626 Stands

sunshine

626 Stands
« on: 20 Jan 2006, 11:26 pm »
Think I am ready for a pair of 626's. Which stands fit the recommended requirements of 20-24" and also have the front 'beard'.  I would prefer to purchase a stand that is ready to use without modification. If there is more than 1 model fits that would be great as it would allow me a choice.

BobMajor

626 Stands
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jan 2006, 12:06 am »
Sound Anchors in Melbourne, Florida will make superb four post stands with a beard. However, they are very expensive (about $700) and weigh 85 lbs each.

CornellAlum

626 Stands
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jan 2006, 12:43 am »
$700 bucks for speaker stands is absurd.  I bet we could organize a group buy via a manufacturer that would make exactly what we want for a fraction of the cost.  Heck, PM me, and if there is enough interest, I will contact a variety of manufacturers and find out numbers and such.

D~

warnerwh

626 Stands
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jan 2006, 12:53 am »
Get ahold of Gongos. I think he has a very nice pair of Skylan stands for sale at a very good price. He had been using them with his 626's but went to two subs and uses the subs for stands instead.  Also I think they are much less money and high quality stands to boot.

John Casler

Re: 626 Stands
« Reply #4 on: 22 Jan 2006, 02:17 am »
Quote from: sunshine
Think I am ready for a pair of 626's. Which stands fit the recommended requirements of 20-24" and also have the front 'beard'.  I would prefer to purchase a stand that is ready to use without modification. If there is more than 1 model fits that would be great as it would allow me a choice.

In my opinion the best stands for the 626R are (in order)

1) a pair of LARGER Subs ($1400)
2) The SoundAnchors with the "beard" mod ($700ish)
3) The Skylan 4 posters with custom top plate ($350)

As you can see, the price doubles for each level, but the Dual LARGERS totally blow both the others away when the whole sonic picture is compared.

All three of these have already been mentioned in previous posts.

In the "sub" area, actually "ALL" the VMPS subs will stand in for speaker stands.

The Dedicated, and the 215 will also work at a lower price point.

On the "economy" side, if you are lucky enough to be a little handy, you can stop by a few local garage sales and see if you can find a pair of old "speakers" that are the right height.  remove the grill, and drivers, and fill with sand.

Place a solid board cover over the speaker cutouts, paint everything black, and cover with black burlap or colored fabric of your choice.  Make sure the front of the 626R is flush with the front of the stand.

Press Play.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
626 Stands
« Reply #5 on: 22 Jan 2006, 02:46 am »
Don't do it.  For that money just get the 30s.  If you are looking for a pair of monitors, you are not looking for serious bass.  For the money you are looking at for the stand, you can get a pair of RM30s.  You will get 3 panels of midrange instead of 1.  IMHO, these midrange panels are what makes VMPS special.

John Casler

626 Stands
« Reply #6 on: 22 Jan 2006, 04:09 am »
Quote from: woodsyi
Don't do it.  For that money just get the 30s.  If you are looking for a pair of monitors, you are not looking for serious bass.  For the money you are looking at for the stand, you can get a pair of RM30s.  You will get 3 panels of midrange instead of 1.  IMHO, these midrange panels are what makes VMPS special.

Excellent point and if you are looking for "serious bass", another option is the RM2, which for all intents and purposes, has a built in sub and stand in one :mrgreen:

warnerwh

626 Stands
« Reply #7 on: 22 Jan 2006, 07:44 am »
The above people are right.  If you can afford expensive stands the RM 2 or RM 30 would be the wise thing to do. The only thing I wonder is why I didn't think of it.  If you have the room for 626's you have the room for RM 30's.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
626 Stands
« Reply #8 on: 22 Jan 2006, 08:04 am »
John Casler:
On the "economy" side, if you are lucky enough to be a little handy, you can stop by a few local garage sales and see if you can find a pair of old "speakers" that are the right height. remove the grill, and drivers, and fill with sand.

Place a solid board cover over the speaker cutouts, paint everything black, and cover with black burlap or colored fabric of your choice. Make sure the front of the 626R is flush with the front of the stand.

Press Play.
    Thats a great idea John !!! :hyper: [/list:u]

Pocketchange

DIY 626 Stands
« Reply #9 on: 24 Jan 2006, 02:55 am »
I found a 1' X 2' X 12' I-Beam and had it cut to size (aprox 110 lbs. each). $140... cuts included for 4 stands.  I had to buy the whole 12' piece (left the balance of the beam @ the scrap yard).
A local sheet metal shop made 4 ends (beards) for $80 total, from brushed stainless and I havn't done anything to the finsh (ie. painted) yet.
Scrap plywood from Home Depot ...  $6 total for foam insert backing.  Sticky spray from hobby outlet and some scrap molding so everything would line up
Two foam inserts per side @ $20 per side X 4 (Google:Foam)
I let the wife pick the insert color to be a part of the project. $30 for a hand truck to move them. $2 for a night light so's not to cause damage to whatever...  stumbling around in the dark.  They don't move (at all) when bumped into by the way and look good.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
626 Stands
« Reply #10 on: 3 Feb 2006, 05:46 am »
There is a great guy in Canada who has the best deal on stands that I've found.  Sorry I lost his link but someone at one of the circles must have it.  Please post the link here after you get it.

He makes them from large, rectangular shaped, high-grade, large gauge PVC/plastic pipe normally used for commercial plumbing (possibly rectangular shape is not available in the US).  The finish quality looks high in the pics.  

Do not think this is normal plastic.  It isn't.  It's very special & heavy duty.  The magic is the Canada exchange rate & the fact that it's lighter than steel, meaning lower shipping fees.

After you load it with lead shot &/or sand there will be only the most minimal difference in total mass vs. a steel stand (the load will weigh more than the stand material whether its plastic or steel).  

He's a great guy.  He spent over half an hour on the phone with me answering a variety of questions.