Scams: Tis the Season - am I being paranoid?

genjamon

Scams: Tis the Season - am I being paranoid?
« on: 17 Nov 2022, 06:35 pm »
Looking for a little feedback on my situation.  A prospective buyer contacted me based on my USAM ad to sell my old subwoofer.  https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649865624-dayton-titanic-mk3-15-sub-driver-cabinet/

It's been live for a really long time, with no real interest.  When I listed it here on AC around the same time the USAM ad went live, I got feedback that it was too expensive for what it was and likely junk.  The results of no real offers for six months seem to agree.

Except now I have this interested buyer.  And he seems really interested - perhaps too interested.  What are your reactions to the following email exchange?

On Tue, Nov 15, 2022 at 9:17 AM <messages-2772126r-22210@in.canuckaudiomart.com> wrote:

You've received a new reply to your classified "Dayton Titanic Mk3 15" Sub Driver + Cabinet" in Subwoofers.

Good morning, my name is XXXX. That is a great DIY enclosure project by the way. Nice and clean. So the amp is fading in and out, okay that's fine, but the 15" driver is fine right???
By XXXXXX |  1  See details | member since Mar 20, 2021 | 1 item purchased

On Tue, Nov 15, 2022, 8:24 AM Ben Champion <genjamon@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi, thanks for the interest. Yes, driver and cabinet are in great shape. The amp is the problem.

Ben

On Tue, Nov 15, 2022 at 9:32 AM XXXXXXXX wrote:
I received a notification that your ad is about to expire right around 11-29-2022.  Are you planning on re-listing the item??

On Tue, Nov 15, 2022, 8:34 AM Ben Champion <genjamon@gmail.com> wrote:
It’s been listed since May I think. It’s just sitting in my living room, serving as an amp stand at the moment. I didn’t even realize it was still listed. Just let me know if you’re interested.

Ben

On Tue, Nov 15, 2022 at 10:00 AM XXXXXXXX wrote:
Okay.   I'm going to keep your email saved.  I should be ready to purchase in about 2 weeks.    The shipping chart has my rate at $193.00 going thru FEDEX GROUND.    When I'm ready, we will exchange payment information.  I've got PayPal, CASH APP and VENMO.   My cell number is XXXXXXXX, my name is XXXXXX, you can call or text me anytime after 5pm Central Time.   I stay is Saint Louis,Missouri 63113

On Tue, Nov 15, 2022, 9:04 AM Ben Champion <genjamon@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi XXXXXX, I’m not interested in shipping it. I have no boxes or packing materials for it, and getting it to a FedEx center would be a hassle. That said, we will be driving through St Louis in our way to KC for Christmas, and it might be possible to make a brief exchange on Christmas Eve as we pass through. But I’d have to see if I could fit it in the trunk of my car with room to spare for luggage.  Let me know if you’d be interested in exploring that option.

On Tue, Nov 15, 2022 at 10:18 AM XXXXXXXX wrote:
Hey.  I'm planning on purchasing it WAY before that time.   Hey Ben, listen, I've got a much, much better idea, I do this all the time, you don't need to BOX, PACK or SHIP the unit at ALL SIR!!!    I'm going to have all that arranged thru FED EX GROUND!!!    The only thing that I will need from you is drop the unit off at your nearest FEDEX STORE, and they will take it from there!!!!             I'm going to send you the money for your sub and the funds for boxing, packing and shipping from your location to mine.       So, in about 2 weeks, I'm going to be notifying you so we can share info to make this happen my man👍👍!!!!

On Tue, Nov 15, 2022, 9:27 AM Ben Champion <genjamon@gmail.com> wrote:
Ok, but insurance and dealing with any shipping damage is completely between you and FedEx. I want no part of it. And I’m going to want payment via PayPal Friends/family, as I don’t want to deal with any PayPal disputes - I went through a helluva experience this summer with them and don’t trust them anymore.

On Tue, Nov 15, 2022 at 10:43 AM XXXXXXXX wrote:

No problem, I understand. I will take FULL RESPONSIBILITY AS FAR AS SHIPPING AND DAMAGES, I always do!!! Also, we don't have to go thru PAYPAL, if you don't want to.   I also have CASH APP and VENMO.  Just throwing that out there as options.             I'll be in touch with you buddy.         

MttBsh

Re: Scams: Tis the Season - am I being paranoid?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Nov 2022, 07:13 pm »
Bizarre for sure but some of us Audio nuts are, well... a little nuts. Sounds like the 15" driver is what he's really interested in. If he sends you the $$s and covers the shipping it's hard to see what you have to lose, especially since the sub is only serving as an amp stand right now. Obviously avoid exchanging any banking or other sensitive info. I may be missing something but that's my take.

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 17 Nov 2022, 07:49 pm »
How does that person's feedback look?  Reach out to some other member that has done biz with them and ask about their experience.

Have you spoken live with them or asked for a work email?  I have often used my work email or answered a LinkedIn chat to 3rd party verify I am who I saw I am when I am buying or selling and the other party is feeling less than secure.

WGH

« Reply #3 on: 17 Nov 2022, 07:57 pm »
I would pick the payment service that can't claw back the funds if payment goes sideways. I never used Cash App or Venmo so don't know what options are available.

After you receive payment wait for 2-3 days before shipping, that way the money should clear. You should probably double check shipping and insurance charges with FedEx too.

Or you can just say nope, pickup only. Update the listings on Nov. 25th with a slightly lower price, call it a Black Friday Sale. Everybody likes sales.

veloceleste

« Reply #4 on: 17 Nov 2022, 08:23 pm »
Trust your gut.If something in the back of your mind is telling you something doesn’t seem right, don’t do it.

genjamon

« Reply #5 on: 17 Nov 2022, 08:54 pm »
I would pick the payment service that can't claw back the funds if payment goes sideways. I never used Cash App or Venmo so don't know what options are available.

After you receive payment wait for 2-3 days before shipping, that way the money should clear. You should probably double check shipping and insurance charges with FedEx too.

Or you can just say nope, pickup only. Update the listings on Nov. 25th with a slightly lower price, call it a Black Friday Sale. Everybody likes sales.

Thanks, Wayne.  You're right on the money about my worries - the Paypal F&F is all about avoiding a clawback.  It's also a huge hassle to drop off at Fedex, since none of the ones remotely near me in DC have any parking out front, and I don't want to have to lug the damn think multiple blocks from where I park. 

As for feedback, you'll notice he only has one feedback on USAM.  I haven't inquired about any additional feedback on other platforms.

And yeah, something seems just not right about this.  He's willing to go $400 for this thing when you can get a brand new Dayton Ultimax 15" kit for $355 with free shipping.  I guess if he doesn't want to have to finish the cabinet, that would be worth some money to him.  But what really triggered me that something might not be right was this one that I missed copying in the original thread:

"Also, if you need to rent a U-Haul pickup truck, since you say you have no way of transporting the unit, I will provide the funds for that too.     You see, I do this all the time.  I have 8 Velodyne subs in my HOME THEATER ARSENAL.   Check out the pics below 👇.  This is what's behind my 73" Mitsubishi big screen, 2 Velodyne FSR-15's, 1 Velodyne HGS-18, 1 Velodyne HGS-15.    I LIKE IT LOUD!!!!!"

I mean, come on - paying for a U-Haul too? 

But yeah, maybe you're right - some of us in this hobby are just a tad enthusiastic at times. 

richidoo

« Reply #6 on: 17 Nov 2022, 09:31 pm »
Run!!  He's way too excited about your old junk speaker, which means he has other plans for you.

With used audio gear, if you price it correctly you'll get plenty of offers from normal audiophiles.
The expected price for used audio gear is 50% current retail. Give or take based on the popularity and demand for the item.
You're price is way too high, and your ad is too verbose.

"Used DIY subwoofer. Good used 15" woofer, broken amp. Cabinet from Dayton MDF kit, painted satin black, 7/10.  Pickup in YourCity  for $100 cash."

That's all you need. Let their imagination help sell it to themselves. The more you ramble the less people will contact you.

If you want to sell the box then repair the amp and sell a working sub. Otherwise the box isn't worth much in figuring price. Sad, but DIY audio is horrible investment.

The new latest version 15" dayton woofer ultimax is $270 shipped, so if you were selling the latest woofer alone your used price would be $135, shipped. Then it will sell within 2 weeks.

Your old version woofer, well-used, is worth less, so try $100 shipped. If that's not really worth the bother for you to pack it safely, then offer it free on AC, buyer pays shipping.

Whatever you do, just get it out of your hair and move on.
There is a psychological cost to warehousing old junk you'll never use.
Give it away or throw it out!
Tell your wife she's welcome.  I'm just parroting what my wife says to me...   :lol:

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #7 on: 17 Nov 2022, 09:42 pm »
Yeah, when I see more than one exclamation point I get turned off. You know what I mean?!!? 😁

Like veloceleste said, go with your gut.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #8 on: 18 Nov 2022, 02:39 am »
If he's willing to use Paypal F&F, go for it. Hold up your end of the bargain and sleep well.

JohnR

« Reply #9 on: 18 Nov 2022, 03:13 am »
That seems like a scam to me. Apart from anything else, never do anything based on someone saying "they will be ready to purchase in two weeks." (They never are.)

whydontumarryit

• Restricted
« Reply #10 on: 18 Nov 2022, 03:44 am »
Yeah, when I see more than one exclamation point I get turned off. You know what I mean?!!? 😁

Like veloceleste said, go with your gut.

That and too many capital letters. The transaction could be just a ploy to try to access/hack your bank info.
The guy did a decent job if it is a scam. Hats off.

jbl

« Reply #11 on: 18 Nov 2022, 09:13 am »
If looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck.  Its highly likely its a duck or in this case a scammer. 

genjamon

« Reply #12 on: 18 Nov 2022, 02:19 pm »
Wow, this generated more replies than I expected!  Thanks for all of your impressions.  Glad to know I'm not alone in feeling a tad suspicious about this one.  I'll wait to see if he reaches out in two weeks as promised, and will see what he as to say at that point. 

I am certainly aware of some of the common scam approaches, and if indeed he is a scammer, one approach could be to play some kind of switcheroo with Fedex where I end up paying shipping costs that he will reimburse, at which time he'll cancel and get a reimbursement on his end - or something along those lines.  But it's hard to see how I could be at risk of a scam if he pays via Paypal F&F and Fedex doesn't have any of my payment info.