The one upside to hernia surgery thus far... more time with my SS8's...

DEP14

So I had to have open hernia surgery this week.  Unfortunately  :banghead: I can't take the narcotic pain killers as I get sick, and well with hernia surgery that would be a bad combo.

But, I am basically bound to my media room (the electronic chairs really help to sit up) and that means the most time I've got to spend with my SS8's in a while.  It's been fun to really get to do some serious long term listening (between binge watching TV shows, as I never watch TV other than sports as we have 4 daughters under the age of 12).

Damn I love these speakers.  I've gone since August now (once I sorted my electronics out) that I've upgraded a darn thing.  I've not even had a thought of an upgrade.  Even better, the heart of my system (the SS8's, Classe SSP800 and CA5200) were all used gear (though after Jim refinished the SS8's they were like new).

One of the fun things I mess around with is running them full-range vs. crossed over with dual subs when listening to music.  It does consistently amaze me how low these play on their own.  Sometimes when I'm really pushing hard rock stuff I like to cross them over around 50hz and artificially bump the subs, but it's tough to beat these on their own most of the time.  Just so tight and accurate.

Just an amazing speaker. 

maxboy00

Hope you get to feeling better!

What a way to get extra time in front of your SS8's then being laid up!

Cheers

Tomy2Tone

Here's to wishing you back to good health!

What type of subs are you using with the SS8's? And are you using the crossover in the SSp-800?

JonnyFive

I had my appendix out a year ago and they fixed one of my hernia's, the belly-button hernia, on their way out.

Unfortunately, it was laproscopic so I was back at work within 48 hours.  Enjoy your time listening! :)

SCompRacer

I wish you a speedy recovery!

Going on 18 and 19 years ago, I had right and left inguinal hernias repaired with mesh. Left side was without complications, right side caused all sorts of nerve issues. Doc said that's the way it goes sometimes. My inguinals weren't too bad, within two weeks of one I was racing an important Super Comp meet! Crawling into and out of the roll cage of my Altered was interesting. Wife thought I was nuts then. I'm 61 now and agree with her! lol

Love my SS8's too! I need subs to shore up the low end cause they are in a 10,000 cubic feet open main level. Some folks on another forum think I need different speakers, but they refuse to understand how bass works in large and even small spaces.

Austin08

Wish you get well soon.

In my case, the bass I get on my current set up at my new house is far superior compare to my previous set at old house. The bass of SS8s right now is almost equal to the bass of SS8s + dual 15 Rythmik of the previous set.
Old set up

New set up

New set up with 3 2x4x4" panel

Phil A

Get well.  It's not fun having any surgery.

Tomy2Tone

Wish you get well soon.

In my case, the bass I get on my current set up at my new house is far superior compare to my previous set at old house. The bass of SS8s right now is almost equal to the bass of SS8s + dual 15 Rythmik of the previous set.
Old set up

New set up

New set up with 3 2x4x4" panel

Thats impressive about the bass in your new place! I have dual Rythmik E15's but have not hooked them up yet since I've had my SS8's but I do look forward to trying to see how I can integrate them.

What amps are you using now?

DEP14

I wish you a speedy recovery!

Going on 18 and 19 years ago, I had right and left inguinal hernias repaired with mesh. Left side was without complications, right side caused all sorts of nerve issues. Doc said that's the way it goes sometimes. My inguinals weren't too bad, within two weeks of one I was racing an important Super Comp meet! Crawling into and out of the roll cage of my Altered was interesting. Wife thought I was nuts then. I'm 61 now and agree with her! lol

Love my SS8's too! I need subs to shore up the low end cause they are in a 10,000 cubic feet open main level. Some folks on another forum think I need different speakers, but they refuse to understand how bass works in large and even small spaces.

Well, my wife also thinks I'm nuts and tend to push things too much too early.  So I've promised to take it easy this time.  We have a trip to Disney with our 4 daughters April 1st, so I need to make sure I don't screw this up.  So, taking it easy but moving as they told me to.  Mine was open surgery for an inguinal hernia, but no mesh (I wanted to avoid mesh if I could given the location and that I do a lot of mountain and road biking).  My wife has had a lot of issues due to mesh from an emergency femoral hernia she had repaired a few years back. 

So, I am taking it easy.  Not sure I'd be racing anytime soon though!  I've been told since no mesh to not lift more than 10 lbs for at least 3-4 weeks. 

Pushing buttons on the remote is easy enough though!

DEP14

Here's to wishing you back to good health!

What type of subs are you using with the SS8's? And are you using the crossover in the SSp-800?

I am using the SSP-800 crossover when I run the subs.  Typically at 50hz, but actually I prefer the -24db slope as opposed to the -12db slope.

I have Dual SVS PC-12plus subs.  They are not bad.  They kind of worked well in my room to stick them in the back corners.  at some point I'd love to have Jim design me a couple 12's in a taller narrow stack to fit my room.  But... honestly for theater these do the trick and I'm pretty happy musically with them when I use them also.

Austin08

Thats impressive about the bass in your new place! I have dual Rythmik E15's but have not hooked them up yet since I've had my SS8's but I do look forward to trying to see how I can integrate them.

What amps are you using now?

Tom,

I am using BAT VK55 mono now. During the move, there are some changed to my system. I bough the Sim P-5 preamp to replace my ex preamp. The Sim's midrange is no match compare to the BAT VK32se but has more solid pronounced bass. The real impact is when I plugged my VK55 mono into Adept Respone Ar2p. I can definitely hear the much improvement not only in bass area but across the full spectrum. Everything is much like going from SD to HD especially in the lower region. I haven't missed my Rythmiks at all.

fsimms

I am using BAT VK55 mono now. During the move, there are some changed to my system. I bough the Sim P-5 preamp to replace my ex preamp. The Sim's midrange is no match compare to the BAT VK32se but has more solid pronounced bass. The real impact is when I plugged my VK55 mono into Adept Respone Ar2p. I can definitely hear the much improvement not only in bass area but across the full spectrum. Everything is much like going from SD to HD especially in the lower region. I haven't missed my Rythmiks at all.

I see you are using tube amps for your SoundScapes.  I recently put my Fisher 500C tubed receiver in the chain to my SoundScapes.  The midrange is to die for at moderate levels.  The Fisher is rich, palpable and the image is spacious.  I am now thinking that it might be worth putting in a restoration kit into it and using it permanently when I listen to music.  I have a speaker switch that I am using to run to my SS amps for TV, Movies and Banging.   I bet your VK55’s sound even better.

Bob
« Last Edit: 6 Mar 2015, 10:11 pm by fsimms »

DEP14

Wish you get well soon.

Old set up

I love the split grill on the center channel.  Wish I had thought of that. I'd actually love a grill like that and shorter grills to expose my mid/tweet on my mains also.

Too cheap to spend the money to do it but I think that's a great look.

vkohl

• Restricted
I  love Austin8's Rythmik SE's !  :thumb: ....they shake the foundation !