KEF LS50's or Energy Veritas 2.2i

Golden_Era

KEF LS50's or Energy Veritas 2.2i
« on: 4 Dec 2018, 11:35 pm »
Hello, I wasn't sure where to post this? 

I've been running a pair of Energy Veritas 2.2i's in my bedroom setup for a few years now. I bought them second hand. I believe 2004-05 is when they debuted. While I have always enjoyed the sound from these I do know that they tend to be on the bright side. I've been thinking I'd like to try a more neutral/warm speaker and see if maybe I've been missing something. Probably not looking to go over 2k total on the budget.

I have some very limited spacing in my room setup as the picture included will show. Right speaker is literally mere inches off the wall.

Now that said I was considering the LS50's with a small sub. But really I'm open to suggestions given my very limited spacing.

Preamp is an Aric Audio Unlimited tube preamp
Amplifier is an Odyssey Audio Khartago with upgrades.

Here are the specs on those Veritas:
Efficiency 89 db
Impedance 8 ohm
Bandwidth 40-20,000 Hz +/- 3dB
Bass 6-1/2" Dual Hyperdrive Woofer
Medium 2" Aluminum Dome
Tweeter 1" Aluminum Dome

Thanks for any suggestions.  :D

« Last Edit: 5 Dec 2018, 01:16 am by Golden_Era »

OzarkTom

Re: KEF LS50's or Energy Veritas 2.2i
« Reply #1 on: 5 Dec 2018, 12:00 am »
My buddy Rex owned the LS50's, but now much happier with the Omega Monitors. The Omegas are around $1500 or less.

https://omegaloudspeakers.com/collections/monitor-speakers/products/super-3-high-output-monitor?variant=34755858700

jk@home

« Reply #2 on: 5 Dec 2018, 01:45 am »
Still enjoying my LS50s I bought 4 years ago, now driving them with W4S pre and mono amps. Some folks use them as desktop speakers, so I guess they can work in tight quarters. You may have to use the foam plugs in the ports, to get the bass right. You need to grab a pair and try them, to see if they will work for you. Don't assume they will. Another option is the wireless KEFs, with the built-in amps. Already matched up and ready to go.

JackD

« Reply #3 on: 5 Dec 2018, 02:43 am »
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 1 or 2, Nola Boxer, Evoke Ruby.

RDavidson

« Reply #4 on: 5 Dec 2018, 04:52 am »
In my experience the LS50's need a good amount of space to breathe and also a good amount of power. Without one or both of these things, I've found the LS50's to sound thin and lacking oomph. I've had similar issues with other somewhat inefficient speakers. Older Dynaudios come to mind. jk's setup appears pretty ideal for the Kefs and I bet they sound great in his room.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #5 on: 5 Dec 2018, 12:09 pm »
You won't know for sure unless you try a pair. Amazon still has the LS50s for $999 with free Prime shipping, or find a used pair and sell if they don't work. My experience with the LS50s is they are not a "warm" speaker. I found them pretty neutral when all the fine tuning was done.

jk@home

« Reply #6 on: 5 Dec 2018, 12:16 pm »
After many hours of placement and toe-in experiments, I found using the 29 percent placement method gave me the best results.

http://barrydiamentaudio.com/monitoring.htm

With  the KEFs, one has to get the on/off axis toe-in just right, or they will sound too bright. Most folks do no toe-in. So depending on where the OP's seat is, that might be an issue. No matter what speaker he gets, I recommend he add some side wall absorption.

I agree that the LS50s are neutral sounding. Also they sound best at normal to high output, not that good for low listening (although not horrible, like my old Maggies). The Omegas may do better in that department?

OzarkTom

« Reply #7 on: 5 Dec 2018, 01:11 pm »

I agree that the LS50s are neutral sounding. Also they sound best at normal to high output, not that good for low listening (although not horrible, like my old Maggies). The Omegas may do better in that department?

Yes, Omegas have no crossover in the midrange. So they will sound better at lower levels.

RDavidson

« Reply #8 on: 5 Dec 2018, 05:22 pm »
Agree. That's a nice thing about Omegas. You don't have to crank them to get balanced sound. This makes them a great choice for people with smaller listening spaces and/or for those who like more "comfortable" average listening volume. The Kefs just don't fill out and sound balanced at lower levels, in my experience.

maty

« Reply #9 on: 5 Dec 2018, 06:55 pm »
Do not buy speakers with rear bass-reflex if they are going to be placed the same as the ones you have. Closed box or front bass-reflex.

KEF LS50 needs at least 90 cm / 35" to ALL three walls. True sensitivity is only 83 dB/W/m and minimum 3.9 Ohms -> they NEED a lot of watts. And only 79 Hz at -3 dB -> they need a subwoofer.

You have Odyssey Audio Khartago, then you do not need other with more watts.

RDavidson

« Reply #10 on: 5 Dec 2018, 08:35 pm »
Maty, similar to the old LS 3/5A, the LS50 is capable of sounding full and well balanced...in the right setup. A subwoofer is not truly necessary. It really depends on listening habits and preference.

maty

« Reply #11 on: 5 Dec 2018, 09:12 pm »
It will depend on the kind of music. A good speaker system to listen to music must: 50 Hz at -3 dB.

Of course I do not talk about hip hop, electronic... and modern commercial music so horribly recorded and very low DR (dynamic range).

Béla Fleck & the Flecktones - Live Art (1996), CD, Warner, Germany

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/music/6958-playing-listening-post5620681.html

It seems I had a subwoofer in the room.

maty

« Reply #12 on: 5 Dec 2018, 09:16 pm »
Some hours ago, a GLORIOUS recording:

Heifetz & Reiner, Chicago SO - Tchaikovsky - Violin Concerto (1953), SACD, 2014 Analogue Productions, US

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/music/6958-playing-listening-post5623139.html

Yesterday other treasure I have.

John McLaughlin, Al Di Meola, Paco de Lucía - Friday Night In San Francisco (1981), Vinyl, Philips, Original Spain

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/music/6958-playing-listening-post5622063.html

And without to spend a lot of money in my second system!

maty

« Reply #13 on: 5 Dec 2018, 09:27 pm »
LS 3/5A clones, KEF LS50 playing orchestral music?

It happens as with the usual satured tube amps (with H2 about 45 dB), they are limited to some kind of music.

maty

« Reply #14 on: 5 Dec 2018, 09:44 pm »
And just now, other treasure:

George Winston - December (1982), CD, Windham Hill Records, US

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/music/6958-playing-listening-post5623401.html

Golden_Era

« Reply #15 on: 7 Dec 2018, 11:59 pm »
Thanks for the great replies. Been doing some digging and looking at Focal Aria 906's or maybe 905's with a KEF Kube8 sub.