Piccolo mounting orientation

rif

• Not a cowboy
Piccolo mounting orientation
« on: 10 May 2014, 06:06 pm »
The standard mounting has the two controls mounted vertically. I'd like to mount it more conventionally, with the controls horizontal but leave the PCB orientation alone. Will it pose any problems if I take the switches off the pcb and use wires the connect the switches the the PCB?  I ask because I know how sensitive these can be.

hagtech

Re: Piccolo mounting orientation
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2014, 03:46 am »
Probably not a good idea.  The gain resistors should remain tight within the small amplification section area.

jh

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2014, 12:43 am »
I've been racking my brain trying to figure a solution. The shafts will be vertical, but I want the knobs to be horizontal. I don't have room to turn the PCB on its side.  Help!

All I can think of its a geared solution but that didn't sound too reliable.  Point me in the right direction and I'll do research. I just don't know the right terminology to start with.

Thanks

poty

« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2014, 06:20 am »
Well, it seems you should look for some 90grad shaft extenders, but I do not have such things in mind.
I also had such problem when tried to use the JH PCB in my gear. I changed things radically: use my own pieces of PCBs to manage input impedance and gain. I mean I use one PCB right soldered into input RCAs with enough relays to switch the impedance and another PCB on top of the Piccolo PCB (in place of removed switches) with just the relays and resistors to switch gain. A simple switches at the front made the right relay switch on, just all. It worked for me.

BobM

« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2014, 01:00 pm »
Why not just use a different (taller) box and mount the board vertically?