Broker (2022) - one of the best foreign films of 2022

WGH

At first glance, "Broker" does not look like a film anyone would voluntarily watch - a plot involving selling new born babies bypassing the legal adoption system. But "Broker" surpasses any expectations with warm, heartfelt performances and a complex story that will grab your attention. The ending is ambiguous, Alice and I think we have it figured out but best read the reviews later lest they reveal too much and ruin the ending.

"Broker" is directed by Hirokazu Koreeda, who also directed the excellent 2018 Japanese film "Shoplifters", another film that focuses on family. "Shoplifters" won the Palme d'Or at the 2018 Cannes Film Festival and was nominated for the Best Foreign Language Film of the Year at the 2019 Academy Awards and , plus many more awards, too numerous to mention.

Song Kang-ho won the Best Actor Award at the 2022 Cannes Film Festival for starring in "Broker." He also starred in director Bong Joon Ho's 2019 film "Parasite", which won four Academy Awards at the 92nd Academy Awards for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Original Screenplay and Best International Feature Film.

"Broker" also stars Bae Doo-na as one of the dead-pan cops pursuing the baby snatchers. Bae Doo-na was also in Bong Joon Ho's hilarious, bizarre, monster horror comedy "The Host." Bae Doo-na is currently filming Zack Snyder’s new sci-fi saga for Netflix, “Rebel Moon.”

The cinematography by Hong Kyung-pyo is breathtaking, perfectly framed, colorful with a hint of film noir. Hong Kyung-pyo was also the cinematographer for "Parasite", "The Wailing", "Snowpiercer", and the more than excellent "Mother."

The combination of an award winning director, cast, and cinematographer with an unusual plot and heartfelt performances easily puts "Broker" in the Top 10 films of 2022.

In Korean with English subtitles.
95% on RT
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/broker

Watch the trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4Xm68vycP4

The NY Times has a good review without revealing the plot
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/25/movies/broker-review-hirokazu-kore-eda.html

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Folsom

Re: Broker (2022) - one of the best foreign films of 2022
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jan 2023, 11:39 pm »
He's also in The Good, The Bad, and The Weird. Very famous in Korea.

My only issue with Korean films is 100% of them are 3 hours or longer. They're often very good but a big commitment. I'm sure I'll watch this one at some point.

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jan 2023, 12:51 am »
My only issue with Korean films is 100% of them are 3 hours or longer. They're often very good but a big commitment. I'm sure I'll watch this one at some point.

Broker is 2 hours - 9 minutes and it goes by fast.

stlrman

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jan 2023, 01:33 am »
Incredible review as always !! So refreshing to read your reviews !! I will put this on the must see list !!
Way to give a shout out to so many other fantastic movies  we we may missed .
I’ll
Have to catch the ones I have not seen .

Keep up the amazing work !!

Folsom

« Reply #4 on: 4 Jan 2023, 04:26 am »
Broker is 2 hours - 9 minutes and it goes by fast.

Must be a US cut version. I don't believe it  :lol: