Problem with Clarinet when using 4 outputs

jetpack

Problem with Clarinet when using 4 outputs
« on: 21 Jun 2014, 09:38 pm »
Hi all.
I've started biamping my system using 2 channels from the Clarinet to feed a SET amp and the other 2 channels to feet a couple of gainclone monoblocks. The problem is, when the monoblocks are connected, one channel that is feeding the SET, let's call it the right channel, either starts distorting badly or just hisses. I can then disconnect the monoblock RCA plugs, and the channel works great.
Any ideas what is wrong?
Thanks in advance!

jetpack

Re: Problem with Clarinet when using 4 outputs
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jun 2014, 03:17 am »
I should add a couple of thoughts.

1) The Clarinet has worked beautifully for me for the past couple of years.
2) Input impedances of the two following power amps: gainclones: 30k Ohms; SET: 475k Ohms.

I guess I'll try to raise the impedance of the SS amps by adding in line resistance. I won't really know what I'm doing, but it seems others with similar setups have done so in past forum posts.

Thanks again in advance for any and all ideas and conveyance of knowledge!

hagtech

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jun 2014, 05:54 am »
Could be a giant ground loop (via interconnects and power cords).  Or perhaps the SS device loads down the input circuit when powered down.  If you turn volume to zero on the unused amp, does it affect the results?

jh

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #3 on: 22 Jun 2014, 06:54 am »
Hi all.
The problem is, when the monoblocks are connected, one channel that is feeding the SET, let's call it the right channel, either starts distorting badly or just hisses. I can then disconnect the monoblock RCA plugs, and the channel works great.
Any ideas what is wrong?
Thanks in advance!

input wiring distortion i would call it!... :green:

jetpack

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jun 2014, 07:07 am »
Thanks for the responses.

The problem is there even if the SS amps are turned off -- so long as they are connected to the preamp. In fact, it only happens when one particular RCA out of the pre is connected. The problem is there whether or not the SS amps are connected to house ground.

Now how to fix it? The hookups are relatively short and clean. Would grounding of the offensive phono jack to the chassis cause the problem?

Cheers.

hagtech

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jun 2014, 10:29 pm »
I'm guessing turning the SS amp off is what is causing the problem.

jh

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 23 Jun 2014, 01:39 am »
with all the extra wiriing noise could be picked up feeding back to phono stage and reamplified
check the phono stage if overloading with distortion and noise..

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #7 on: 23 Jun 2014, 02:18 pm »
Some of us can remember way back to when some pre-amps had an un-buffered tape output.  Everything would sound fine until you turned your tape recorder off. The transistor input stage in the tape recorder would act as a diode across the input signal line when the recorder was turned off.

jetpack

« Reply #8 on: 23 Jun 2014, 07:17 pm »
Thanks all. Early reports with amps turned on are good. It appears the 'load down' was the culprit. I guess I should have wired ON lights in the SS amps.....