HT and R 3A

paris94

HT and R 3A
« on: 18 Mar 2004, 09:03 pm »
I am currently demoing the new Dulcets and love the sound but I have questions their compatability in multi-channel applications.  Before you jump to any conclusion, let me layout the challenge.

We do not have room to put a dedicated Dulcet/de Capo-i on a stand in front of the TV monitor.  The room is roughly 12x18 with average ceiling height.  The amp in use is the Outlaw 1050 (I don't know if we'll upgrade, yet).

Has anybody had luck matching a center speaker to either the Dulcet or de Capo-i?

Tash Goka's opinion is that neither of these speakers really need a dedicated center since all of the information is accurately displayed accross the soundfield.  I don't doubt Tash but I'd like to hear if others have tackled this challenge.

Thanks!

kwl

HT and R 3A
« Reply #1 on: 18 Mar 2004, 09:35 pm »
I had a custom center channel made by Reference 3A.  The tweeter is centered above the woofer, not offset as it is on the R and L de Capo-i's.  I'm not sure it is the best center channel ever, but it matches visually and sonically.  :D

Heli-Dog

HT and R 3A
« Reply #2 on: 18 Mar 2004, 11:31 pm »
I just sold my centre channel speaker (Mirage Omni CC)in order to help buy a pair DCi's. I've now got the HT (Denon 4802) centre channel configured as "none" and not only don't miss it but TV & movie soundtracks have never sounded sooooo good!  ;-O

Next, I would like to add an integrated amp to the HT pre outs in order to be able to bypass the
HT when just listening to 2 channel music. Has anybody else gone this route and if so, which integrated amp are you using? Thanks.

Regards
Jim

CharlesL

HT and R 3A
« Reply #3 on: 22 Mar 2004, 12:41 am »
Quote from: kwl
I had a custom center channel made by Reference 3A.  The tweeter is centered above the woofer, not offset as it is on the R and L de Capo-i's.  I'm not sure it is the best center channel ever, but it matches visually and sonically.  :D

Interesting, could you tell me how much you had to pay for it? Also, do you know if it's magnetically shielded? Have you placed it on a stand?

kwl

HT and R 3A
« Reply #4 on: 22 Mar 2004, 06:14 pm »
I paid 1/2 the pair price.  I'm not sure if it's shielded, but it's on top of my Pioneer Elite 510 rptv with the back edge elevated (speaker tipped forward).  Apparently, shielding is not a huge issue with rptv's (compared to tubes).  In any case, I see no picture distortion and the piano black finish of the DCi's is a great match to the Elite.

CharlesL

HT and R 3A
« Reply #5 on: 22 Mar 2004, 08:55 pm »
Quote from: kwl
I paid 1/2 the pair price.  I'm not sure if it's shielded, but it's on top of my Pioneer Elite 510 rptv with the back edge elevated (speaker tipped forward).  Apparently, shielding is not a huge issue with rptv's (compared to tubes).  In any case, I see no picture distortion and the piano black finish of the DCi's is a great match to the Elite.

Okay thx, that seems like a very good price indeed. And yeah I still have a regular directview TV so it may cause problems when the De Capo is not shielded. :(  

Btw, when you have the dust cap attached to the speaker where is the Reference 3A sign then, in the middle or in one of the corners?

kwl

HT and R 3A
« Reply #6 on: 24 Mar 2004, 01:01 am »
I got all 3 speakers (L, R, C) without the logo stickers attached.

cyounkman

HT and R 3A
« Reply #7 on: 1 Apr 2004, 11:50 pm »
kwl,

I had heard stories about the de capo center channel, but I thought they were apocryphal... Do you have a photo of your setup? I'd love to see the r3a cyclops...

kwl

HT and R 3A
« Reply #8 on: 14 Apr 2004, 04:10 pm »
I'll try to remember to take a digital picture this weekend.