Hypex running hot

jaffrie

Hypex running hot
« on: 24 Jun 2015, 11:02 am »
Hi Guys,
Sorry posted my other thread but didn't get any reply. Anyway hope that someone here can shed some light
on my resent discovery. The Ucd 400 are build as mono blocks. Off late I'd noticed that one board is running
hot. The culprit seems to be the BDX34C & BOX33A. Have added a heat sink but they are still running hot.
Strangely the other module is just warm to touch. The module behaves normal in operation. Also the transformer
which powers this module feels warmer then the other which means that it's hogging more current.
Question how do I rectify this issues or can this be rectified at all. Btw what should DC in millivolts be at the
speaker terminal ? I find it strange as mine measured -1.8 & -4 millivolts

Thanks in advance

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Hypex running hot
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jun 2015, 12:01 pm »
Did you ask Hypex?  That's what I'd do.

jaffrie

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jun 2015, 02:09 pm »
I did but the answer was it's normal but they don't understand why the other module is not running as hot.
Strange reply. Was suggested that input voltage of the hotter module could be higher but input for
both modules are 57v. Wonder if changing those transistors would help 

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 24 Jun 2015, 02:17 pm »
I did but the answer was it's normal but they don't understand why the other module is not running as hot.
Strange reply. Was suggested that input voltage of the hotter module could be higher but input for
both modules are 57v. Wonder if changing those transistors would help
How much hotter and how are you measuring the delta?

jaffrie

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jun 2015, 04:20 pm »
Hi JTW

Well it's just via finger test. My finger would get burn if I touch it for more then 5 secs. Now I have another thought.
Since both transistors are just to power the buffer, why not build a dedicated supply & just bypass & solve the
heat issue. Question, besides removing the transistors are there anything else to remove & also is the new power
supply connected at C28 & C29 ?

Many thanks