240 watt D.C. regulated filament supply

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
240 watt D.C. regulated filament supply
« on: 16 Feb 2012, 02:17 pm »

The holes on the back are for attaching a heat sink which is on an aluminum subframe. The subframe has to be mounted first and the sink is second. After that, everything else is done.
« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2012, 06:22 pm by Niteshade »

Guy 13

Re: 240 watt D.C. regulated filament supply photos
« Reply #1 on: 16 Feb 2012, 03:45 pm »
Hi Blair and all Audio Circle members.
Nice units !
Can the rear power socket be mounted vertically instead of horizontaly?
Can I supply my own 12VDC connectors (Two sets of male/female connectors) which are heavy duty model?
I don't like the 1/4" phono jack, but that's me.
Guy 13

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #2 on: 16 Feb 2012, 11:33 pm »
The power socket can be mounted differently. The enclosure is three inches tall. You may supply your own connectors.

A good upgrade would be the use of Speakon's for the PS & Amp. I was also thinking of insulated 5-ways for the output.

Guy 13

« Reply #3 on: 17 Feb 2012, 05:48 am »
The power socket can be mounted differently. The enclosure is three inches tall. You may supply your own connectors.

A good upgrade would be the use of Speakon's for the PS & Amp. I was also thinking of insulated 5-ways for the output.

Can you explain further more what is insulated 5-ways for the output.

A picture would be even better.

Slowly but shurely you are getting closer (Cosmetically) to what I want.

By the time I get back to Canada, maybe you will be able to offer me exactly what I have been looking for for many years.

Keep up the good work.

Guy 13.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #4 on: 17 Feb 2012, 12:45 pm »
An insulated 5-way is what you see on the back of my amplifiers for speakers. They have a black insulated nut that goes over a shaft with a hole in it. They have an industry standard spacing for test equipment leads and can accept probes, banana plugs, bare wire, lugs, etc... The ones I use are rated for 20 Amps DC, low voltage and are gold plated.

I an amp here receiving a Mark III upgrade, so I'll take a photo of that.

Guy 13

« Reply #5 on: 18 Feb 2012, 07:57 am »
An insulated 5-way is what you see on the back of my amplifiers for speakers. They have a black insulated nut that goes over a shaft with a hole in it. They have an industry standard spacing for test equipment leads and can accept probes, banana plugs, bare wire, lugs, etc... The ones I use are rated for 20 Amps DC, low voltage and are gold plated.

5 ways speaker terminals. Hummm...

With those, can you not plug them in reverse if you don't follow the polarity color (Red + black) ? ? ?

Always ready to feast my eyes with pictures of nice stuff.

Your NS-40 is 1,200 USD and your NS-SEP20 is 1,250 USD.
Since my Audio 13 (GR Research) speakers ar 95DB+ efficient, I was wondering if I would be better with the NS-SEP20, 20wpc is more than enough for me.

In your opinion, which one as better sound?

Guy 13

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #6 on: 18 Feb 2012, 09:26 pm »
Yes- you could plug the wires in backwards with 5-ways. Perhaps Speakons would be better.

Which would sound better- a SEP20 or NS-40. That depends on what you and/or your customers value the most. The dividing line between them regarding performance has become VERY thin since the MKIII upgrades and since both operate best with DC filaments. Both amps provide attention to minute details. The NS-40 has more dynamic range than the SEP20, yet the SEP20 has a fluidness to it that reminds me of an 845 amplifier. It differs from an 845 in that the top is not not blunt nor is the middle frequency response bloated. So- think high end 845 with a linear frequency response.

Something you'll like: The 240 watt power supply shown here can operate an amplifier plus a preamplifier at the same time. This is for the filaments only. It can even operate two 100 watt mono blocks and a preamp at once.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #7 on: 22 Feb 2012, 01:34 pm »
SEP20 + PS-240 = A wonderful combination.

Guy 13

« Reply #8 on: 23 Feb 2012, 09:55 am »

I saw somewhere in one of your threads that your DC filament power supply as an output of 12VDC,
but all the tubes (Except rectification) are 6V
(6L6 - 6SN7).
Can you clarify?
Also, about the 5ways terminals you mention above,
if the wires are connected in reverse, it should not matter since the filaments do not have a polarity, am I correct?

Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #9 on: 23 Feb 2012, 09:58 am »
SEP20 + PS-240 = A wonderful combination.

If the DC filament power supply enclosure length was the same as the depth of the main amplifier,
it would take less space and maybe also look nicer.
What do you think?

Guy 13

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #10 on: 23 Feb 2012, 03:29 pm »
It could be made the same depth (10") as the amplifier. However, it can not be made shorter. The board takes up about 75% of the space. The other 25% is for everything else. In fact, models that are made to run more than a single tube device will have to be made longer.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: 23 Feb 2012, 03:30 pm »
It could be made the same depth (10") as the amplifier. However, it can not be made shorter. The board takes up about 75% of the space. The other 25% is for everything else. In fact, models that are made to run more than a single tube device will have to be made longer.
Yes, I think guy is talking about stacking them though.   :dunno:

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #12 on: 23 Feb 2012, 03:35 pm »
Ah- Stacking. It could be done- however, a spacer should be used in between them or I could put rubber feet on the amp or preamp.

gcos

« Reply #13 on: 23 Feb 2012, 07:17 pm »
With this upgraded ps what additional tubes are available for rolling besides the 6L6 types ?  KT66 ? KT88 ? any 8 pin ?

gcos

« Reply #14 on: 23 Feb 2012, 09:11 pm »
Ah- Stacking. It could be done- however, a spacer should be used in between them or I could put rubber feet on the amp or preamp.

I think what Guy13 means is to orient the enclosure so what are now the front and back will become the sides.
So the power switch and the on light will be moved to one of the shorter sides and the power inlet to the other short side. In that way it will take up less shelf width.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #15 on: 23 Feb 2012, 09:25 pm »
I have to keep it the wide way for now due to the size of the internal components.

There is no limitation on filament current with this supply. You could even run two big mono blocks PLUS a preamp.

If the amp has 4 KT88's, the draw is going to be roughly 36 watts. Add 9 watts for the 6SN7's.

NOTE: I am presently working on the power supplies to get a few more volts out of them so I can have a wider adjustment range.

Guy 13

« Reply #16 on: 24 Feb 2012, 12:51 pm »
I think what Guy13 means is to orient the enclosure so what are now the front and back will become the sides.
So the power switch and the on light will be moved to one of the shorter sides and the power inlet to the other short side. In that way it will take up less shelf width.

What I mean is same height and depth for the DC filament chassis.

Below, my hand sketch should clarify what I mean.

I still have an unanswered question.
The DC filament power supply should not have any issue with polarity, since the tube filament are not polarized.

Guy 13.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #17 on: 24 Feb 2012, 02:13 pm »
I see. I like the way it looks too.

The best thing that can be done it to make the power supply the same depth as the amp. It can not be made any less wide due to the way these have to be constructed, size of internal components and because the backside sockets need room.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #18 on: 24 Feb 2012, 03:16 pm »
Guy 13.

I think if you add some drawn people you would have a heck of a NS cartoon.

Guy 13

« Reply #19 on: 25 Feb 2012, 12:36 am »
I see. I like the way it looks too.

The best thing that can be done it to make the power supply the same depth as the amp. It can not be made any less wide due to the way these have to be constructed, size of internal components and because the backside sockets need room.

The same depth as the main amplifier is good.

How wide is the actual DC filament power supply?

Guy 13