Hello from the Chicago area

SpeakersNoEvil

Hello from the Chicago area
« on: 27 Jul 2021, 01:58 am »
Hi, I just joined. Looking for the right speakers for our two-channel setup in our 12'x13' living room -- for music and movies.

I had Klipsch Forte II's years ago. Currently using Mackie HR824 powered monitors just because they're handy, but looking forward to moving on. For amplification, we'll either use our 1980s Kyocera receiver or Antique Sound Lab Wave 8's, but may upgrade in the future. We also have Hornshoppe speakers for music and radio in our bedroom, connected to an Arcam Mini. (Maybe the ASL Wave 8's ought to go there!)

Eventually we'll also probably buy a DAC. I've heard good things about the Orchid and the Denafrips Ares II.

Anyway, my wife and I have started listening to various speakers. Early in the process, we listened to some B&W towers at Best Buy, and it was great to hear Ron Carter's bass so much more distinctly on the classic Wayne Shorter piece "Witch Hunt." That really told us that finding the right speakers will be worthwhile! We also really enjoyed the sound of Wharfedale Lintons (but probably need speakers that are ok very close to the back wall, plus deeper bass extension). And we've very curious about Tektons.

Good luck to everyone in their musical and sonic quests.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Hello from the Chicago area
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jul 2021, 02:23 am »
Welcome to AC  :thumb:
There is a used Tekton on the Trading Cicle now:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=177425.0

SpeakersNoEvil

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jul 2021, 03:15 am »
Thanks FullRangeMan! I'll reach out to Zeke.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 27 Jul 2021, 04:26 am »
Greetings & Welcome to AC SpeakersNoEvil    :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jul 2021, 11:57 am »
Welcome!