Is it safe to switch speaker cable with the amp on?

cookie

« on: 20 Dec 2003, 05:36 am »
I'm trying to do a A/B audition test for speaker cable and speaker.  However, i don't want to turn Stratos off and on as it takes time to fully charge it and it becomes unfair comparison.   If I turn the volume to minimum, is it safe to change speaker or speaker cable?  Thanks!

amandarae

« Reply #1 on: 20 Dec 2003, 06:56 am »
I wouldn't do that if I were you :nono: There's always a possibility that something can go wrong (i.e. short).

But then again, if you have a bag full of fuses then it will be alright!

Think about it this way: It's either you shut off the amp to replace the speaker cables and go on with your comparison or you take the top lid off the amp everytime the fuse blows, then replaced the cables, then doing your comparison (assuming that all is well at this point), but on the back of your mind you are wrestling with the "anxiety attack"  that maybe something got damaged along the way.  It is your choice! :tempted:

jcoat007

« Reply #2 on: 20 Dec 2003, 02:17 pm »
I would never do this.   :nono:

You could short your amps and while this might only be a fuse, you could also damage your speakers.  

Just my 2 cents.

Christophe35

« Reply #3 on: 20 Dec 2003, 02:46 pm »
It's better to listen a cable for a couple of days, then another cable for a next few days etc .. than switching cables everything 5 minutes.

Christophe

rosconey

« Reply #4 on: 20 Dec 2003, 03:08 pm »
zaaaaappppp-zizzzzzzzzzzle-fizzzzzzzz-shit,fuck crap,dam :scratch:
um what did i doo now :scratch:

Carlman

« Reply #5 on: 20 Dec 2003, 03:16 pm »
Quote from: Christophe35
It's better to listen a cable for a couple of days, then another cable for a next few days etc .. than switching cables everything 5 minutes.

Christophe

If you have people at your house, this method may become a little uncomfortable if you're comparing a few different cables...  :lol:

Marbles

« Reply #6 on: 20 Dec 2003, 03:20 pm »
The caps should only take a minute or so to recharge after being down for the minute or two it takes to change speaker cable.

Shut the amps down!!!!

hk29

« Reply #7 on: 20 Dec 2003, 04:40 pm »
i've blown speakers before.   :x

John Casler

« Reply #8 on: 20 Dec 2003, 05:13 pm »
While everyone is 100% correct in saying it "CAN" be dangerous, it certainly can be done.

BUT...You must adhere to a couple procedural rules.

1) always disconnect the speaker cable "from the AMP first".
2) "Then" change cables on the speaker
3) then reconnect to the amp

This is no more dangerous than the initial hook up, which should also be done this way.

cookie

« Reply #9 on: 20 Dec 2003, 05:20 pm »
Quote from: Marbles
The caps should only take a minute or so to recharge after being down for the minute or two it takes to change speaker cable.

Shut the amps down!!!!

Given that it only take a few minutes to get fully charged after the quick change over, I think I'll take Marbles' advise.   Thank all of you for your comments and suggestions.

Christophe35

« Reply #10 on: 20 Dec 2003, 06:55 pm »
Quote from: Carlman
Quote from: Christophe35

Christophe

If you have people at your house, this method may become a little uncomfortable if you're comparing a few different cables...  :lol:

Right :-) quick comparison can be more .. comfortable in that case.
But if you have enough time , it seems to me that it is much better to do the other the way.

Christophe