The about to become world-famous Cherry Tonearm

Bill Epstein

The about to become world-famous Cherry Tonearm
« on: 14 Sep 2008, 10:18 am »

Have you seen this on Audiogon? I couldn't resist, after all, it's a WOODIE!

Just finished the rough draft installation of this $200 wonder and it is not, repeat, not, a novelty!

It images, sings and produces bass equally with my SME III. In fact, the bass may be a little fuller. Installation was a snap with clear instructions, the only bobbles were that the wooden yoke that holds the very nice female RCAs needed a dab of caulk to hold them securely and  the counterweight is at it's limit with the 8.5 gram Ace to yield 1.7 grams VTF, I couldn't get it to 1.8. Looking forward to trying the Sonata later today.

Adjustable VTA (requires removing the armboard), no ground wire required, dead simple anti-skate and no end-of-side distortion; I'm amazed and delighted.   

Wayner

Re: The about to become world-famous Cherry Tonearm
« Reply #1 on: 14 Sep 2008, 11:58 am »
You could add some platiclay to the bottom of the weight to get it to go higher. Nice DIY tonearm. On the VPI. I have thought of making one myself.

Looks real good.

Wayner

PatOMalley

• This text is personal
    • http://home.comcast.net/~omaille/audio/home.html
why here?
« Reply #2 on: 14 Sep 2008, 04:03 pm »
Pardon the intrusion but what does this have to do with Hagerman equipment?
At the risk of being labeled some kind of forum cop, this sure smells like SPAM to me.

Wayner

« Reply #3 on: 14 Sep 2008, 04:34 pm »
Well, He's got a Cornet2 Phono preamp which he probably runs this table thru so it is an item of interest for this thread, and yes, you're being a little like a forum cop.

Wayner  :D

analog97

« Reply #4 on: 14 Sep 2008, 04:39 pm »
No harm, no foul me thinks.  My bias is toward all things analog and this fits in easily.  That "woodie" arm is curious.  Not sure it would replace my fully tweaked RB-300/Cardas-wired/Heavyweight combo, but I'd love to hear it since I have the same Table as Bill.... :)

Bill Epstein

« Reply #5 on: 14 Sep 2008, 04:53 pm »
Sheesh, O'Malley, I can't post about something analog I find interesting? :roll:

Lighten up!   

TheChairGuy

« Reply #6 on: 14 Sep 2008, 05:06 pm »
Post it on the Vinyl Circle....I promise not to rename you SchillBill  :wink:  :icon_lol:

John

PatOMalley

• This text is personal
« Reply #7 on: 14 Sep 2008, 05:36 pm »
ah, well. I knew I was gonna get it. Just had my second cup of coffee when I posted. No excuses, I am a nattering nabob.

Bill Epstein

« Reply #8 on: 14 Sep 2008, 06:03 pm »
Hey, the guy told me there was 20 bucks in it for me if I posted over here... :wink:

Seriously tho', I feel much more comfortable and get better info, re: all things analog here, as opposed to that Vinyl place.

Wayner

« Reply #9 on: 14 Sep 2008, 06:14 pm »
Back to your wooden tone arm story, Is it a homemade job or does it look or have a name on it? What do the pivots look like.......I wood like to see more pictures of the pivot assembly, If you could.

Wayner

ronpod

« Reply #10 on: 14 Sep 2008, 06:43 pm »
Both Bill and Pat show wood on their tone arms in their posts. Wood that be something in common?

SET Man

« Reply #11 on: 14 Sep 2008, 06:54 pm »
Post it on the Vinyl Circle....I promise not to rename you SchillBill  :wink:  :icon_lol:

John

Hey!

Yeah, at first I thought that Hagerman Tech is now making a tonearm :lol:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

TheChairGuy

« Reply #12 on: 14 Sep 2008, 07:58 pm »

Seriously tho', I feel much more comfortable and get better info, re: all things analog here, as opposed to that Vinyl place.

http://www.hagtech.com/hagusb.html.....ummm, what's analog about that? (not even the output of this one is analog)

Just busting your stones a bit more....  :wink: 8)

Ciao, John

Bill Epstein

« Reply #13 on: 14 Sep 2008, 08:33 pm »
Hey Wayner, there's even a website with better pics than I could take: http://tonearmaudio.com/_wsn/page2.html

Wayner

« Reply #14 on: 14 Sep 2008, 09:01 pm »
Thaaaaaaaanks Bill! This guy looks like he knows what he's doing. Nice work.

Wayner

PatOMalley

• This text is personal
« Reply #15 on: 14 Sep 2008, 09:23 pm »
OK BIll,

I am all recovered from my coffee. What is the mounting distance for the 9" arm?
I was interested in this arm some time back but decided to go with a Rega on the SL1200.
This arm looks easy to re-wire ...

Bill Epstein

« Reply #16 on: 14 Sep 2008, 11:13 pm »
Can an Epstein suggest to an O'Malley that a slug of Jamesons goes nicely in that Sunday AM after the night before coffee?

The mounting distance is 8 1/4" spindle-to-pivot. Looking at the shape of the arm I don't see why it couldn't be any custom distance you might want. Wouldn't hurt to ask.