CLARINET All Sold Out

hagtech

CLARINET All Sold Out
« on: 9 Mar 2011, 05:24 am »
Indeed, I ran out of boards for this project.  I'm not going to buy another large batch, as it would take a few years to get my money back.  I'll look into low quantity options.  Might cost a bit more.

My only new product in some time is the FRYCORDER.  It is a brilliantly effective piece of gear. 

Meanwhile, I've had the BUGLE2 and CORNET3 on the drawing board for years, not sure when I'll ever get them done.  Working two jobs has really slowed me down.  It takes all of my free time to get existing orders built and shipped out.  That said, however, I will let you in on a secret.  I have prototypes of both a new style  CORNET and TRUMPET almost complete - assembled only.  Ok, that doesn't excite the DIY crowd.  The CORNET will use most of the CORNET3 schematic I developed using chokes in the power supply.  The new TRUMPET is split into two chassis.  They are both very retro in styling.

I'm also working on a guitar amp using 807s.  Last year I designed a guitar amp kit using an EL84, but not sure what to do with it.  I think it is way too expensive for even the boutique buyers. 

jh

bobcole

Re: CLARINET All Sold Out
« Reply #1 on: 9 Mar 2011, 07:18 pm »
Major bummer Jim!

I was planning to order both a Clarinet and Ripper this year to augment my Bugle Pro. Now they are both gone.

Looking forward to future alternatives.

Bob

schubert

• I'm the one on the right
« Reply #2 on: 10 Mar 2011, 12:13 am »
I don't know how big a minimum order is, but maybe a partial subscription/ group buy arrangement might work.  Though, if your last batch lasted six years it might not be feasible.

Blooze

« Reply #3 on: 13 Mar 2011, 08:32 pm »
Major bummer Jim!
Bob

+1.

Have been stockpiling parts as they come on sale to build the Clarinet.  Guess I should have ordered the board first.  Been waiting for summer to order the board.

Time to figure out where else I can use the parts.  :(

hagtech

« Reply #4 on: 15 Mar 2011, 04:20 am »
I can order low quantities of boards at a reasonable price, but they come without soldermask and silkscreen.  I bought two of them to see how they come out.  I'll sell these custom order for $149 each (no profit in it for me).

jh

bobcole

« Reply #5 on: 15 Mar 2011, 05:15 pm »
A gracious offer Jim, and I might take you up on it once I understand the implications of no solder mask. I don't see other comparably-priced alternatives on the market.

You really should factor in some profit, not only in your interest, but the interest of everyone here that wants to see continued product availability.

poty

« Reply #6 on: 15 Mar 2011, 07:41 pm »
Although maybe not the same quality, but the same schematic - there are a lot of PCBs available from several sources. The same SRPP is used in many modern point-to-point full kits linestages. So the choice is here really.

bregez

« Reply #7 on: 17 Mar 2011, 02:29 am »
I finished the Clarinet a few weeks ago and find myself listening to music more.  I feel lucky to have got one while they were still around.  It is very detailed and has a huge sound stage even with cheap new production JJ 12AU7's.  It complements my ST-70 well.  Thanks for the great design Jim. 

hagtech

« Reply #8 on: 18 Mar 2011, 05:11 am »
The one-off boards look like this:

jh

jusbe

• vivo media
« Reply #9 on: 23 Mar 2011, 10:29 pm »
Meanwhile, I've had the BUGLE2 and CORNET3 on the drawing board for years, not sure when I'll ever get them done.  Working two jobs has really slowed me down.  It takes all of my free time to get existing orders built and shipped out.  That said, however, I will let you in on a secret.  I have prototypes of both a new style  CORNET and TRUMPET almost complete - assembled only.  Ok, that doesn't excite the DIY crowd.  The CORNET will use most of the CORNET3 schematic I developed using chokes in the power supply.  The new TRUMPET is split into two chassis.  They are both very retro in styling.

If your BUGLE 2 is even a bit better than its predecessor, you can count me in for three right off the bat. And despite my respite from tubes, I'd make an exception for a CORNET 3.

schubert

« Reply #10 on: 30 Mar 2011, 04:01 pm »
The one-off boards look like this:

jh
I could definitely deal with this - thanks for looking into this, Jim.

hagtech

« Reply #11 on: 4 Apr 2011, 05:23 am »
I have two in stock right now.

jh

srb

« Reply #12 on: 4 Apr 2011, 06:13 am »
A gracious offer Jim, and I might take you up on it once I understand the implications of no solder mask.

A solder mask performs two functions, to protect bare copper traces from oxidizing and to prevent solder bridging between traces in automated wave soldering runs.

The traces look like they are plated for protection and you will of course be hand soldering the components, so I don't see any difference other than the lack of silkscreen legends, and you just need make sure that the right parts go into the right holes!

Steve

bobcole

« Reply #13 on: 4 Apr 2011, 02:45 pm »
Thanks Steve, that confirms what I suspected.

Bob

schubert

« Reply #14 on: 23 Apr 2011, 01:46 am »
I bought one of one-off trial boards - here's what it looks like now.

However I think there's a small problem with the board - one of the input ground connections isn't connected to the ground plane (red arrow in pic below).  Am I correct in assuming it should be?  If so whoever bought the other board should be aware of it.

hagtech

« Reply #15 on: 26 Apr 2011, 06:27 am »
Aw crud!  You're right.  That hole should be connected to ground plane.  My old files are in D format (not X) so the board house isn't too happy.  I'll try and track down the error.

Yes, connect that hole (and the two small ones on either side) to ground.  A quarter inch length wire should suffice.  Looking at the top side, all of the fat traces are grounded at the one end.  They act as shields to minimize stray signal coupling between channels. 

jh

regap25

« Reply #16 on: 22 Aug 2011, 03:20 pm »
Is it fair to say that the clarinet is done? Ofcourse, im late to the party and need a linestage to match my cornet 2.  Anyone have any suggestions on a match? Cheers!

Bernie

« Reply #17 on: 23 Aug 2011, 04:08 pm »
You can consider the Bottlehead Foreplay3 linestage kit.

Bernie.