Which surrounds for ST?

ppabst

Which surrounds for ST?
« on: 28 Feb 2009, 12:49 pm »
I'm about to order surrounds but am confused about which to get. I've searched the old threads....

As I understand it the role of a surround is mostly for "fill" (at present)  Most posts seem to suggest the demands placed on them are less than the mains.

I also see new audio formats being introduced that place far more importance on the "sound field".

Where is it all headed?  Will the surrounds of the future need to be the equal of the mains?

And - how do I choose between the Song Surround 1 or 2?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Which surrounds for ST?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Feb 2009, 02:51 pm »
I'm about to order surrounds but am confused about which to get. I've searched the old threads....

As I understand it the role of a surround is mostly for "fill" (at present)  Most posts seem to suggest the demands placed on them are less than the mains.

I also see new audio formats being introduced that place far more importance on the "sound field".

Where is it all headed?  Will the surrounds of the future need to be the equal of the mains?

And - how do I choose between the Song Surround 1 or 2?

It depends on many factors...

How big is your room?

Do you use or plan to use the newer hi-rez formats?

At what frequency do you cross over to your sub(s)?

The newer hi-rez formats absolutely sound their best with high quality and equal speakers for the surrounds.  I bit the bullet recently and added a pair of Song Towers for the surrounds to have a full five channels of ST's for killer HT sound.

With the newer hi-rez formats, I definitely don't feel like the surround channels are just fill.  They are full range and can contain as much information as the L/R channels up front.

However, if you cross over to your sub(s) at say 60-80Hz, you really don't need speakers that go down to 30-40Hz.   aa

For me personally, I would go with Song Towers or Surround I's depending on your budget, room size, etc...I'm sure that the Surround II's are nice speakers, but they are too close in price to the Song Towers to not go with the Song Towers (unless you need to wall mount the speakers).

George

ppabst

Re: Which surrounds for ST?
« Reply #2 on: 1 Mar 2009, 12:35 pm »
I'm coming to the same conclusions.

The room is being constructed now - roughly the size of a 2 car garage.

I like the option of wall mounting the smaller speakers....will likely just get some more STs for the same reasons you mentioned.

I'm not sure of the crossover point right now. My instinct is to go somewhat higher than the THX recommendation. It should take some of the load off the primary amp section(s) to give more headroom there.  120 perhaps?  I'll have to experiment a bit when setting up the system.

I've seen numerous discussions on the primary crossovers - but very little about the critical main/sub crossover points for music. Any thoughts on that?