Modwright KWA 100SE – turn on & forget about it

hondo

Modwright KWA 100SE – turn on & forget about it
« on: 20 Jan 2011, 06:11 pm »
I recently purchased a Modwright KWA 100SE amplifier.  With the 100SE you can turn it on, set back, enjoy music, and forget about your amp.  The amp is so good, just listen to the music.

I listen primarily to vinyl through an Allnic H-3000 phonostage and a Modwright LS & PS 36.5 linestage.  I like a tubed front end and a solid state amplifier.   My more expensive, previous amp was very good.  It had  excellent resolution and dynamics with almost no listening fatigue.  I wanted a denser sound, resolution, dynamics, and no listening fatigue.  The 100SE has completely filled the bill.  I hooked it up, powered it up, and no longer think about my power amplifier.  As a bonus, it generates  little heat and I do not have to turn it off.  I now have Modwright elegance, simplicity, and truth. 

The 6 Moons review by Sajan Ebaen does a good job for describing the sound of the amplifier.

wywires

Re: Modwright KWA 100SE – turn on & forget about it
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jan 2011, 07:25 pm »
+1...I had the SE at my house for a week and then at the Fritz/Modwright/WyWires room at the Flamingo for 4 days. Sounds really, really good and I believe a best buy in it's price category and above too. Very well built and runs cool. I really like the LED's that light up the inside. Absolutely no harshness with this SS amp.

We received many favorable comments on the pleasant, coherent sound. Thanks Dan!

jhm731

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jan 2011, 09:07 pm »
+1. Got my black KWA100SE on Monday.

Hondo, what cables are you using?

jhm731

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jan 2011, 05:20 am »
I use balanced PS Audio Transendent cables from the phonostage to linestage and linestage to amp.

What speaker cables are you using?

morganc

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jan 2011, 04:50 am »
And what speakers Hondo?

jriggy

« Reply #5 on: 23 Jan 2011, 04:15 pm »
+1...I had the SE at my house for a week and then at the Fritz/Modwright/WyWires room at the Flamingo for 4 days. Sounds really, really good and I believe a best buy in it's price category and above too. Very well built and runs cool. I really like the LED's that light up the inside. Absolutely no harshness with this SS amp.

We received many favorable comments on the pleasant, coherent sound. Thanks Dan!

Alex or Dan,

Was this CES set up using Wywires IC's, SC's and PC's??? Or were the power cords's LessLoss?

wywires

« Reply #6 on: 23 Jan 2011, 04:24 pm »
Alex or Dan,

Was this CES set up using Wywires IC's, SC's and PC's??? Or were the power cords's LessLoss?

Lessloss? Are you kidding me? All interfaces and PC's were Wywires. The power strip was CryoParts. The PC's were fitted with the ATL copper Edison's and IEC's. Also we ran the preamp and power amp balanced with Xhadow XLR's.

Sounded totally fabulous! Thanks again Dan and Fritz!

jriggy

« Reply #7 on: 23 Jan 2011, 05:16 pm »
No offence :oops:  :wink:  I just thought that Dan always used Lessloss on his amps. Thought I read that from someone...

I enjoyed my time with your cables Alex and may want to speak with you at some point.

jhm731

« Reply #8 on: 23 Jan 2011, 06:49 pm »
Lessloss? Are you kidding me? All interfaces and PC's were Wywires. The power strip was CryoParts. The PC's were fitted with the ATL copper Edison's and IEC's. Also we ran the preamp and power amp balanced with Xhadow XLR's.

Sounded totally fabulous! Thanks again Dan and Fritz!

Thanks for the info.  BTW- the link on your website for CryoParts doesn't work, try this:
http://www.cryo-parts.com/index.php/wywires/wywires-power-cable

Looking for speakers cables to use with my KWA 100SE, but yours are too expensive, think I'll try these:
http://www.groverhuffman.com/speakercables

wywires

« Reply #9 on: 23 Jan 2011, 07:06 pm »
Thanks for the heads up on the link...I'll get it fixed.

Alex