Conditioner + UPS?

DougSmith

• What will the next hundred years bring?
Conditioner + UPS?
« on: 21 Aug 2011, 08:43 pm »
I have an APC H15 power conditioner.  I didn't realize how much variability I have in my line voltage with the Air Conditioning going on and off (15V drop when it kicks in).  I probably should have gotten something with a battery backup to allow tight voltage regulation when this occurs - but I see that the S15, for example, is quite expensive.  Do you think I could just add an inexpensive UPS in front of the H15 to take care of that?

cityjim

Re: Conditioner + UPS?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Aug 2011, 10:02 pm »
 An UPS won't solve your issue. You can buy those band-aids all day long and get no place. Best to have a proper AC line installed. Fix the problem at the root of the issue.

I'd put your large current draw items on a separate circuit. Like your HVAC and refrigerator for sure. Sounds like your stereo is ganged with the Air Con. Which would reflect your voltage drops.

You don't want anything connected to any line that has a dynamic voltage on it. Either plug in a table lamp into the circuit if you don't have a volt meter or use a volt meter to check voltage sags on larger drain item start ups. That lamp would show a temp bulb dimming effect on start up. These sagging circuit lines will kill your attached devices. Plus your looking at a possible fire.

Sagging voltage indicates some form of circuit overloading. Either excessive devices on the circuit, long runs, to small of breaker or small wire gauge feeding it. Old houses.....

I'd run a 40 amp breaker from your panel to the listening room. Use some 10-3 wire. Make sure each and every item has a built in fuse or breaker protection. Buy a 5 gang outlet box and fill with hospital grade outlets. Trim the box with some nice hardwood like Mahogany. Plug all equipment into this one dedicated line ONLY. Your problem solved. Shouldn't cost very much either.

BTW that 15 volt drop you see, it's a lot more in real time. Safe to say if you had an O-scope you'd see a ton more than 15 volts. I'd get my equipment off that circuit ASAP!

cityjim 

DougSmith

• What will the next hundred years bring?
Re: Conditioner + UPS?
« Reply #2 on: 22 Aug 2011, 11:39 pm »
The electrical panel was upgraded from 100 to 200A when the AC was installed several years ago, and all of the high current loads are on their own circuits.  The circuit with my sound system only has one other thing on it - a ceiling fan that draws only 8-15W, but there are a few high current lines coming off the same rail of the panel (water heater, dryer and oven). I could certainly run a new circuit for my system.  I suppose I should have an electrician check it out.