Chassis Punches

taskerc

Re: Chassis Punches
« Reply #20 on: 5 Jan 2010, 12:36 am »
so would punches be the best way to go?Do you need any special tools to use the punches?Thanks,
David

In my opinion, yes, punches are the way to go and all you need is a wrench and maybe some light oil (3 in 1 for example)

david62

« Reply #21 on: 5 Jan 2010, 02:31 am »
Thanks for the link to the supplier.I will add those to my list...

Bill Epstein

« Reply #22 on: 5 Jan 2010, 03:26 am »
There was a recent thread on Tube DIY Asylum begun by Brian Cherry on Hougen Cutters, an interesting alternative to punches.

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/tubediy/messages/17/178087.html

I've done almost all my hole-cutting with step bits in a drill press with great results, always sarting with a 1/8" twist drill starter hole. For holes bigger than 1 3/8 I go to Rigid brand hole saws from Home Depot, which likewise did well in 1/8" aluminum. They require lubrication. The step bits don't.

One thing I found about teh step bits is that Hammond steel boxes deform under the pressure it taskes to push the step drill throug. Wood blocks cut to size inside the box surrounding the work are mandatory.

david62

« Reply #23 on: 5 Jan 2010, 11:58 am »
Has anyboby tried a circle cutter that has a center twist drill and a adjustable carbide cutter that sweeps out the circle?
David

jameshuls

« Reply #24 on: 5 Jan 2010, 05:09 pm »
Hi David,

I used such a device on my C2 build:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=32275&cat=1,180,42316

It worked very well in my Copper top plate to cut the rectifier hole, which was bigger than the max 1 1/4" of my step bit. The smallest it can do is 1". I used a hand drill, not a drill press and it worked fine. Just make sure you clamp the piece you are woring on well, or you'll have a helicopter on your hands!

david62

« Reply #25 on: 6 Jan 2010, 12:38 am »
That may be a good option since one adjustable tool will serve many functions.
David

david62

« Reply #26 on: 22 Jan 2010, 01:12 pm »
I used a step drill with a bench drill press which worked pretty well.