Favorite SET output tube

shooter

Re: Favorite SET output tube
« Reply #20 on: 26 May 2012, 12:06 am »
You have to hear the Emia 50 amp, all nickel chokes and 80% nickel transformers, haven't heard anything better.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #21 on: 26 May 2012, 12:41 am »
I've done 45s, 2a3s, 300Bs and 211s. I still run 2a3s and 300Bs but my favorite SET tube is the 50. It's lovely. Lush yet detailed. Lots of body, delicate clean highs and weighing in at around 5 watts works right fine with my HiEff speakers. In the right circuit with the right parts, there is no better...to my ears. If I had to use one word to describe the 50 it would be liquid.

Good luck finding NOS ones. They're getting pretty rare.

Looks like you have another source of 50s : http://www.emissionlabs.com/datasheets/EML50.htm

Scott F.

« Reply #22 on: 26 May 2012, 01:35 am »
I unaware you are a tube amp builder, good to know it, maybe useful in a future project.
Do you already made a 6C33 SET??

No, I haven't tried one yet. Maybe one of these days.  :thumb:

JoshK

« Reply #23 on: 26 May 2012, 05:46 pm »
I've done 45s, 2a3s, 300Bs and 211s. I still run 2a3s and 300Bs but my favorite SET tube is the 50. It's lovely. Lush yet detailed. Lots of body, delicate clean highs and weighing in at around 5 watts works right fine with my HiEff speakers. In the right circuit with the right parts, there is no better...to my ears. If I had to use one word to describe the 50 it would be liquid.

Good luck finding NOS ones. They're getting pretty rare. One of these days I'll convert a spare pair of 300B monoblocks I've got to 50s...one of these days  :duh: :thumb:

Emission Labs did a remake of it recently, so you can use new production too.  Chances are its pretty good if it came from EML.

Spendy though...
http://www.emissionlabs.com/datasheets/EML50.htm

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #24 on: 26 May 2012, 07:21 pm »
For versatility I go for the 845/805 for their higher power and ability to drive more speakers. Sonically I am getting back into lower power SET and will soon be building a 300B amp (not for production).

I have had a few 45, 2A3 and 300B amps around and with the right speakers, I could live with any of these tubes. With my 98dB Usher D2 horns, they all sounded very good.

Have yet to hear a 50 or some of the others in a setting other than shows so cannot comment.

mp9

« Reply #25 on: 3 Aug 2012, 02:57 am »
45's at the moment.

Started with 300B, AudioNote entry level consumer amp. Wooly bass, lush romantic mids only it had a zingy high tension line upper mid lower treble which was even present using Western Electric 300b's.
Tried a Wavelength Audio entry level amp, cleaner and better bass but too sterile and lacking the romantic mids of the AudioNote (when it wasn't being zingy).
Both 300B amps generated too much heat into the room for me to use them year round.

I went to a class AB PP 6BQ5/EL84 amp then got a 2A3 SET amp.
The 2A3 isn't bad, surprisingly good bass all the while using the same two 89 - 92db 8Ω 2-way speakers used with the 300B and 6BQ5.

The big surprise was when i found i wasn't losing to much going down in watts to the 45 tube. Granted more gain was required and i don't listen at loud volumes ~80db - 85db.

The 45 just seems or i should say sounds right with my reasonably efficient fullrange drivers. 96db Fostex 166Es-R/Victor and the new 92db MarkAudio A12P still breaking in on the bench so to speak, verdict's out on them. Needless to say i haven't felt as though i have to have ≥98db speakers, not that i wouldn't try that when the right drivers become available to me.

ESaudio

• Industry Participant
« Reply #26 on: 3 Aug 2012, 11:38 am »
2A3 for low output wattage

Gm70 for high output wattage

Gopher

« Reply #27 on: 3 Aug 2012, 02:25 pm »
So far I've owned a couple of 2a3 amps and an 845 and preferred the 845, but in fairness it was driven by a 300b, so that muddies the water.

I just ordered a 211 integrated which I'm optimistic about, but can't comment on yet. 

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #28 on: 3 Aug 2012, 03:21 pm »
  Depends on what brand of tube and its application, just not a single answer. For NOS the United or RCA 211. For 300B WE.
  If using a crossover and sub the 300B is hard to beat. Full range the 211. To date none of the after market tubes have done it for me. After you experience a United or RCA IMO it is tough to go to anything else.
  Gopher I have some 211s for you to play with, however be prepared to go deep in your pocket. Not selling them but you can check them out if you like.

charles

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #29 on: 3 Aug 2012, 10:44 pm »
2A3 for low output wattage

Gm70 for high output wattage
Hi,
Good to see you, just found the new Trodt website, very nice.
http://www.trodtaudio.com/index.php

Gopher

« Reply #30 on: 3 Aug 2012, 10:48 pm »
  Depends on what brand of tube and its application, just not a single answer. For NOS the United or RCA 211. For 300B WE.
  If using a crossover and sub the 300B is hard to beat. Full range the 211. To date none of the after market tubes have done it for me. After you experience a United or RCA IMO it is tough to go to anything else.
  Gopher I have some 211s for you to play with, however be prepared to go deep in your pocket. Not selling them but you can check them out if you like.

charles

That would be fun, though I hope it doesn't leave me lusting NOS.   Lets set a play date when my amp comes in.  I should be placing an order early next week.

bunky

« Reply #31 on: 4 Aug 2012, 06:12 pm »
I have a 6C33-B triode Set that i like alot.i also like some of the 211 SET amps that i heard at the Capital Audiofest. some of the modded GTA SE40 parallel SETs using the 6L6GC three per side make 40wpc and sound really good.

Whitese

« Reply #32 on: 21 Aug 2012, 02:01 am »
i think I am loving the RL12 T15 the most...I had 2A3, 300B, 845, etc...

ESaudio

• Industry Participant
« Reply #33 on: 21 Aug 2012, 04:13 am »
Hi,
Good to see you, just found the new Trodt website, very nice.
http://www.trodtaudio.com/index.php

Thanks Gustavo!

we have been designing and building Gm70 SET/Parallel, 6C33C-SET/Parallel, 845 SET, 300B SET, 2A3 SET. You name it. Our representative in New York has designed our new website for almost a year already.

You can also check Bob Visentainer of Rhapsody Music & Cinema in New York  with whom we had a business link. Just click HI-FI:

http://www.rhapsodycinema.com/

« Last Edit: 21 Aug 2012, 10:09 am by ESaudio »

Gopher

« Reply #34 on: 7 Oct 2012, 01:59 am »
I've had experience with 2a3, 300B, 845 and 211 and I think my favorite so far has been the 845.  My current 211 SET is incredible and very enjoyable, but I can't help but keep questioning whether my 845 monos (Shuguang S845 mks) had a splash more emotion.

versus rider

« Reply #35 on: 4 Nov 2012, 06:08 pm »
its not just about the valve unless each is run with the same efficient speaker. 845 and 211 are good but I haven't tried them with my speakers and at 118db there would be little point. 2A3 was good for a number of years running mid compression drivers but to be fair would not do great bass with such small iron ( bottlehead ) 300B with Emission Labs 300B-XLS does most things right with mid driver from 350Hz -2Khz. Better iron on J Sound Labs 300B. My latest purchases are russian tubed 6n6C ( 6P6C )  and another amp 6p3P only tried on fostex single driver and CSS single driver speakers but so far promising.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #36 on: 4 Nov 2012, 08:34 pm »
its not just about the valve unless each is run with the same efficient speaker. 845 and 211 are good but I haven't tried them with my speakers and at 118db there would be little point. 2A3 was good for a number of years running mid compression drivers but to be fair would not do great bass with such small iron ( bottlehead ) 300B with Emission Labs 300B-XLS does most things right with mid driver from 350Hz -2Khz. Better iron on J Sound Labs 300B. My latest purchases are russian tubed 6n6C ( 6P6C )  and another amp 6p3P only tried on fostex single driver and CSS single driver speakers but so far promising.
Hi,
Do your loudspeaker are 118dB sensitive??  What is the brand/model??
Or you made it DIY??

nd4speed

« Reply #37 on: 5 Nov 2012, 08:57 pm »
I've yet to sample 45s, but between 2a3 and 300b, it's 300b (so far). To echo what was said before, the Takatsuki 300bs are phenomenal.

Mister Pig

• "when pigs fly"
    • Affordable Audio/Positive Feedback Online writer
« Reply #38 on: 17 Nov 2012, 04:29 am »
Lets see, I have owned 811's, 300B and variants, 2A3, and on extended loan a Type 45 amp. My preference is for either the 300B or 2A3 tubes/amplifiers. Both tubes have their strengths, and excel in their own way, so its hard to make a definitive winner in that comparison.

Currently I own an Electra Print 300B Custom amplifier that I have installed a pair of Sophia Carbon Princess 300B tubes. I find that I really enjoy this tube, and it seems to sound something like a hybrid between the 2A3 and 300B tubes. Very relaxed and refined sounding, yet still has a big full bottom end and dynamic swing that the 300B is noted for.

The Electra Print amplifier is a bit unusual, in that it uses a pair of op-amp's as the first gain stage. Along with SS rectification, basically there are only the output tubes in this amp. The noise floor is outstandingly low! Had the amp hooked up to a friends pair of Altec 604 speakers, and even standing next to the driver you couldn't hear any noise from the amplifier, it was dead quiet.

While I would like to own one of the higher powered SET amplifiers, as it would open up a wider selection of speakers, I am quite content with this 300B and my Sachiko Double Horns with first generation Fostex 208 Sigma drivers.

Regards
Mister Pig

JoshK

« Reply #39 on: 2 Dec 2012, 11:02 pm »
Got some 211 monoblocks coming.   Just paid the final install to ship this week.  Never owned 211s before, so I am pretty excited.

Still need to finish up my Tubelab 300bs.  Then I have a 4P1L monoblocks plans.