HELP - using 230v NAD amplifier in US

malingers

HELP - using 230v NAD amplifier in US
« on: 11 Apr 2019, 06:58 pm »
Hello - I have a challenge I'm hoping someone can help me with. I have a NAD C370 amplifier I purchased in the UK 15 years ago, that is rated at 230v. I'd like to use it in California. I have a step up/down converter but it adds a bit of hum to the signal, and it gets pretty hot. Apparently having an audio tech convert the power supply in the unit itself will cost a few hundred dollars. So I'm wondering if I would be better off just installing a dedicated 240v line in my house to power the unit. Does anyone know if there are drawbacks to this - or if it will even work? Thanks in advance for any insight anyone has.

Samoyed

Re: HELP - using 230v NAD amplifier in US
« Reply #1 on: 11 Apr 2019, 09:14 pm »
Is it 60 Hertz?

charmerci

« Reply #2 on: 11 Apr 2019, 09:42 pm »

Branson4020

« Reply #3 on: 11 Apr 2019, 10:29 pm »
Its 50Hz, 240V - not compatible with US power. It's also not worth screwing around with changing the power supply.  I'd sell it and get something new.

SET Man

« Reply #4 on: 11 Apr 2019, 10:37 pm »
Hello - I have a challenge I'm hoping someone can help me with. I have a NAD C370 amplifier I purchased in the UK 15 years ago, that is rated at 230v. I'd like to use it in California. I have a step up/down converter but it adds a bit of hum to the signal, and it gets pretty hot. Apparently having an audio tech convert the power supply in the unit itself will cost a few hundred dollars. So I'm wondering if I would be better off just installing a dedicated 240v line in my house to power the unit. Does anyone know if there are drawbacks to this - or if it will even work? Thanks in advance for any insight anyone has.

Hey!

Installing 240V line would be ideal, but would the cost for just one component be worth it?

Anyway, NAD sell the same model all over the world. I think there's a good chance that it can be convert to 120V by just rewiring the power transformer. So, I would look into this and see if the unit's power transformer is actually multi voltage first. To me this will be the best.

Well, there's another option. Get a step up transformer 120V to 220/240V. You will need to look for one that have output at least twice of what your unit consume. There are many out there, but I've never used one so I have no idea how will this effect the sound of your unit.

Is it 60 Hertz?

That doesn't matter in this case. Actually it should work better at 60Hz. Of course this would be a problem if we are talking about something with synchronous AC motor like turntable.

Buddy   

Doublej

« Reply #5 on: 12 Apr 2019, 11:52 am »
SET Man,

I am curious as to which transformer in the picture below is the power transformer, the giant toroidal or the small gold one below the power receptacle.

https://www.norwegiancreations.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/P1050899_edit.png
« Last Edit: 12 Apr 2019, 02:41 pm by Doublej »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 12 Apr 2019, 03:49 pm »
Usually in UK these kind of amps use a dual winding power transformer, two 115V winding, they are ready to use 50 or 60Hz, I had reconnected the power transformer leads from 230V to use a single windy of 115V in a Rotel amp, chances are your amp are the same.

malingers

« Reply #7 on: 12 Apr 2019, 04:04 pm »
Is it 60 Hertz?
No it's 50Hz - I wasn't aware this mattered unless it's a turntable or something with a motor.

malingers

« Reply #8 on: 12 Apr 2019, 04:26 pm »
Hey!

Installing 240V line would be ideal, but would the cost for just one component be worth it?

Anyway, NAD sell the same model all over the world. I think there's a good chance that it can be convert to 120V by just rewiring the power transformer. So, I would look into this and see if the unit's power transformer is actually multi voltage first. To me this will be the best.

Well, there's another option. Get a step up transformer 120V to 220/240V. You will need to look for one that have output at least twice of what your unit consume. There are many out there, but I've never used one so I have no idea how will this effect the sound of your unit.

That doesn't matter in this case. Actually it should work better at 60Hz. Of course this would be a problem if we are talking about something with synchronous AC motor like turntable.

Buddy
I have a friend who is an electrician who can help install the 240v line - all in it will cost me about $80 for parts. I'm mostly worried about some sort of incompatibility with the American current, wiring, the way it's grounded (you can tell I'm not an electrician!) and it doing damage to the unit somehow.

The step up transformer I have adds a detectable hum to the signal, and generates a fair amount of heat, too, so I'd like to avoid going that route. I'm sure there are better models out there than the one I have, but It seems like a workaround rather than a clean solution, in any case. If a 240v line will work that seems like the best solution.

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #9 on: 12 Apr 2019, 05:42 pm »
The service manual is on the web from several sources, you might need to join/sign up.  I didn't check all the sources the "G" came up with but I am familiar with this one. https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/nad/c370.shtml

And it is above my pay grade to understand or read a manual, so sayeth my better half :duh:

Alan

SET Man

« Reply #10 on: 14 Apr 2019, 02:49 am »
SET Man,

I am curious as to which transformer in the picture below is the power transformer, the giant toroidal or the small gold one below the power receptacle.

https://www.norwegiancreations.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/P1050899_edit.png

Hey!

Hmmm, you bought up a good point here. Yes, the giant doughnut is the power transformer and look like the smaller golden one likely also a transformer, a low voltage one likely for standby mode for remote control function and main power switch relay if the unit have remote control. If that's the case that will need to be rewired too.

Buddy

GaryPC

« Reply #11 on: 15 Jun 2021, 06:05 am »
Okay so this is a late addition to make to this post but I still think it’s relevant to add that 99%+ of US homes that have 120V also have 240V. It is a simple matter to add a 10-15 or 20 amp 2-pole breaker to the houses electric panel plus a 240V outlet in the house. So provided the unit has no issue with 60hz v. 50hz … it will be fine.
I’ve moved 120V and 240V equipment between different countries and never had a problem, but to play safe and not knowing how the unit will sound with a different mains frequency I think it is best to check with the manufacturer. I’ve done this with CAL Audio Labs CD transport and DAC, a Plinius power amp, a Nakamichi pre amp, that I recall, and I had no issues.  Personally I would not be concerned about the frequency difference as I expect that if you don’t hear any issues there aren’t any, but I wouldn’t ask anyone else to assume this.
This is my second post, I understand I will be able to search this forum soon   :)
FYI I do have 40 years experience in electrical engineering distribution for 120V and 240V systems but I am not an equipment manufacturer so to be sure do check in with them.