 07:38 pm »

Yes, yes, yes!   :D :D :D

Nick77

« Reply #17 on: 20 Jun 2019, 07:50 pm »
Maybe not so finished looking but much improved sitting on top of the dual servos's. (Compliments Hollis audio.)  :wink:

Captainhemo

« Reply #18 on: 20 Jun 2019, 09:27 pm »
On top of  3  M165's  in a  same sized cabinet  as the  lower part of the NX-Otica

jay
« Last Edit: 21 Jun 2019, 03:54 am by Captainhemo »

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #19 on: 21 Jun 2019, 12:10 am »
Would the M130 fit in the front baffle width, facilitating a cabinet build similar to the NX-oticas?  Would say a quad of them be able to reach low enough in frequency to get a full-ish range design out of the deal?