A no compromise integrated amplifier. Can it be done?

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
Everybody always says separates are the best. I was considering building 40 and 60 watt tube amps with a Beacon Two preamplifier built in. No corners would be cut! The Beacon Two will contain exactly the same audio components as the stand-alone version when integrated into the amp.

Does that sound like a good idea? Save space with absolutely no sonic shortcomings!

wharfrat

Re: A no compromise integrated amplifier. Can it be done?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Sep 2010, 12:59 pm »
Yes!  I'm often disappointed when I audition an integrated and find overall prat lacking.  Also, is it possible to include  biasing servo/knob in order to adjust sound to room and speaker specifics?

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #2 on: 26 Sep 2010, 01:08 pm »
Yes. The NS-40 and NS-60 have tunable biasing and adjustable feedback controls as standard features. Tunable feedback is a method of biasing tubes without the use of a volt meter. I preset the bias during burn in. After that, all you have to do is adjust for best sound and lowest heat output.

Variable feedback makes it possible to accurately adjust the amplifier's feedback system to your speaker and room's sonic characteristics. This feature make it possible to hear exactly what your speakers are capable of.
« Last Edit: 26 Sep 2010, 02:39 pm by Niteshade »

Guy 13

« Reply #3 on: 26 Sep 2010, 02:55 pm »
Everybody always says separates are the best. I was considering building 40 and 60 watt tube amps with a Beacon Two preamplifier built in. No corners would be cut! The Beacon Two will contain exactly the same audio components as the stand-alone version when integrated into the amp.

Does that sound like a good idea? Save space with absolutely no sonic shortcomings!
Hi Blair.
<< The Beacon Two will contain exactly the same audio components as the stand-alone version when integrated into the amp. >>
...and will make you save money on the interconnects !
That sounds good to me.
Guy 13.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 26 Sep 2010, 03:13 pm »
Looks a great idea to me.
I must say a Integrated + monoblock are irresistible to me, to put the amps near the speakers, and not spend in interconnects and power cord to an external preamp.
You are in the right way.
Gustavo

>Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a cat or dog from the street. On the streets they live only two years average.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #5 on: 26 Sep 2010, 11:09 pm »
I see no reason why a compromise has to be made with an integrated system that is first-rate quality. As soon as I have time, an integrated NS-40 will be made and it may just have a few surprises. It will have the best of all ingredients- no upgrades will be necessary on a component level. The SE upgrade (our BEST upgrade) will be available.

By now you know how I make circuits: Very streamlined and concise. I can't tell you what a boon that is when it comes to integrating a full-fledged top of the line preamp with a stereo tube amplifier. No compromises and no awful birds nests to deal with. It will be busy, but not impossibly so.

Guy 13

« Reply #6 on: 27 Sep 2010, 12:32 am »
I see no reason why a compromise has to be made with an integrated system that is first-rate quality. As soon as I have time, an integrated NS-40 will be made and it may just have a few surprises. It will have the best of all ingredients- no upgrades will be necessary on a component level. The SE upgrade (our BEST upgrade) will be available.

By now you know how I make circuits: Very streamlined and concise. I can't tell you what a boon that is when it comes to integrating a full-fledged top of the line preamp with a stereo tube amplifier. No compromises and no awful birds nests to deal with. It will be busy, but not impossibly so.
Hi Blair and all Audio Circle members.
What is the purpose of a built line preamplifier when most of the sources have 2V output ?
My NS-15 amplifier can give full output with 2V input, why would I need a built-in line preamplfier ?
Quote :
<< ...no upgrades will be necessary on a component level. The SE upgrade (our BEST upgrade) will be available. >>

<< Best up grade available >> to me, means available as an extra, extra money that is. Do you mean : SE upgrade will be built-in ?
Please explain. Thanks.
Guy 13.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 27 Sep 2010, 01:31 am »
Hello Guy13,
Excuse me to reply before Mr.Blair.  Various experts guys say me an good preamp can filter the cd player ultrasonic digital noise and lower the cd output impedance to under 200 ohms to delivery a clean and useful music signal to the power amp.
Maybe a preamp may do others functions too, but Iam unaware of it.
Regards, Gustavo

>Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a cat or dog from the street. On the streets they live only two years average.

Guy 13

« Reply #8 on: 27 Sep 2010, 01:41 am »
Hello Guy13,
Excuse me to reply before Mr.Blair.  Various experts guys say me an good preamp can filter the cd player ultrasonic digital noise and lower the cd output impedance to under 200 ohms to delivery a suited music signal to the power amp.
Maybe a preamp may do others functions too.
Regards, Gustavo

Hi FULLRANGEMAN !
Are you the brother of : Crossoverman ? (Ha, ha...)
Sorry, Hi Gustavo.
Thanks for your opinion on the preamplifier, what you wrote makes sense. Now, using a preamplifier, does it really improve the sound ? That remain to be heard by myself, becasue I am an eternal sceptical audiophile.
Before having a final opinion, I will wait for other Audio Circle members to jump in to see what they have to say and of course, Blair will have the final word.
Guy 13.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 27 Sep 2010, 02:11 am »
Hi FULLRANGEMAN !
Are you the brother of : Crossoverman ? (Ha, ha...)
Sorry, Hi Gustavo.
Thanks for your opinion on the preamplifier, what you wrote makes sense. Now, using a preamplifier, does it really improve the sound ? That remain to be heard by myself, becasue I am an eternal sceptical audiophile.
Before having a final opinion, I will wait for other Audio Circle members to jump in to see what they have to say and of course, Blair will have the final word.
Guy 13.
Dear Guy13,
I feel Iam brother of Crossoverless.  It can improve the sound only if the preamp have a good design and are well built, and the pre + power amp have a good synergy. Of course the final judge are your ears.

By financial reasons Iam fan of integrated amps with passive preamps(only a volume control knob).
Regards, Gustavo

chlorofille

• 8'' MTM with scanspeak 21w8554 & D2904 7100
« Reply #10 on: 27 Sep 2010, 04:39 am »

Niteshade : If you make the integrated amp, can you add a bypass for the pre-amp so that the end user can use their own preamps if necessary ?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #11 on: 27 Sep 2010, 12:24 pm »
The purposes of a pre-amp are:

1. Sell more interconnects/components
2. Offer another place to add flavorings or colorations to the sound
3. Match impedances (this shouldn't be an issue, especially with good quality components but it is too often)
4. Provide more options for sources (including phono inputs), subwoofer outputs, and other features
5. Allow the audio hunter another opprotunity to bag another trophy.

chlorofille

• 8'' MTM with scanspeak 21w8554 & D2904 7100
« Reply #12 on: 27 Sep 2010, 02:13 pm »
I find point #2 very important. What do you guys think ?
Personally I have built around 15 DIY amps and 10 preamps just to find my favourite combo.

Guy 13

« Reply #13 on: 27 Sep 2010, 02:26 pm »
I find point #2 very important. What do you guys think ?
Personally I have built around 15 DIY amps and 10 preamps just to find my favourite combo.
Hi Chlorofille.
A pre amplifier - amplifier should not have any coloration, it should be neutral.
That being said, I think everybody without really knowing it, will be influence in choosing a pre-amplifier that has some coloration and that make the sound to your liking.
The same apply to the speakers.
It should not be like that, but it is !
Guy 13.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #14 on: 27 Sep 2010, 02:31 pm »
The purposes of a pre-amp are:

1. Sell more interconnects/components
2. Offer another place to add flavorings or colorations to the sound
3. Match impedances (this shouldn't be an issue, especially with good quality components but it is too often)
4. Provide more options for sources (including phono inputs), subwoofer outputs, and other features
5. Allow the audio hunter another opprotunity to bag another trophy.

How about gain?

Wasn't the original idea to use the preamp as a voltage amp and then send the signal to a power amp?

Seems like a lot of the time the gain structure of equipment is so random it's hard to say if you need a preamp for amplification or not. I do, so not running a preamp isn't an option for me. I've tried bypassing it using Foobar's volume control and it's def. better with the preamp in the system, but if I didn't need the gain, IDK...

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #15 on: 27 Sep 2010, 02:39 pm »
To answer the original question... Yes, but IMO you'd need to have separate power supplies (at least 4) and separate chassis, or one very large and cumbersome chassis. Hence separate preamp/amp. I do believe this is the best way to go.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #16 on: 28 Sep 2010, 12:07 am »
I use a preamp to obtain more gain. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a passive (attenuator). With some equipment passives work better and some amps sound better with preamps. I like the idea of a tube integrated amplifier with an authentic tube preamp because:

1] No cables to buy!
2] Both units can be perfectly matched
3] A few circuit enhancements can be built in to actually reduce coloration.  :eyebrows:
4] It will be compatible with more audio systems.
5] It's a space saver.

Here's the interesting part: I'm not making this as a means to save money. If that were the case, there would be compromises. It is easier to make two separate units in terms of wiring and dedicating chassis real-estate. The goal is to make one unit that offers no compromises YET is convenient and easy to use.

I do have some proprietary methods of adding gain stages that do not color sound and are extremely quiet. It's a delicate balance and took a long time to perfect. The SE upgrade uses this approach.
« Last Edit: 28 Sep 2010, 11:24 am by Niteshade »