Which Screen Share App. for Mac Mini Using iPhone 6+ or iPad mini?

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
I'm wondering what screen share program I should use so I can run my mac mini headless? I have been using an iPhone 4 and just using the simple iTunes app but now with bigger screens would like to use the normal iTunes interface on my iPad Mini and perhaps my iPhone 6+ rather than have a monitor connected.

Any experience with these screen sharing apps would be greatly appreciated, there are so many I don't even know where to begin.

Thanks,

Greg

JM21

I have been using 'Jump' and been pleased with it.  Was using a free app but it stop being supported so went with Jump and have had no issues. I believe it was $15.

Good luck!

Best,
JM

timind

• permanent vacation
I used the free version of team viewer. It worked ok but was on the scree on iphone4 so kind of small. My Mac mini is only music and I really only used the app to power the mac down.

cody69

this may help...
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=116462.msg1219986#msg1219986

using the search function for 'headless mac' will provide lots of other discussion & suggestions.

I went with vnc lite on my iPad and iPhone and it has worked fine.

gregfisk

• Restricted
Thanks guys,

This helps a lot, all I'm really going to be using it for is running my iTunes from in the room and it seems like these vnc programs are pretty sophisticated for my needs.

Cody69, is seems like VNC light might just be the ticket but I'll look at all the suggestions and at the link you provided.

If anyone else has experience with this feel free to throw anything else into the mix.

Thanks,

Greg

timind

• permanent vacation
If you only intend to run itunes with the remote get the Apple remote from the app store. It's free and works perfectly. http://www.apple.com/apps/remote/

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Gregfisk,

Your timing to post your question on this is MAGICAL for me. I only just last night tried (in vain) to use screen share from my Mini to my iPad. I hadn't realized till now that an additional app was required.

Since our move to Taiwan, I have suffered with not-quite-redbook for most of my music because my audio and Mac Mini are in separate rooms. With this feature, I can relocate the Mini anytime I gotta have red book or better. [I'm betting folks will scratch their heads at that statement. My CDs are all back in Oregon and there's no CD player in the system. My SBT is streaming 320kbs music, and keeps having wifi connection issues with my Mini - mostly unconnected. I can't figure out the issue behind this. I can play music from my iPhone or iPad via Bluetooth, but that sucks the power out of my somewhat underpowered amp.] This was supposed to be a worry- and hassle-free vacation/2nd home system.

Thanks!

Michael

gregfisk

• Restricted
If you only intend to run itunes with the remote get the Apple remote from the app store. It's free and works perfectly. http://www.apple.com/apps/remote/

This is what I've been using on my iPhone 4 but I really want to screen share iTunes as it looks on my computer with all of that functionality.

From what I have read here and on the thread Cody linked to It looks like VNC light is the way to go, so I will give that a go. Really appreciate all the input from everyone, it's nice to have people so helpful all in one place.

Greg