Best speakers under $3000 USD ??

AvsFan

Re: Best speakers under $3000 USD ??
« Reply #80 on: 7 Jul 2020, 11:26 pm »
Just curious if you compared the Zu and Tekton in the same system, same time, etc. I had Tekton Lores and Zu Omens and took them to a friends house where 3 of us listened. From what we heard that day I would be surprised if anyone would prefer the Omens, but YMMV and all that.
The Zu build quality was a bit better IMO.
I would agree with this, seemed like it took a good bit more juice to get them playing than I expected from a 97db speaker.

Nope. That's why it's not a fair comparison. I think I might have already stated that I would LOVE to hear the Tektons in this room with these electronics. Would be a completely different experience. 

I LOVE the ZU sound. What I am hearing at this moment while typing this is some of the best music I have ever heard in my own home.
With that said, what do you think would be similar to ZU's but even better?

Shear Bliss VMPS

« Reply #81 on: 7 Jul 2020, 11:27 pm »
Seems people like to DIS the Tekton brand or the DIs speaker. The larger speakers in the line were just to large/heavy for me, been there, done that years earlier with VMPS.

The Electron SE should be ideal for me. Also folks, they just don't hand out patents on audio much anymore. Ask yourself why did they allow a new patent on Eric"s 6 tweeter polygon design ??? 10 drivers per cabinet and a 4 way design, a lot of speaker for the asking price. You certainly can spend more and get far worse sound.

AvsFan

« Reply #82 on: 7 Jul 2020, 11:33 pm »
Seems people like to DIS the Tekton brand or the DIs speaker. The larger speakers in the line were just to large/heavy for me, been there, done that years earlier with VMPS.

The Electron SE should be ideal for me. Also folks, they just don't hand out patents on audio much anymore. Ask yourself why did they allow a new patent on Eric"s 6 tweeter polygon design ??? 10 drivers per cabinet and a 4 way design, a lot of speaker for the asking price. You certainly can spend more and get far worse sound.

Just to be clear. I am not in the camp of DISSING the Tekton gear. I really enjoyed it! I actually praise Tekton gear. I'm always suggesting their speakers. The build quality isn't as nice as ZU or a lot of other speakers, but it's not bad by any means. Whats the most important thing is how they sound. And they are a GREAT sounding speaker. I want to try out some offerings from Tekton in this room. I might just do that. 

sebrof

« Reply #83 on: 8 Jul 2020, 12:44 am »
Nope. That's why it's not a fair comparison. I think I might have already stated that I would LOVE to hear the Tektons in this room with these electronics. Would be a completely different experience. 

I LOVE the ZU sound. What I am hearing at this moment while typing this is some of the best music I have ever heard in my own home.
With that said, what do you think would be similar to ZU's but even better?
I really liked my Omens when I had them as well. I didn't want to overstate our preference of the Lores over the Omens, I could have lived with either. And room, system, music played, etc. all play into it.

But I kinda feel like I pulled us away from the OP's query which was not my intent.

Tom Bombadil

« Reply #84 on: 8 Jul 2020, 04:33 am »
Must issue an apology.   

It was Zu speakers, not Tekton, that Stereophile tested and found to be less efficient than spec'ed.    Averaging 92db instead of 97db. 

I got them switched in my mind.  My bad.

AvsFan

« Reply #85 on: 8 Jul 2020, 04:38 am »
Must issue an apology.   

It was Zu speakers, not Tekton, that Stereophile tested and found to be less efficient than spec'ed.    Averaging 92db instead of 97db. 

I got them switched in my mind.  My bad.

92, 97 100, ALL I know is they love clean power and current! The better and more power I have used with them, the better they have sounded and responded. Especially in the sound stage and bass department.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #86 on: 8 Jul 2020, 10:01 am »
I need to step in here.  I’ve heard a pair of Tekton DIs driven by Classic Cherry amps and they were pretty good. BUT....  the bass wasn’t as impressive as the JTRs, which go down to 25Hz and cost less than the version I was hearing.  The airiness wasn’t there, and the midrange sounded, well, not very refined.  Just so-so in some ways, but when not pushed hard, they do have some real finesse.  These had several upgrades, including a piano black finish, which was simply beautiful!

I’m looking for CLARITY!!  Realism in spades.  Like B&W’s super expensive models, but less “hard” in the highs.  Maybe this is why I tend to like speakers with soft some tweeters, like the old D28AF.  I’m getting some Dynaudios soon!  Can’t wait to hear them!!

That said....  Vons are amazing.  A pair of VR5s at a buddy’s house were just about the best sounding speakers I heard at the time.  $27k list.  So were KEF Blade-2s at the same house I heard the Tekton DIs.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #87 on: 8 Jul 2020, 10:08 am »
How about Spatial?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #88 on: 8 Jul 2020, 11:23 am »
How about Spatial?

You stated that you wanted speakers that don't have to be pulled out the front wall, so you can eliminate all dipoles, including open baffles and Maggies.  WAF is subjective, but doubt Spatial would pass the mustard. 

Haven't heard JTR but they're probably the closest you'll get for your unrealistic expectations of high spls, full range, close to front wall, budget, huge size, and of course sound quality.  But large flat black boxes again probably won't pass the WAF test, so expect to spend more to dress them up. 

RonN5

« Reply #89 on: 8 Jul 2020, 02:41 pm »
I'm going to put in a word here for Salk....

Beautifully crafted, 106db at the listening position per the calculator you referenced with 100 watts, soft dome tweeter....and transmission line rather than ported allows for much closer wall placement and very good low end...and easy to blend seamlessly with a sealed sub...and under the budget.

https://www.salksound.com/model.php?model=SongTower

Freo-1

« Reply #90 on: 8 Jul 2020, 02:48 pm »
How about a transmission line (TL) speaker?   They have excellent bass response,   and work well without having to pull them well away from the wall.

The German company T+A (Theory and Application) Criterion line would fit the bill,  assuming you can find a good pair second hand.  The set I own are 20Hz to 20KHz, low 90s db/w, and adjustable crossovers for bass and treble. 

Pretty hard to find what you are after new.  Good luck.

HT cOz

« Reply #91 on: 8 Jul 2020, 03:26 pm »
I'm not sure why these are getting more consideration?  https://www.diysoundgroup.com/home-theater-speaker-kits/home-theater-series/vortex/vortex-15-kit.html

Product Highlights:

Very detailed sound with superb dynamics.
Extremely low distortion from the woofer and compression driver.
Easy to power with a true 98db 2.83v/meter sensitivity.
Quality name brand components.
Will handle 500 watts and play over 120db.
Can be used full range for music when built into a 5cuft cabinet.
Designed to work best for home theater when paired with a subwoofer system.

A few other details on these - From a user "Vortex-15s in ~2.5 cubic foot ported cabinets that I built myself out of 3/4" Baltic birch. In this alignment, they play down to about 65Hz"

These have been in development for years http://www.hificircuit.com/community/threads/hyperlite-coaxials.5623/

Kit information with measurements http://www.hificircuit.com/community/threads/vortex-speaker-kits.5622/

I know these are a kit but it isn't hard to get good boxes made for $2,200 which is what you would have left in your budget.  You could also upgrade a few of the parts etc. 

This should get your attention...

AvsFan

« Reply #92 on: 8 Jul 2020, 04:57 pm »
How about Spatial?

Love Clayton's speakers but they need room to breathe and open up. Like our Maggie's .

Freo-1

AvsFan

« Reply #94 on: 8 Jul 2020, 05:08 pm »
I'm going to put in a word here for Salk....

Beautifully crafted, 106db at the listening position per the calculator you referenced with 100 watts, soft dome tweeter....and transmission line rather than ported allows for much closer wall placement and very good low end...and easy to blend seamlessly with a sealed sub...and under the budget.

https://www.salksound.com/model.php?model=SongTower

Frank at AVA suggested these earlier as well. My reply was if they can stand up to some punishment and higher SPL's without distortion. And I think the point of this thread was a speaker that can play loud and bass with authority without the need of a sub.

With that said, I have heard Salk speakers many times at RMAF events and I usually spend more time in their room than a lot of others, because I love the sound. They sound and look spectacular. I've wanted to own a pair for quite sometime. But I have never heard them at higher volumes and spl's, it's always been at moderate levels. I wonder how they sound cranked up some.

morganc

« Reply #95 on: 8 Jul 2020, 05:09 pm »

You stated that you wanted speakers that don't have to be pulled out the front wall, so you can eliminate all dipoles, including open baffles and Maggies.  WAF is subjective, but doubt Spatial would pass the mustard. 

Haven't heard JTR but they're probably the closest you'll get for your unrealistic expectations of high spls, full range, close to front wall, budget, huge size, and of course sound quality.  But large flat black boxes again probably won't pass the WAF test, so expect to spend more to dress them up.

Agreed.  At that price point DIY might be your best bet. 

AvsFan

« Reply #96 on: 8 Jul 2020, 05:11 pm »
How about this:

http://tyleracoustics.com/Deal%20of%20the%20week.html

WOW! Those look amazing! I have never heard of them but they look like they can pound out some nice tunes.

AvsFan

« Reply #97 on: 8 Jul 2020, 05:31 pm »

FR 26hz-20k.

These look legit!

RonN5

« Reply #98 on: 8 Jul 2020, 06:25 pm »
AVS FAN

Those speakers look more like these....

AvsFan

« Reply #99 on: 8 Jul 2020, 06:51 pm »
AVS FAN

Those speakers look more like these....

I knew there was a reason I was visually drawn to them. I love Easter Island!