Dulcet dilemma

ad9000

Dulcet dilemma
« on: 2 Jun 2007, 04:11 pm »
I have Dulcets in a fairly large room (14' w 20' l x 14-22' h) and their preceived lack of bass is beginning to bother me, though I realize I am probably trying to get something out of them that they are not physically capable of in a room of this size. (I started an thread earlier when I first acquired them - "New Dulcet owner")  I have experimented quite a bit with placement, stands, etc. I tried a sub (REL Storm lll) and found that it did not seem to mate well with the Dulcets. I thought about going with DaCapos, but after reading some of the comments in the DaCapo vs. Dulcet thread, I think maybe that is not the solution. I like so many things about the Dulcets that I would like to continue to try to get them to work as well as they can. My worst case scenario is to use them in another room and find some other speakers that work better in the large room. Any thoughts are welcome.

ridecycling

Re: Dulcet dilemma
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jun 2007, 04:42 pm »
Have you ever heard the DeVore Super 8's?  I would recommend them highly.  You will likely get the nice sweet mids of your Dulcet's yet I am sure you will get much lower sound with the DeVore - I would put them up there as one of the finest 2 way floorstanders I have ever listened too.

The other area is dependent on your power source, which has a lot of effect on your sound, especially the low end.  I recently auditioned the Unico Hybrid with a pair of Triangle Comete's and those speakers were like night and day in the bass department compared with straight tube amplification.  The Unico/ Triangle combo were like made for each other.  Those speakers had bass like they did not deserve too for their size.

From what I gather the Dulcet's are pretty small, so you might be expecting too much from them, not that they do not sound marvelous - you may want to check into different power sources since you did not mention what type of amp you are using with them - it makes a big difference, BIG!  The Unico Hybrid amps could be a very nice match with the Dulcet - tube preamp stage and SS amp, they produce a wonderful sound balanced sound - one of the best integrated amps I have ever heard and with Italian good looks as well.

I am not a big subwoofer fan, but the little REL Q sub might be a good match with you Dulcet's or even the small ERA sub.  Lots of options.

ad9000

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jun 2007, 07:08 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions. I suspected that the Dulcets would mate well with tube power and/or a tube preamp. I currently have a Portal Audio Panache SS amp, which is very nice and detailed but not especially huge in the bass.

mcrespo71

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jun 2007, 08:43 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions. I suspected that the Dulcets would mate well with tube power and/or a tube preamp. I currently have a Portal Audio Panache SS amp, which is very nice and detailed but not especially huge in the bass.

I'm surprised you couldn't get the REL to mate with the Dulcets.  When I had the MMDCI's, I used a REL Strata III to wonderful effect.  I could not here where the sub came in at all.  How are you hooked up to the REL from your amp?  Through the speaker outputs?

ad9000

« Reply #4 on: 3 Jun 2007, 09:05 pm »

I'm surprised you couldn't get the REL to mate with the Dulcets.  When I had the MMDCI's, I used a REL Strata III to wonderful effect.  I could not here where the sub came in at all.  How are you hooked up to the REL from your amp?  Through the speaker outputs?
I mispoke a bit - It was really more of a problem with the REL sub in relation to the room, not so much in relation to the Dulcets. I used the REL successfully where I used to live with my previous main speakers (Von Schweikert VR-1's), but where I am now I have limited placement options and the room has a bit too much bass overhang even without a sub. And, yes, I was using the REL through the speaker outs.

panderso

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jun 2007, 03:10 pm »
Have you had a chance to audition Veenas in your room?  They had more bass than I needed in a smaller room, but to me had the virtues of the Dulcets with more grunt, and the benefit of the carbon fibre driver as well that added some fulness to voices...

Cheers,
              -paul-

Steve NJ

« Reply #6 on: 2 Aug 2007, 07:49 pm »
A
« Last Edit: 2 Aug 2007, 08:59 pm by Steve NJ »

Steve NJ

« Reply #7 on: 2 Aug 2007, 09:01 pm »
I have Dulcets in a fairly large room (14' w 20' l x 14-22' h) and their preceived lack of bass is beginning to bother me, though I realize I am probably trying to get something out of them that they are not physically capable of in a room of this size. (I started an thread earlier when I first acquired them - "New Dulcet owner")  I have experimented quite a bit with placement, stands, etc. I tried a sub (REL Storm lll) and found that it did not seem to mate well with the Dulcets. I thought about going with DaCapos, but after reading some of the comments in the DaCapo vs. Dulcet thread, I think maybe that is not the solution. I like so many things about the Dulcets that I would like to continue to try to get them to work as well as they can. My worst case scenario is to use them in another room and find some other speakers that work better in the large room. Any thoughts are welcome.
[/quote]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi ad9000,

I can relate to your problem, sort of.  I don't have the Dulcets; I wish I did!  Whatever. I do have a large room though, 30x12, where I have my stereo set up; and what I did with my monitors on their stands,  is that I use them as near field monitors.  I did a lot of experimenting with positioning the speakers before I settled on my final positioning of the speakers.  I now set them up about 7 feet apart, 4 feet away from my listening position, and I've place my subwoofer between the speakers.

What I found was that I got tighter, more full bass response, much cleaner sound with a solid leading edge, deeper sound stage; better 3 dimensional sound stage and imaging.  If you decide to try this, please keep me posted.

Thanks, ad9000.

Steve W.
NJ