Clarinet Break Through

Brinkman

Re: Clarinet Break Through
« Reply #20 on: 10 Jan 2010, 04:05 am »
Hey Tubes, here's a reply I started two nights ago but never posted:

A really handy book is the Audio Designer's Tube Register Vol.1. It's got plenty of characteristic tables for common 9-pin tubes, including when said tubes are used with a constant current sources. This book is the source for the data I'm referring to. One drawback of the 12BH7 vs 12AU7 is it's higher inter-electrode capacitance (grid-plate and grid-cathode). However, in a low-gain circuit such as a line stage this difference in C would not be too noticeable.

So basically, the rule of thumb is that a 12BH7 can be substituted for a 12AU7 but not the other way around, as the 12BH7 has a couple higher design-centered maximums that may be too much for an AU7, including the heater requirements (how a 12BH7 can operate on half it's required heater current and still sound good is a mystery to me). Otherwise, they are very similar.

The filament windings of the spec'd Clarinet transformer are rated at 2A and there's only four heaters in parallel; that's accounting for only 600mA of the 2000mA rating. So your question is "is it safe?" Yeah, from my experience it's safe. But will it sound as good or better? Maybe. Should the heater be optimized first? Probably. Can it be optimised? I dunno.

hagtech

« Reply #21 on: 10 Jan 2010, 08:16 am »
transformer are rated at 2A and there's only four heaters in parallel

That's an AC, not DC rating.  In real life, you only get about 60% of that rating into DC current with this type of rectification.  Or about 1.2 amps.  Of course, if you use less power out of the other windings, you can cheat a little, as the total magnetic flux doesn't overload the core. 

A nice rule-of-thumb is to use a tranny rated at AC current for twice what you need at DC.  Any less and it might not work, too many losses in core and ESR and diodes.  Adding capacitance won't help.

jh

Brinkman

« Reply #22 on: 11 Jan 2010, 01:36 am »
I forgot to mention: Amperex (Holland) 12BH7s are the way to go, from my experience.

PatOMalley

• This text is personal
    • http://home.comcast.net/~omaille/audio/home.html
« Reply #23 on: 15 Jan 2010, 12:28 am »
Amperex anything, right? Great old American company.

I had a problem with whistling tubes until I plugged in a Bendix rectifier and no more noisy tubes.

I am using 5751 in my cornet2 which tamed the sound a bit so I see no reason that 12BH7 may do similar for the Clarinet. I have NOS Sylvania 12BH7 black plates slowly moving in the mail.

tubesforever

« Reply #24 on: 15 Jan 2010, 07:55 am »
Pat thanks for trying these out and reporting back.  I am back logged right now.  I have a lot to do and just a little time to get it all completed.  This weekend is taxes and I hate taxes!

Cheers!

Brinkman

« Reply #25 on: 16 Jan 2010, 04:17 am »
Amperex anything, right? Great old American company.

I don't follow...

PatOMalley

• This text is personal
    • http://home.comcast.net/~omaille/audio/home.html
« Reply #26 on: 16 Jan 2010, 05:36 am »
I don't follow...

"Located at 79 Washington Street in Brooklyn, New York, Amperex was a long established manufacturer of transmitting tubes when they were acquired by the giant Dutch firm, Phillips in 1955 or so." .... http://vintagetubeservices.com/page9.html

Bobzilla

« Reply #27 on: 23 Jan 2010, 10:58 pm »

I replaced the 4 original 680 ohm Nude Vishay resistors with the same type at 1.2K and 820 ohm, hoping to retain the great qualities of the Clarinet and gain some improvement over something that I was unaware needed improving.
 That's precisely what I got.
 I find that often changes in your system/room can create or uncover other problems. The most remarkable single aspect of this Clarinet (make no mistake, it's superb in every way) is the absolute absence of noise. I thought that, because of the noise floor being virtually eliminated, I was l listening at a higher volume level and suffering the negative aspects of my room or maybe overloading my electronic crossover.
 My room is far from perfect.
 Really far.
 Well I was wrong. It wasn't the room. At higher volume levels, an "edginess" or audible irritation would manifest itself. Lowering the volume, nirvana returned.
 The resistor change was the answer.
 Make the change.
 You will be pleased!               

david62

« Reply #28 on: 24 Jan 2010, 12:33 am »
I feel fortunate that I will benifit from the start since my Clarinet is underway.I noticed that Digikey substituted the ceramic .01 uf 400 v. cap with a ceramic rated for 250 VAC.Should I re-order a 400v ceramic?Thanks,
David

tubesforever

« Reply #29 on: 15 Feb 2010, 08:40 am »
Bobzilla!

Thanks for confirming my listening experience.  The Clarinet has always been an awesome line stage, but it didn't enjoy being pushed hard.

Now it seems to enjoy a bit more push.  I like to be able to hit higher volumes without distortion and that's what I experience today.

Four damned resistors....who would have imagined.   Now I need a fully ballanced line stage and I will be a happy camper. 

For everyone with a Clarinet, get those resistors changed out right away and report back about the progress. 

Jim H you are a DIY rock star and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.  How is the C3 coming? 
Cheers!

hagtech

« Reply #30 on: 19 Feb 2010, 07:35 am »
I guess it's official then.  I need to make the change in the manual...

jh