HiRez Aqualung

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
HiRez Aqualung
« on: 29 Sep 2011, 11:40 pm »
Hey Tull fans,

This looks interesting.  Among other things, 24/96 LPCM stereo on the DVD and 24/96 5.1 LPCM on the BluRay

http://www.burningshed.com/store/progressive/product/99/3238/

I hope they release the DVD and BluRay separately.

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: HiRez Aqualung
« Reply #1 on: 30 Sep 2011, 12:15 am »
Yes, a classic, and always a classic mess on cd until recently.  I saw this tour and the Thick As A Brick tour (rumors about that one in 5.1 too) back in the early 70's and they still stick with me.  Passion Play, too.   :thumb:

I just wish these boxed set marketers would realize that there is a recession on.  Also, the guy that wants the audiophile 200g LP is not the same guy who wants the cd's more than likely.  Argh!!

MttBsh

« Reply #2 on: 30 Sep 2011, 12:41 am »
Yes, a classic, and always a classic mess on cd until recently.  I saw this tour and the Thick As A Brick tour (rumors about that one in 5.1 too) back in the early 70's and they still stick with me.  Passion Play, too.   :thumb:

I just wish these boxed set marketers would realize that there is a recession on.  Also, the guy that wants the audiophile 200g LP is not the same guy who wants the cd's more than likely.  Argh!!

I saw those tours as well and the TAAB concert was the best live performance I've ever seen by any band. Could it really have been almost 40 years ago? I still remember it well.

These box sets are complete overkill both in terms of content and cost, but for Tull I may succumb. Wish they would give that treatment to the Stand Up album also.

acresm22

« Reply #3 on: 30 Sep 2011, 12:50 am »
Oh ted_b and MttBsh, I envy you guys for catching those classic 70s Tull shows! I missed a chance to see Tull during the 1979 tour and am still kicking myself. Didn't see them until 10 years later during the Rock Island tour. Ian still covered a few miles that night with his prancing and racing around the stage. Saw them again in 1999 after J-Tull.com, and the prancing and racing were long gone, as was the voice (sigh)...

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #4 on: 30 Sep 2011, 12:33 pm »
Oh ted_b and MttBsh, I envy you guys for catching those classic 70s Tull shows! I missed a chance to see Tull during the 1979 tour and am still kicking myself. Didn't see them until 10 years later during the Rock Island tour. Ian still covered a few miles that night with his prancing and racing around the stage. Saw them again in 1999 after J-Tull.com, and the prancing and racing were long gone, as was the voice (sigh)...

Same exact experience here.

While we didn't see Ian and the boys at their peak, they still put on some pretty good shows in the 80's and early 90's.

George

aep714

« Reply #5 on: 5 Oct 2011, 10:39 pm »
I was working with the student security in spring of 1972 when Tull played UT Knoxville.  Managed to get backstage and listen to Mr. Anderson talking to some folks about something long forgotten.  I believe it was TAAB tour.  I remember him saying to the crowd, right after they finished the complete album, "That was a little something we learned from Grand Funk in the dressing room".  A great show.

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 6 Oct 2011, 01:53 am »
Sure does bring back memories - I saw the below concert at the Philadelphia Spectrum which held about 17,000 but only around 2,000 people showed up (basically the floor of the hockey/basketball arena contained the stage and fold out seats and only a few of the bottom rows of the arena were filled) since many had not heard of some of the bands at this point in time.  Others had just began to get known.  I still can't believe I saw all the below in one night with such a great vantage point.

"July 12, 1969: Led Zeppelin/Johnny Winter/Al Kooper/Jethro Tull/Buddy Guy’s Blues Band
Many of the acts who played the Spectrum Pop Festival had previously headlined at the Electric Factory. The Summer of 1969 was the Summer of Rock Festivals, however, and bands had started crisscrossing the country"