Tag AV32R compared to Bryston SP3

gingellr

Tag AV32R compared to Bryston SP3
« on: 10 Feb 2009, 05:43 pm »
Hi,

I currently have a Tag AV32r processor, Bryston 6B-SST, PMC OB1's, CB6 and DB1's being fed from a HTPC with an RME soundcard. I am really happy with the sound quality which was greatly improved when i added the Bryston amp.

I am planning to replace the AV32 with the Bryston SP3 processor when it is released.

Does anyone have experience of moving from a Tag processor to a Bryston one and if the sound is similar but better sound or a different sound altogether?

Do you think it would be worth while listening to an SP2 and if i liked that therfore i can assume I will like the SP3.
If so do you know if Bryston/PMC UK  have any processors for a home dem?

Thanks

Richard

mv038856

Re: Tag AV32R compared to Bryston SP3
« Reply #1 on: 10 Feb 2009, 10:45 pm »
Hi Richard,

Do you think it would be worth while listening to an SP2 and if i liked that therfore i can assume I will like the SP3.

hard to tell, since the SP-3 doesn't exist yet. From the fact that Bryston is still working on the analog section, my  guess is that the quality might not yet be there where it is supposed to be.

It is said that the SP-1, SP-1.7 and SP-2 feature an analog 2 channel preamp that basically is a BP-25. Looking at a the top of the line Bryston analog preamps, however, also shows where the (evolutionary) differences might come from: improved component quality, optimized signal routing and above all, power supply design. We have seen the BP-25 with the basic BP-PSR power supply, have it upgraded with the MPS-1 power supply (at that date, a few components got exchanged, so the German distributer christioned it the BPS-25) and finally, the BP-26 with the massive MPS-2 power supply.

While all these preamps share a lot of technology, they still are different.

And the SP-3 will neccesarily have a different layout to accomodate the 7.1 channels in its analog section. Analog signal routing might also have to take contact points of the digital board(s) into account. The (internal) power supply for the analog section of a SP-3 will also be different or at least share some space with the power supply for the digital section. So the SP-3 will be different and it is up to Bryston's engineering and James's auditioning qualities to make sure, the SP-3 meets the high quality standards.

Me, myself and I are looking forward to hear the 'real' machine once it is ready. ;)

Cheers!

Markus

Fernar

Re: Tag AV32R compared to Bryston SP3
« Reply #2 on: 11 Feb 2009, 08:56 am »
When Tag was an ongoing concern, I know that there was a various 'Blind tests' dont between Tag and Bryston - to be fair the tests were for the power amps and not the processors - however the general conclusion was that (from the amp side anyway) in the blind tests one could not tell the difference between Tag and Bryston.... hence why I down the upgrade route using Bryston amps...

However this is not to say that the AV32R will sound the same as a SP3 (or SP3 when it comes out) - but I think there will be a lot of similarities between Tag and Bryston - if the apms are anything to go by...

But.... at the end of the day there is only one way to be sure - a side by side test....

At some point in time I guess I will have to replace the AV32R I am using - based on the quality of both the equipment and sound I have seen with Bryston, the top contender for the upgrade will be a SP3.... I am saving up my pennies for when the SP3 is finally available...