626r f/a on ebay - buyer beware!!!

duggie

626r f/a on ebay - buyer beware!!!
« on: 8 Nov 2006, 09:48 pm »
hi all,

i queried the seller about these; he refused to answer *any* of my questions, but he said he would be happy to arrange a "buy it now" price outside of ebay.

here's the correspondence (the seller's 1st reply was to my ebay questions, which the seller didn't post.):

seller:

hello

Shipping is around $90 but i;m willing to split the cost with you. If interested in a buy it now price please mail me back and i will give you more details

thanks

me: 

i might be interested, if you answer my questions first...  ;~)

thanks...

seller:

please ask me again as i deleted your email

me:

is this auction for one speaker or a pair?

you mention upgrade of the passive radiator - this speaker has no passive radiator.

does this speaker (pair?) have the megawoofer upgrade?

does this speaker (pair?) have sr-71 insulation upgrade?

does this speaker (pair?) have auricap upgrade or trt dynacap upgrade?

do you have a pic of the back; as various speaker connection configurations are available - active/passive bi-amping, bi-wiring, tweeter controls, etc...

do you have serial number?

thanks...

me again, after no further response:

hi, still awaiting a reply...

auction link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190047420665

hoosier21

Re: 626r f/a on ebay - buyer beware!!!
« Reply #1 on: 8 Nov 2006, 09:53 pm »
I emailed him too, but I got no reply. The auction "looks" like a set up. I would not place a bid unless you are able to pick them up.

John Casler

« Reply #2 on: 8 Nov 2006, 10:00 pm »
Very strange ad, and while there is a pair of 626Rs (quite heavily loaded) flaoting around out there with Brian Kyle's wiring, the reference to PR's in a 626R does raise some Red Flags.

Buyer Beware, and ask lots of questions.

BobRex

« Reply #3 on: 8 Nov 2006, 10:01 pm »
Let's see... Waveguides became available 3 weeks ago... There probably haven't been that many shipped...  Maybe B can deduce the owner based on that.....

Kind of funny that there are no pictures of the CDWG.  If there were more time on the auction I'd drive up to investigate, Stroudsburg's not far from me.

John Casler

« Reply #4 on: 8 Nov 2006, 10:04 pm »
The pair I'm thinking about had everything including TRT's.  The CDWG was "custom" made, before the production versions.

smk5r

« Reply #5 on: 8 Nov 2006, 10:05 pm »
The fact that the seller, 'dssiak0oliovad,' has one positive rating from 'sunterorfenide' who only has one positive rating from 'dssiak0oliovad' for a private listing should raise some suspicion. This looks to be the same with the exception of price as the following Audiogon listing:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrmoni&1165640647

Very curious.

AB

« Reply #6 on: 8 Nov 2006, 10:38 pm »
The feedback bit leaves me skeptical too.
I would email the Audiogon seller and ask about the Ebay auction.
I had an Audiogon listing's pics stolen and used on a scam Ebay auction.
I was made aware of this by some keen eyed folks like ya'll here.

Tirade

« Reply #7 on: 8 Nov 2006, 10:39 pm »
Its obvious the Ebay seller has copied the listing and picture of the Audiogon seller.

The Audiogon location shows Dublin, CA where as the Ebay seller shows East Stroudsburg, PA

The ebay sellers ID was created in Oct only a few days after the member with whom he has traded a single ebay feedback with. The auction was listed as "private" so you cant see what was bought or sold HOWEVER the feedback date for both the seller and the buyer is Oct 30th 3:12PM and 3:19PM (only 7 min apart), just long enough to log off of one account and on to another and return the feedback favor.

Its obvious its a scam and both ebay ID's belong to the same guy.

Tim

duggie

« Reply #8 on: 8 Nov 2006, 11:36 pm »
i notified ebay *and* the agon sellers, as well as all the bidders.  strangely enough, within a few minutes of me posting this here, the ebay seller sent me another email asking me to resend my questions...   :o

miklorsmith

« Reply #9 on: 8 Nov 2006, 11:45 pm »
I went down the road and pulled up short with a guy selling a mountain bike.

End result, Ebay DOES NOT RECOGNIZE ANY BUY-IT-NOW SALE OUTSIDE AN EBAY AUCTION.  Ever.  This is a classic Ebay scam.

Sometimes they have outside escrow agency that lends believability.  It's all a scam.

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
« Reply #10 on: 8 Nov 2006, 11:50 pm »
This is a scam.  The pair with the Brian Kyle wiring is in possession of Bob Bergner in Dublin CA.

warnerwh

« Reply #11 on: 9 Nov 2006, 12:52 am »
Glad to see someone notified Ebay. Audiogon should be notified too. They're good about these things. That guy is obviously using someone else's photo which in itself is illegal.  I wouldn't spend any money with anybody with little feedback. On Audiogon I've made people send me something before I paid them when they had very little feedback. 

John Casler

« Reply #12 on: 9 Nov 2006, 12:58 am »
Glad to see someone notified Ebay. Audiogon should be notified too. They're good about these things. That guy is obviously using someone else's photo which in itself is illegal.  I wouldn't spend any money with anybody with little feedback. On Audiogon I've made people send me something before I paid them when they had very little feedback. 

I think the Audiogon pair are "legit".  As Brian said it is likely Bob Bergner (RBAudio = Robert Bergner Audio)

There is a number to call in the add, before making a move.

warnerwh

« Reply #13 on: 9 Nov 2006, 02:02 am »
John: The guy advertising the 626's on Audiogon has advertised them before and I believe is legit.  The guy who stole the photo from Audigon and is selling on Ebay may try to become a member of Audiogon.

This exact scenario happened to me where a guy stole my photo, description and sold an amp I had before he even paid for it or received it.  Audiogon is good about getting rid of people like that.

We don't know that this guy doesn't have an ID on Audiogon. Either way they will check.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 9 Nov 2006, 04:14 am »
Good catch.  I saw them too, seemed a bit fishy to me.

duggie

« Reply #15 on: 9 Nov 2006, 04:37 am »
fyi, it looks like ebay acted quickly, for a change, & removed the auction; i rechecked the link & it is now gone!   aa