Upgraded VR-4 Tweeter Repair or Replacement

HiFiBlues

Upgraded VR-4 Tweeter Repair or Replacement
« on: 9 Feb 2022, 01:38 pm »
I've noticed that my tweeters just aren't giving up the magic as well as they used to and wanted to do something about it.
I had my speakers upgraded in 2011 at the factory to VR-5/7 which included replacement of the tweeters (front/rear).
The specs for these indicate they contain ferro-fluid which I suspect may be the culprit and due to it's age may need replacement.
I also have "New in Box" spare replacements for all 4 tweeters that I purchased when I upgraded, but have concerns that the ferro-fluid in them may not be suitable as they've been sitting on the shelf all these years. I'd appreciate any input on this subject to help me with path forward.

For the record, nothing has changed in my listening room which might have changed the sound and I clean my ears after every shower.

Tom Bombadil

Re: Upgraded VR-4 Tweeter Repair or Replacement
« Reply #1 on: 10 Apr 2022, 04:26 am »
Surprised that no one from Von Schweikert has replied.  They are usually good about replacements and repairs. 

My only comment is that I had my VR-4 upgraded circa 2002 and they continue to sound excellent.  I have noticed no degradation at all.   I know that there are issues with ferro fluid evaporating.

Here's an article on the subject:
https://speakerrepairshop.nl/en/questions/ferrofluid/c-34

HiFiBlues

Re: Upgraded VR-4 Tweeter Repair or Replacement
« Reply #2 on: 10 Apr 2022, 05:18 pm »
Yes, I'm also slightly bummed. I've called VSA a couple times now and also sent some pics of my tweeters hoping to get some help but even after several followup texts I've yet to hear anything back. The problem is what I thought would be N.I.B. tweeters I bought are actually used (still have old solder on them) and do not have any manufacturer labels on them. Therefore, I don't know who made them to try and go there for help.
I'm a little nervous to just go in and disassemble the tweeters without some guidance on best practices etc. I'll keep trying with VSA meanwhile and hope to eventually get the skinny.