Let's talk about Subs

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
Re: Let's talk about Subs
« Reply #60 on: 11 May 2024, 12:36 pm »
How would one determine whether to go with all forward facing drivers vs staggered? I read the FAQ note regarding waves and room interaction, but it's somewhat ambiguous.

Room placement would be fairly close to the front wall, so I'm thinking drivers facing forward makes the most sense.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #61 on: 11 May 2024, 12:49 pm »
If it is less than 3 ft from the front wall, an open baffle sub would not be the best choice.  OB subs need space behind them to work well.

A forward facing sealed sub would most likely work better. 

catastrofe

« Reply #62 on: 11 May 2024, 01:01 pm »
Well, I've got that covered with my F12s, but a couple of Double Troubles would look so good...

catastrofe

« Reply #63 on: 11 May 2024, 02:15 pm »
If it is less than 3 ft from the front wall, an open baffle sub would not be the best choice.  OB subs need space behind them to work well.

A forward facing sealed sub would most likely work better.

One point of clarification when referring to distance from the front wall with OB speakers (subs or mains)...is that the distance from the front of the baffle, the front of the drivers, the rear of the drivers, or some other reference point?

Early B.

« Reply #64 on: 11 May 2024, 02:16 pm »
Go and grab some double troubles. My philosophy is to buy whatever sounds the best. There will always be trade-offs and limitations. Sure, OB works best a few feet off the wall, but even when they're close to the wall, they sound better than any box sub I've heard.   

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #65 on: 11 May 2024, 03:36 pm »
One point of clarification when referring to distance from the front wall with OB speakers (subs or mains)...is that the distance from the front of the baffle, the front of the drivers, the rear of the drivers, or some other reference point?

3 feet from the back-side of the front baffle.

catastrofe

« Reply #66 on: 11 May 2024, 05:36 pm »
3 feet from the back-side of the front baffle.

Thank you.