VR-10 MKII for sale

Avinash

VR-10 MKII for sale
« on: 1 Oct 2021, 01:27 am »
I've been keeping an eye on a VR-10 MKII for sale for over a year now on audiogon. I'm wondering why no one has scooped it up yet? I've been drooling over it but been holding back.
I'm visiting florida and am tempted to audition and make an offer, but I'm curious/ skeptical why no one else has bought it yet. Given I've never heard them I'm wondering what am i missing here?  Is it priced too high or the real estate they require or that it was a great performer a decade ago but there's smaller speakers that out preform them today?

Also is a room 21'x12.5'x8.5 too small for it.

Love to get your perspective.

Thanks

dpatters

Re: VR-10 MKII for sale
« Reply #1 on: 1 Oct 2021, 10:39 am »
Perhaps the fact the speaker cabinets aren’t finished is playing a large factor.

Don P

illenema

« Reply #2 on: 1 Oct 2021, 02:06 pm »
Might just want to audition them and make an offer, Looks like the price keeps creeping up on them.

Jean Sibelius

• The Confidence Mansion
« Reply #3 on: 12 Oct 2021, 06:20 pm »
Did you purchase them?

Just noticed that they are no longer for sale

Avinash

« Reply #4 on: 18 Oct 2021, 11:45 pm »
Hi Jean,

I didn't buy them, my trip to florida hasn't happened yet. Looks like the Audiogon listing has expired again with no sale.

Do you mind if i pick your brain about these, I have read through your posts about these in your music room.

Avi

Jean Sibelius

• The Confidence Mansion
« Reply #5 on: 19 Oct 2021, 07:34 am »
Hi Jean,

I didn't buy them, my trip to florida hasn't happened yet. Looks like the Audiogon listing has expired again with no sale.

Do you mind if i pick your brain about these, I have read through your posts about these in your music room.

Avi

Hi Avi,

No problem ‘to pick my brain’.

If you think it is also interesting for the rest of the community, please ask whatever you want in this topic and otherwise send me a Personal message.

Hope that I can help.

Best regards, Jan

Avinash

« Reply #6 on: 23 Oct 2021, 03:31 am »
Hi Avi,

No problem ‘to pick my brain’.

If you think it is also interesting for the rest of the community, please ask whatever you want in this topic and otherwise send me a Personal message.

Hope that I can help.

Best regards, Jan

Hi Jean do you think these speakers will be too much for my room size(21'x12.5'x8.5')? Also have you had to any issues with any of the drivers or the inbuilt sub amplifiers, the model being over 12 years old now.

I also sent you a message on here.

Thanks

Jean Sibelius

• The Confidence Mansion
« Reply #7 on: 23 Oct 2021, 10:39 am »
Hi Jean do you think these speakers will be too much for my room size(21'x12.5'x8.5')? Also have you had to any issues with any of the drivers or the inbuilt sub amplifiers, the model being over 12 years old now.

I also sent you a message on here.

Thanks

Hi Avi,

The floor space of your room is then about half that of my room (24.4’x19.2’x9.1’) (biggest difference being the width of our rooms). I would say bigger works, smaller…? My speakers are placed about 4’ from the side walls which gave the best sound image. My model has external amplifiers by the way (no internal). In the meantime these amplifiers were exchanged by Parasound JC-1 class A/B speakers, but that is to even have more slamm/dynamics (so the original class-D amplifiers are now put in storage just to keep the set original as it is).

Never had problems which I would also not expect with speakers from this age as these are built as a tank. Good luck with you search.

Best regards, Jan

kernelbob

« Reply #8 on: 23 Oct 2021, 11:42 pm »
A key metric for speakers using multirange drivers (e.g. bass, midrange, treble) is the minimum distance from the front of the speakers where the various wave fronts of the various driver converge.  This is the closest position where the listener will hear a coherent wavefront.

I'm using the VSA VR100XS speaker system, a tower speaker (WWMTMWW configuration).  Albert mentioned that one of the design goals of these speakers was to have a closer minimum listening position to allow them to be used in smaller rooms.  In the case of my 100's, he indicated that the minimum distance is 12 feet.

I don't know what the effective closest coherent listening position is for the VR10.  I'd suggest contacting VSA for guidance.
« Last Edit: 24 Oct 2021, 08:48 pm by kernelbob »

Avinash

« Reply #9 on: 21 Jan 2022, 03:38 pm »
Wanted to close the loop on this one, I did check out these speakers and had about everything lined up to haul them from FL -> AZ even before the audition. They sounded good but there was some driver issue from the left main tower, it had a cracking/screeching at certain frequency. Also I was underwhelmed by the cabinet weight, they were rather light for their size and the $100k retail price tag they had. I'm not a cabinet expert but I think speakers in that range use thick panels and heavy bracing making them very heavy. I decided to pass

Thanks
« Last Edit: 25 Jan 2022, 03:45 am by Avinash »

mhconley

« Reply #10 on: 22 Jan 2022, 05:58 pm »
Wanted to close the loop on this one, I did check out these speakers and had about everything lined up to haul them from FL -> AZ even before the audition. They sounded good but there was some driver issue from the left main tower, it had a cracking/screeching at certain frequency. Also I was underwhelmed by the cabinet weight, they were rather light for their size and the $100k retail price bracket they had. I'm not a cabinet expert but I think speakers in that range use thick panels and heavy bracing making them very heavy. I decided to pass

Thanks

Something sounds fishy... These should be several hundred pounds per tower. Has anyone ever verified with Von Schweikert that these are real? With the finish on them someone could have just thrown a bunch of drivers in homemade cabinets. I also recall when he originally had them listed he did not have the bass cabinets; I contacted him and he verified that fact. Incidentally, "Higher-Fi" is only about 30 miles away from me.

Martin

nc42acc

« Reply #11 on: 22 Jan 2022, 06:31 pm »
Good luck getting anyone from VS to reply to questions about legacy products. I emailed direct and messaged on a forum about my VR-5 Anniv MKII and nothing.

Something sounds fishy... These should be several hundred pounds per tower. Has anyone ever verified with Von Schweikert that these are real? With the finish on them someone could have just thrown a bunch of drivers in homemade cabinets. I also recall when he originally had them listed he did not have the bass cabinets; I contacted him and he verified that fact. Incidentally, "Higher-Fi" is only about 30 miles away from me.

Martin

mhconley

« Reply #12 on: 22 Jan 2022, 09:55 pm »
Good luck getting anyone from VS to reply to questions about legacy products. I emailed direct and messaged on a forum about my VR-5 Anniv MKII and nothing.

I had great success corresponding with them recently about the VR4 Gen III HSE I sold and the VR5 Anniversary I just purchased. I’d think they’d be happy to validate whether these are real or not.

Martin