If you started over...

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
Re: If you started over...
« Reply #20 on: 31 Jan 2015, 05:25 am »
Finally (and really not trying to piss anyone here off), I'm not sure what relationship agreement Audiocircle and the Omega Audiocircle have, but I'm curious to know of any and ALL components that mix well with the Omega RS5.  If it's improper consider suggestions from other manufacturers here, so be it and I won't ask. It does seem a little dictatorial for an internet board, though.
The Omega AudioCircle is for all things Omega, and whatever will work with Omega.  Being that Omega makes speakers and subwoofers, Louis is rightfully not interested in promoting a competitors speakers or subwoofers other than his own.  Not dictatorial at all.  It's his circle, he pays for it, and he can call the shots.

There is a Circle for dealing with any brand of subwoofer: Enclosures http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=181.0

There are no doubt quite a few other brands of subwoofer out there that will work with Omega speakers.  They must be extremely fast, and musical.  I personally would refrain from buying a sub until you hear a broken-in set of Omegas by themselves first.

« Last Edit: 31 Jan 2015, 06:44 am by Canada Rob »

roscoe65

« Reply #21 on: 31 Jan 2015, 12:51 pm »
"Finally (and really not trying to piss anyone here off), I'm not sure what relationship agreement Audiocircle and the Omega Audiocircle have, but I'm curious to know of any and ALL components that mix well with the Omega RS5.  If it's improper consider suggestions from other manufacturers here, so be it and I won't ask. It does seem a little dictatorial for an internet board, though."

You're posting on a company-specific forum, sponsored by the company, which is intended to promote and discuss that company's products.  It is in very poor taste to ask for recommendations from the sponsor's competitors on the forum Omega is paying for.

There are numerous venues in which subwoofers can be discussed in general, probably more than actual subwoofers being manufactured.  Audiocircle itself has forums for non-manufacturer-specific discussion.

Wandill

« Reply #22 on: 2 Feb 2015, 01:03 am »
Hi guys - thanks again for more enlightening responses.  Roscoe and Rob, in particular, thank you for clarifying the forum's roots and its intent.  Understanding that Mr. Chochos funds and moderates the forum for both Omega and its customers (did not realize this at all), I completely understand the desire to keep it Omega-centric.  And with that, it's very encouraging to see such loyal customers in support. 

Regarding amplification, i took delivery of the Crown 1500 this afternoon.  Perhaps I jumped the gun on its purchase, but having seen several positive reviews around the web, and given its flexibility with so many other kinds of speakers (already a marked improvement for my small PSBs, even straight from the ifi dac), I figured that I'd take the chance.  Voltage issues aside (thank you, Rob for simple-fix suggestion), purchasing a zen triode will likely be my next step, as I have % further time/money/inclination to tinker. 

Regarding the Crown amp:  Obviously the sheer power potential far exceeds the speakers' requirements.  Seeing now too that each channel of the amp uses a stepped volume control, how do most folks finely adjust for volume?  As it stands, 2 notches from "0" on each channel, with my ifi at 100% provides plenty of volume.  The little iFi has a volume pot, but my readings indicate that even out of the right/left channel outputs, it's best to run that physical control at 100%, which apparently will prevent dual-amping issues.  Given the significant increase in the Omega's sensitivity over the PSBs (~90db), I'm hoping the iTube/nano combination will provide enough flexibility. Any thoughts? 

Finally, Ozoid, noted! Nano has been very enjoyable thus far and i will check out the iUSB power system.  At a certain point, though, I may just purchase a high quality DAP that can output to my amp and use its own onboard dac.  Seems to me that more and more people are heading to DAPs as they become sonically advanced enough to serve as full-plan source components...  Always more to wonder about. 

thanks, guys.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #23 on: 2 Feb 2015, 02:29 am »
The Crown's volume controls are really gain controls and should be set so that your volume control has reasonable range. I would err on the side of setting the gain controls on the Crown on the low side, and once set you generally just leave them alone. The amp will take a while to break in, it does not sound that great out of the box. Give it 100 hours to even start sounding good.

sugbob21

« Reply #24 on: 2 Feb 2015, 12:29 pm »
Hi....The  Decware CSP3 preamp gives alot of flexibility as to volume settings.   With the Cdown gain on zero i put the master volume control on the Decware to half way up,,,then start increasing gain on the Crown .    I found that at 2 oclock  i got the best performance.  At first i had the gain set lower but as iexperimented i found this my favorite setting ... Bass just opened up dramatically and highs never to shrill . I have tinnitis so that's very important to me . Also i heard cabling is very impotant along with a good power cord.

Wandill

« Reply #25 on: 8 Feb 2015, 01:53 am »
Thanks Dave and Sugbob. I'm definitely getting the 3xrs (used or new) and will begin tinkering with the amp/preamp variations as soon as I have a while to sit down and listen.  Dave, too, I went back and read your quick post about the cabinet limitations with regard to over excursion.  Really appreciate a little science behind the single driver design, and some possible remedies to its limitations.  That was great. 

I also picked up a relatively affordable Schiit Valhalla 2 OTL headphone amp/preamp to run the Crown off.  No doubt it's a budget entry, but for only ~$50 more than the iTube, I imagine i can give me a taste of a proper tube preamp.  I'll definitely be back to post impressions.  Many thanks.

vinagunner

« Reply #26 on: 11 Mar 2015, 12:39 pm »
v
« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2016, 04:06 am by vinagunner »

jorgen

« Reply #27 on: 11 Mar 2015, 05:57 pm »
Hi Vinagunner
How do you like the Ayon amp?
I read in the Decware forum that Steve was planning on buildind a SET monoblock amp with this tube, but from what I understood there are some issues with matching and tubetrsting and so forth. Not sure I remember correctly, but I do think he also wrote that the sound was awesome, the amp  wasn't very user-friendly. What are your experiences?

I run my Omega 7" without subs, I am every now and then curious what a sub or two would add, but my way of listening is mostly late night jazz and  for me, not at all necessary for a great sound.

Vinagunner, hope we some day could meet up and talk Omega

guillaume bougard

« Reply #28 on: 11 Mar 2015, 06:10 pm »
If I had to start over, I'd definitely check out the new Super 8 speakers.

I'd get the multi channel preamp from Decware and gradually add amps to build a 5.1 system

I'd keep my Thorens TD124 MKII, this one is not going anywhere!!! Neither is the Thorens 125MKII.

doggie

« Reply #29 on: 13 Mar 2015, 12:53 pm »

Considering (feel free to pick and choose, or suggest alternatives):
Speakers: 3i with SVS sb2000 sub (need stands), 3xrs (possible sub), tekton lore reference (any experiences?)
Amps: Clones audio 25i (very interested based on many, very positive reviews, other gainclone possibilities),
Decware super zen
Virtue one.3 (battery version, sub out incl.)
Dayens Ampino
Crown audio 1500 (req. preamp?)
Ideal Innovations 40se
Coincident Dynamo 34se

+1 for the SVS SB2000 sub.

I am using one with my Omega Super 6 Alnico floorstanders and they integrate perfectly in my space, giving me a great base for the music. I assume that the Omega subs would work well also.

And I vote for a tube amp. It will give you more "there".

jorgen

« Reply #30 on: 14 Mar 2015, 08:11 am »
Hi all
Actually I'm starting over, building a second system. Spoke with Louis a couple of days ago, and sort of landed on a pair of monitor size speakers with alnico drivers, if possible maybe a custom version. Room will be 4x4 meters with books all over. Haven't decided on amp yet, but my experience with Decware are 100% positive, so a couple of Decware amps are on the short list.

Actually I'm thinking that it would be cool to be able switch amp and speakers back and forth and alternate a little. For cables I will talk to Dave again. I nneed both IC x2 and a second pair of speaker cables. For those of who are in need of cables I would check his cables out.
Amps; even though I would love to hear a Tori I think a super Zen would be plenty power full for such a small room. If I go for a Tori this amp will be in my living room and move my MT upstairs.
I'm also considering a taboo, anyone care to express any experience with this amp and omega? It's a contender because also I have audeze LCD 2.2 and its voiced to match those cans.
Then there is the planned new monoblock amps, but then I will have to rob a bank, because those amps means I will have to get a preamp... And it all adds up to $$$$$
But I'm in no hurry though. I do love this part a lot, planning. reading reviews, talk to guys with different opinions.

Holygeezer

« Reply #31 on: 14 Mar 2015, 03:15 pm »
Regarding cables, IC and Speaker, I have had fantastic results using Audio Art cables by Rob Fritz.  I am using his basic models. In conjunction with my Dayens Ampino and Omega Outlaw 1.5 Way Towers I have finally obtained that magical balance between detail and musicality. His cables are very reasonably priced and have a 30 day trial period. Normally I would not take the time to even write about this, but I am really, really happy with these cables.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #32 on: 14 Mar 2015, 03:38 pm »
Regarding cables, IC and Speaker, I have had fantastic results using Audio Art cables by Rob Fritz.  I am using his basic models. In conjunction with my Dayens Ampino and Omega Outlaw 1.5 Way Towers I have finally obtained that magical balance between detail and musicality. His cables are very reasonably priced and have a 30 day trial period. Normally I would not take the time to even write about this, but I am really, really happy with these cables.

If you want a comparison I have demos.  :green:

Chrisandalex1

« Reply #33 on: 14 Mar 2015, 04:10 pm »
Hi all
Actually I'm starting over, building a second system.

For cables I will talk to Dave again. I nneed both IC x2 and a second pair of speaker cables. For those of who are in need of cables I would check his cables out.

But I'm in no hurry though. I do love this part a lot, planning. reading reviews, talk to guys with different opinions.

I am so excited right now.  Dave is flying down this week with all my new cables and power conditioner, then next week Emile from Audio by E is coming down to do the final setup of my new system.  Pretty much every day for the next week stuff is arriving at my house for the new system.  All the new power lines have been installed, all the new woodwork for all the equipment is going in right now.  All the new Cat6a lines are being installed, and I am having so much fun. 

I am already starting my second system.  I haven't broken the news to the wife yet though.  She thinks if I build a dedicated system/man cave in my guest house, she will never see me again.  Although, we looked at a sick house right on the beach a couple of days ago that she wants me to buy.  If I do it has an unbelievable man cave room in it already that I will certainly have to modify.

Have fun with your build...

Holygeezer

« Reply #34 on: 14 Mar 2015, 04:25 pm »
Dave,
Thanks for the offer. I am sure your cables are wonderful as well. But I have finally reached a place where I am quite content and just want to listen to my system with no more upgrades.  :D

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #35 on: 14 Mar 2015, 04:43 pm »
Hi Jorgen,

The Taboo needs a preamp in order for it to really perform, but if I was looking at headphones, it would be a serious consideration, the obvious mate being the Decware CSP3.
However, neither the Mini Tori or the Taboo are SETs, and the SET sound is unique, different than a SEP or PP. 

jorgen

« Reply #36 on: 14 Mar 2015, 05:42 pm »
CR
I have read a lot about the differences between SEP and SET, and I am curious to learn how a SET would sound with my Omega, and if I will appriciate the difference. Some contributers prefer SEP and some PP aswell, so it isn't easy to know what will satisfy my tastes.  I have an headphone output on my MiniTorii, so it isn't totally necessary to have second amp with that option. I'm leaning towards the superzen (maybe select version) it would be the most affordable as well. 2 watts will be sufficient. Since I have so good time to make up my mind I want to see if the new monoblocks will be done before the summer. I think it's supposed to be 15 wpc SET. if it sums up to +4k with pre, I'm not sure my wife will accept.. and i would like to get a phono buffer, and a TT and......and..
With an CSP3 I would get the headphone opportunity I think.
Have you heard a taboo with audeze?

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #37 on: 14 Mar 2015, 06:24 pm »
Omega Bipoles using the 7" Alnico drivers. It would be a large cabinet but also an expansive, holographic and room filling sound. Combine this with a distributed sub setup for a system that would probably be able to do orchestral music very well. I'd crossover to the subs @ about 60hz. I would employ a Tortuga LDR as the preamp and a nice 300B SET for the amp.
« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2015, 06:24 pm by rajacat »

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #38 on: 14 Mar 2015, 06:30 pm »
CR
I have read a lot about the differences between SEP and SET, and I am curious to learn how a SET would sound with my Omega, and if I will appriciate the difference. Some contributers prefer SEP and some PP aswell, so it isn't easy to know what will satisfy my tastes.  I have an headphone output on my MiniTorii, so it isn't totally necessary to have second amp with that option. I'm leaning towards the superzen (maybe select version) it would be the most affordable as well. 2 watts will be sufficient. Since I have so good time to make up my mind I want to see if the new monoblocks will be done before the summer. I think it's supposed to be 15 wpc SET. if it sums up to +4k with pre, I'm not sure my wife will accept.. and i would like to get a phono buffer, and a TT and......and..
With an CSP3 I would get the headphone opportunity I think.
Have you heard a taboo with audeze?
If you go with a Super Zen, get the 4 ohm output transformer option and stepped attenuator option.  I think with what you are looking at in the way of speakers, the Super Zen would be a great choice.  If you go with the Select, go with the same OPT and stepped attenuator, but add the V-Cap option.

I haven't heard the Audeze and the only Taboo I have sold came in and out without me hearing it.  One of the best headphone rigs I have heard is: iPod Touch, Cypher Labs Algorythm Solo battery powered DAC, Decware ZenHead with crossfeed activated, and German Maestro GMP 450 Pro closed headphones.  The imaging is like nothing I've heard with headphones, and tonal balance like a Zen amp with Omega speakers.  Another great sounding headphone is the AKG K550.  Neither the AKG or the German Maestro will break the bank either.

hdrider

« Reply #39 on: 14 Mar 2015, 09:47 pm »
I did start over last August after a lot of research based on my original purchase of a Decware SE84CS kit in 2006 or so. That little two watt amp totally twisted up my head. It would drive my Sequerra speaker system to a listenable level but that was all. Sold off my ARC SP11, NYAL Moscode 300 maxi (with all the George Kaye mods), NYAL Minuet in A preamp, Krell DAC and a closet full of old speakers, cables, accessories etc. Still have my main Sequerra speaker system to sell or part out. I just ordered my Omega 7XRS Mk2's a week ago. Ordered a Decware Rachael SET, Decware ZP3 phono with a Decware ZMC-1 head amp for my moving coil cart, which all came together in early last November. Even with the huge crossovers in the Sequerra's, the Rachael drives them fine but I KNOW I am missing a lot of intimacy until Louis's speakers arrive. I will replace the DAC maybe this year and decide if I need to add a Decware CSP3 preamp after the new speakers arrive. I know there are some really good electronics out there that follow the simple is better approach beside Steve's, but the ZEN approach works very well for us. My wife even comments still about how her Pandora sounds better through the Decware gear. I am enjoying my records SO much more now and have my eyes on a Dynavector 17, to replace my very well used Shinnon Red. Also letting my subscriptions lapse on TAS and Stereophile, I find them almost boring except for Art Dudley and Mikey Fremer. Both this forum and the Decware forum have been a HUGE help in opinions, experiences, and suggestions. Feeling very blessed by it all. Happy listening, Chris.