Question to Jim about the Clarinet line stage.

tubesforever

Question to Jim about the Clarinet line stage.
« on: 8 Jan 2008, 05:27 pm »
Jim, I have thoroughly enjoyed building and playing your Clarinet.  With the simple cap swaps and Vishay S102 resistors in the signal path this line stage has incredible speed, resolution, dynamics, and it is totally dead silent.  What I like the most is that it still has a warm meat and potatoes feel to the music.  I get all the precision and analytical detail I enjoy without ithe sound being thin and devoid of character.

Jim what I was not expecting is how much better my Multiplayer sounds on digital playback.  I am hearing stuff on my CD's that I did not hear as clearly even with other active, buffered passive, and purely passive preamps.

I wonder what it is about the design that contributes to the dramatic increase in the quality of digital playback?  Is it simply the input and output impedance that accomplishes this or are there other areas where the design just does a better job?

The Clarinet has significantly shortened the gap between vinyl playback and digital playback.  Before this piece, digital always seemed to sound a great deal more sterile and lacked involvement.

So what is going on with this SRPP design?

hagtech

• Facilitator
    • http://www.hagtech.com
Re: Question to Jim about the Clarinet line stage.
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jan 2008, 09:59 pm »
Mostly it is the lack of feedback that gives you the combination of ease and resolution.  The tubes give it life.  It's a lot of little things rolled up into one.  A design has to be happy with itself (synergistic, holistic, power supply & amplifier sections must work as one).  The SRPP can do some nice things. 

I am hoping to better it with my new LS-10 (HAGLABS proto linestage), which uses choke as plate load.  Also better power supply.  We'll see.  Or hear.  I might turn it into a kit like the CASTANET.

jh

tubesforever

Re: Question to Jim about the Clarinet line stage.
« Reply #2 on: 8 Jan 2008, 11:08 pm »
Thanks Jim,

I will definitely be buying this kit if you decide to spin it out to us DIY nuts. 

The Cornet2 and Clarinet were so much fun to build.  Better still is the sound--the quality of the equipment is simply sublime!

Thanks for the great designs.