4.5" hemp drivers?

chadh

4.5" hemp drivers?
« on: 6 Jan 2007, 03:44 am »

Louis,

I have a birthday coming up, and have to field all sorts of enquiries about what I want for a gift.  Is there any chance that the 4.5" hemp drivers are about to appear?  My in-laws have a knack of finding the world's ugliest sweaters and I'd just as soon not have them add to my collection this year.

I'm sorry if this is premature, but is there any word on pricing at this stage?

Chad

Louis O

Re: 4.5" hemp drivers?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jan 2007, 12:11 am »
Hi Chad,

Happy Birthday and I did get in small amount for reviews and more are on the way. The drivers fit all the speakers that have used the Fostex FE127e and will be a direct replacement. It has been very long in getting them ready and they are now. We have 2 patents on them and 3rd if you count the Tone Tubby hemp formula. I will offer them in all the Super 3s and XRSs now and for replacement in earlier speakers. I won't be selling them raw.

The drivers have the same tone and transparency of the larger 8" models as well as more in both extremes. They can handle more complex material and the cones handle more power and won't break up at higher volume. I've had XRSs out from the rear wall 4 feet with exceptional bass with music with real dynamics such as Mahler.

Thanks again,
Louis

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jan 2007, 12:39 am »

The drivers have the same tone and transparency of the larger 8" models as well as more in both extremes. They can handle more complex material and the cones handle more power and won't break up at higher volume. I've had XRSs out from the rear wall 4 feet with exceptional bass with music with real dynamics such as Mahler.

Hi Louis,
are you saying the 4.5s will actually play louder than the 8s? Also, what are you saying about the low end - greater extension, more tone and transparency than the 8s?.

How does the efficiency compare?
Russell

Louis O

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jan 2007, 12:42 am »
Hi Russell,

Sorry about that, they have the tone of the 8"s, but will play louder and have more in both extremes verses the Fostex. The SPL is about the same as the Fostex.

Thanks again,
Louis

chadh

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jan 2007, 03:04 am »

Thanks for the info Louis, and congratulations on getting these things to market.  I know you've been wrking on them for a while, and it all sounds very exciting.

If I wanted to replace the drivers in my pair of XRSs, would I need to send the speakers to you?  Or would you send out replacement drivers and instructions?  And how much would it all cost?

Thanks again,

Chad

Johnb

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jan 2007, 07:53 pm »
Hi Louis!
When can one place an order a for pair to my Super 3s?

John

ZLS

« Reply #6 on: 12 Jan 2007, 08:10 pm »
:thumb:    Do not abandon hope.  I am obtaining a pair of Super 3 Dipoles with the new Hemp Driver replacing the existing Fostex Driver.  I currently have the Omega Revolution (B200 Driver), so I am very curious as to the difference in sound and presentation. 
    Louis is doing the best he can, but true art cannot be rushed!!

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #7 on: 12 Jan 2007, 08:14 pm »
Hi Louis,

I have the Super 3 Bipoles v.1 therefore will need 4 hemp drivers for the upgrade. Do you give a quantity discount? :) :) Need a beta tester?  :wink: How do the new drivers compare to the Fostex's in the area of transparency and imaging? 

Raja
« Last Edit: 12 Jan 2007, 09:16 pm by rajacat »

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #8 on: 14 Jan 2007, 02:06 am »
Louis,

I've been gone for awhile, but still enjoy my Redwine Audio,Omega Super 3R combo.  So are the replacement 4.5" hemps available for a direct swap with the Fostex 127's?  Do you have an availability date and cost information yet?  Just checking since we talked about this several times last summer and fall.  Best to you in the new year!

- Roy

Louis O

« Reply #9 on: 16 Jan 2007, 01:10 am »
Hi all,

Many thanks for the posts about the 4.5" drivers. I will figure it all out and come up with a price. I will be making a trip to A broun and when I come back I will get everything sorted out with the 4.5" drivers. The best part is it's a 5-minute swap and all you need is a screwdriver.

Thanks again,
Louis

chadh

« Reply #10 on: 16 Jan 2007, 04:22 am »

Thanks Louis.

Chad

Johnb

« Reply #11 on: 16 Jan 2007, 11:57 pm »
Thanks Louis, we are all on our toes waiting

John

kbuzz3

« Reply #12 on: 17 Jan 2007, 02:26 am »
LC

Are the hemps "better" then the alnico's-or is it more of a flavor thing?

bbchem

« Reply #13 on: 17 Jan 2007, 04:12 pm »
I guess I have a question based on the above, Can the 4.5 inch hemps fit in the Super 3 Alnico's?
Would it be worth the substitution if so?  :lol:

Thanks, Bill   :roll:

kbuzz3

« Reply #14 on: 17 Jan 2007, 04:38 pm »
I guess I have a question based on the above, Can the 4.5 inch hemps fit in the Super 3 Alnico's?

kbuzz3

« Reply #15 on: 17 Jan 2007, 04:38 pm »

What he said ^

TheSloth

« Reply #16 on: 17 Jan 2007, 05:02 pm »
They will fit, but it may not sound very good. As I understand it, the Alnico enclosures were optimised for the high maximum excursion of the alnico driver, relative to the standard one. The new Hemp cone is designed to work in the same enclosure geometries as the FE127, which has a relatively small Xmax.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #17 on: 17 Jan 2007, 09:03 pm »
Louis mentioned to me that he already tested the 4.5" hemps in the Alnico enclosures and they work great in that box as well.

The new 4.5" hemp has twice the cone excursion as the Fostex 127E, but not quite as much as the Alnico.

I've only heard them with the Super 3V2 and XRS cabinets and they have such a better tone than the Fostex and sound less congested.  Bass is stronger too!

ZLS

« Reply #18 on: 17 Jan 2007, 11:11 pm »
:drool:   Fresh out of the box and ice cold (It's freezing in Chicago) The 4.5" Tone Tubby Hemp Driver has absolutely killer tone.  Y'all gonna love it!!

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #19 on: 17 Jan 2007, 11:20 pm »
Which model were they in? Not broken in yet??!! :o