Wima ---> Audiocap?

pfradale

Wima ---> Audiocap?
« on: 13 Jun 2005, 04:09 am »
Coming from both tubes and SS in the past I'm curious:  would using caps such as Audiocap TFTs improve the performance of the Tempest or Mono Extremes as a similar swap from Wimas would in a tube circuit?  Tube amp sound can change noticeably with capacitor and resistor swaps but I have not heard, really, of hot-rodding SS amps.

speedcenter

• http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/audio
Wima ---> Audiocap?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jun 2005, 06:09 pm »
same thing with SS - Wimas are not in the same league with Auricaps, V-caps, etc.   Cost issues, space issues, manufacturing issues pretty much keep those fancy caps reserved to hand-built equipment. If you don't mind the loss of warranty, the hot-rodding options of SS gear are about as open as with tube gear.

Peter

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
Wima ---> Audiocap?
« Reply #2 on: 14 Jun 2005, 04:38 am »
"...the hot-rodding options of SS gear are about as open as with tube gear"...if that SS piece uses coupling caps, that is.  Otherwise you get to spend the money you would have spend on couplers on decouplers and other PS caps.  The thing I don't love about modding SS gear is that it's about impossible to replace the main-PS caps with 'propylenes.  That's fairly easy to do in tubed gear and I've done it several times.

But of course the impurity that comes from the presence of a coupler simply isn't there to 'improve' if the amp's direct coupled.

pfradale

Wima ---> Audiocap?
« Reply #3 on: 14 Jun 2005, 06:12 am »
It's not anything I was seriously considering as I'd rather keep the 20-yr warantee and knowing which caps to replace to give any appreciative effect is beyond me, but I was in the shop where my new transformer is being installed and another customer wandered by, looked in the case and commented that he felt the Wimas were decent enough at first but would not age well, and that judicious application of pp caps would "open up" the sound quite a bit.  He runs tube amps, and from the few I owned in the past I agreed that bottle amps can benefit but that I was not sure about SS amps.  I've read that in certain areas pp caps can actually introduce greater noise into the system so it sounds like an endeavor fraught with pitfalls.  Still, always looking for better sound, no matter how great my system sounds now.  I'm trying to talk the wife into room treatments such as acoustic absorbers/diffusers on the walls and a decent carpet since we have laminate flooring in the listening room at the moment but it's a tough sell.