Multi-channel Setup with Vandersteen 5As

dminches

Multi-channel Setup with Vandersteen 5As
« on: 28 Feb 2013, 03:22 pm »
I was wondering how others have configured their processors in a multi-channel setup with 5As as the front speakers.  Most processors require one to set the crossover point so it knows what to send to the sub.  Given that the 5As have built in subs, I am not sure what the best setting is.

For reference, I am using the following in my setup: 2 5As, 4 VSMs, 1 VCC-5 and a Velodyne DD-15 sub.

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
Re: Multi-channel Setup with Vandersteen 5As
« Reply #1 on: 28 Feb 2013, 04:29 pm »
Set them full range, no crossover for the mains, crossover the rest as required.

geowak

« Reply #2 on: 28 Feb 2013, 05:20 pm »
Deleted last post. Not intended for this topic.....
but I have done (in the past) what Mr Behr suggested and it does work.

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
Re: Multichannel Setup with Vandersteen 5As
« Reply #3 on: 28 Feb 2013, 05:24 pm »
golfugh: "Set them full range, no crossover for the mains, crossover the rest as required."

Indeed.  Unless you define your system as not having a SW, the pre-pro sends whatever is on the '.1' channel to the SW.  Defining any of the 5 speakers as Small sends that speaker's bass, too, to the SW.  I define my system as not having a SW and then drive my pair of SuperSubs in parallel with the front-L/R channels.  That way the 'Subs work with 2-channel signals, too.

dminches

« Reply #4 on: 28 Feb 2013, 06:25 pm »
Don't you have 5As too?  Do you need the extra bass with them?

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
Re: Multichannel Setup with Vandersteen 5As
« Reply #5 on: 1 Mar 2013, 03:40 am »
Don't you have 5As too?  Do you need the extra bass with them?

I do indeed have 5As, and I listen to music most of the time with the SuperSubs not turned on.  For movies, the SSs are turned on...most of the time.