New Model.... (Sirius) Poseidon

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
New Model.... (Sirius) Poseidon
« on: 22 Dec 2014, 01:47 am »

One of our wood suppliers found this stash of "baked maple" and we bought all they had, enough for maybe ten pairs of speakers! My first thought was that I finally want to build a set just for myself. In thinking about what is my personal favorite model I came up with the idea of blending the Ulysses and the Argos... So this will be shaped like the Argos with two 8" woofers at the bottom and we will add an extra 5" driver to the top for a total of six drivers.
The cabinet will be about 2 inches taller than the Ulysses, very similar in volume to the Orpheus and will have great bass extension and definition.

I'm pretty excited about this new 'version' of the Argos and will post pics as it progresses.

As for the name I was thinking along the lines of a "big" Argos (dog) and of course Sirius popped up... so for now that is the name... Sirius V.2
« Last Edit: 27 Feb 2015, 01:14 am by Daedalus Audio »

fwinston

Re: New Model.... Sirius
« Reply #1 on: 22 Dec 2014, 04:07 am »
Hi Lou,

Best wishes on the new speaker model.  From your description it sounds like a great addition to the Daedalus line.

Warmest regards,
Frank

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #2 on: 22 Dec 2014, 10:32 pm »
I will be watching for pictures and a reason for a road trip to hear them :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #3 on: 23 Dec 2014, 02:50 pm »
As for the name I was thinking along the lines of a "big" Argos (dog) and of course Sirius popped up... so for now that is the name... Sirius V.2

I think you should try the dark side and name it Cerberus, the hound of Hades.  It's a three way, right?   8)

Or you can name it Fluffy if you want to go Harry Potter on us. :lol:

Scottdazzle

« Reply #4 on: 23 Dec 2014, 09:01 pm »
I vote for Aphrodite, the most beautiful Greek god.  Sirius is associated now with low-fi car radio.

aldcoll

« Reply #5 on: 23 Dec 2014, 09:13 pm »
I go for Fluffy.   I would look forward to asking my friend's to come over and hear my new Fluffy's :thumb:

hrosenba

« Reply #6 on: 26 Dec 2014, 07:40 pm »
While nothing to do with canines, perhaps the "Concorde" after the only "supersonic" airliner.
Best wishes for a healthy, successful 2015.
Harvey

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 26 Dec 2014, 08:52 pm »

Based on this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argos

"The name Argos apparently signified an agricultural plain and was applied to several districts in ancient Greece. Historically, the Argolís was the easternmost portion of the Peloponnesian peninsula, and the city of Árgos was its capital."

Therefore, perhaps ''Argolis' is appropriate as a bigger Argos.

dB Cooper

« Reply #8 on: 27 Dec 2014, 12:32 am »
I vote for Aphrodite, the most beautiful Greek god.  Sirius is associated now with low-fi car radio.
Good point. Plus if the radio service gets a burr in their saddle it could be a PITA. Maybe Newt (remember the Hercules cartoons when we were kids?)

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 28 Dec 2014, 09:26 pm »
ok, we'll ditch Sirius... :roll:

My thought is to keep it in the 'Argos' family as it is essentially a larger version of that model..

how about Argos Megas?     the great dog.
Remember in mythology Argus was the faithful dog of Odysseus

thanks for the help as always   :D

lou

ps the nickname can be "fluffy" :lol:
« Last Edit: 4 Jan 2015, 06:59 pm by Daedalus Audio »

aldcoll

« Reply #10 on: 17 Jan 2015, 03:18 am »
Any more information, drawings on the back of bar napkins of pictures taken through a filter of heavy gauze or from outside the shop through a dirty window of the  beginnings of the "Fluffy V.2.a" :green: :lol:

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 17 Jan 2015, 04:06 am »
Any more information, drawings on the back of bar napkins of pictures taken through a filter of heavy gauze or from outside the shop through a dirty window of the  beginnings of the "Fluffy V.2.a" :green: :lol:

will have some pics next week.  doing three sets to start and they look great! ( one set is the new fiddleback baked maple!)

I'm thinking that these are really a new model and maybe Aphrodite IS a good name?  any thoughts??/ :scratch:

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 2 Feb 2015, 10:32 pm »
As these are taking shape here I think the need a name with a bit more 'heft'...  Poseidon.

any thoughts?

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #13 on: 2 Feb 2015, 10:44 pm »
Poseidon is a great sounding speaker name IMO, but I suggest Googling "Poseidon speakers" before you get too set on the name.

I'll bet pictures of your new speakers would be warmly welcomed here. [Hint. Hint.]

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #14 on: 2 Feb 2015, 10:57 pm »
As a kid my favorite greek god was Poseidon. But after reading up on some others here I think Dionysus would be a cool name.

According to Wikipedia he was the god of wine, parties and festivals, madness, chaos, drunkeness and ecstasy. I think I'd like to hang out with Dionysus... :D

aldcoll

« Reply #15 on: 2 Feb 2015, 10:58 pm »
I think mresseguire is onto something there. :roll:

aldcoll

« Reply #16 on: 2 Feb 2015, 11:01 pm »
As a kid my favorite greek god was Poseidon. But after reading up on some others here I think Dionysus would be a cool name.

According to Wikipedia he was the god of wine, parties and festivals, madness, chaos, drunkeness and ecstasy. I think I'd like to hang out with Dionysus... :D

This name appears to be used also but to a lesser degree. :scratch:
http://www.rjbaudio.com/Dionysus/dionysus.html

I imagine most of the greek names have been attached to some audio item at one time or another :thumb:

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #17 on: 2 Feb 2015, 11:07 pm »
This name appears to be used also but to a lesser degree. :scratch:
http://www.rjbaudio.com/Dionysus/dionysus.html

I imagine most of the greek names have been attached to some audio item at one time or another :thumb:

Doh!  Daedalus Dionysus had such a nice ring to it too...Alright, I'll go with Fluffy then.  :thumb:

aldcoll

« Reply #18 on: 6 Feb 2015, 06:47 pm »
Isn't it about time we get to see some pictures of the sawdust piles :scratch: 

Not saying you have a messy shop :whip:

But how is Fluffy Coming along :scratch:

Gotta get a Latin translator and see what Fluffy is  :thumb:

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #19 on: 6 Feb 2015, 06:58 pm »
Fluffy sounds....well....like it is marketed for 11 yr olds.......but the Latin appears to be "CRINITUS". Now, that sounds more mature. Hmm?

Of course, that 'itus' sounds like 'itis', which isn't good. Or is it 'NEETUS"?......Next name, please!

Keep 'em coming, boys.