Some a.c. advice

russe41

Some a.c. advice
« on: 8 Jul 2004, 12:32 am »
Went to a local dealer and saw some sort of a.c. noise analyzer he used to sell his monster a.c. line filters. It seemed to clean the a.c. from a number of 95 straight from the wall outlet to 1.4 after going through the monster unit. I.m a telecom tech for a local utility and we use isobar from tripplite co. to filter most things powered by a.c.,I happened to have their
duplex model on my truck and decided to bring it in to see how it compared to the monster. the tripplite cleaned the power down to 0.9
which was better than theirs.The salesman asked how much it cost and I told him 50$.He also looked long and hard at the model number and name
since it beat his at 1/5 the price.
Just an FYI

hagtech

Some a.c. advice
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jul 2004, 07:40 am »
I've been in one of those underground long distance telephone facilities (bomb-proof).  Perfect air, batteries the size of trash cans, wire thicker than a garden hose, racks upon racks of awesome equipment.  Clean power.

Really, it's not that hard to make clean power.  Industrial line conditioners & filters (some use isolation or ferro-resonant constant-voltage transformers) work quite well.  I just designed the "Conditioner", a power filter unit that uses same chassis as the Clarinet.  I was able to fit four outlets on the back panel.  One of these days I'll post the design manual.  Basically, its just a few quality line filters in series.  Removes a LOT of junk from the line.  The one I built will power my rack at the upcoming RMAF show.

jh :)

MaxCast

Re: Some a.c. advice
« Reply #2 on: 8 Jul 2004, 11:19 am »
Quote from: russe41
Went to a local dealer and saw some sort of a.c. noise analyzer he used to sell his monster a.c. line filters. It seemed to clean the a.c. from a number of 95 straight from the wall outlet to 1.4 after going through the monster unit. I.m a telecom tech for a local utility and we use isobar from tripplite co. to filter most things powered by a.c.,I happened to have their
duplex model on my truck and decided to bring it in to see how it compared to the monster. the tripplite cleaned the power down to 0.9
wh ...

So what is the model number and manufacturer? 8)

russe41

Some a.c. advice
« Reply #3 on: 8 Jul 2004, 09:26 pm »
It was an Isobar Iso-blok 15A old brown one(small duplex box with hot,neutral and ground prongs sticking out the back ,the new ones are ivory and may even filter out more.It was just funny to see the salesmans face after we tried it.