DUAL OB SERVO ON FLAT BAFFLE

AUDFILE74

DUAL OB SERVO ON FLAT BAFFLE
« on: 18 Nov 2009, 08:30 pm »
hey danny i was wondering , if i wanted to to a flat baffle ob setup with the servo subs, how wide would the baffle have to be.? the height for the baffle is set at 48in. i am thinking a 24in. wide baffle would be good

Danny Richie

Re: DUAL OB SERVO ON FLAT BAFFLE
« Reply #1 on: 19 Nov 2009, 01:44 pm »
Much better than a flat baffle would be an H frame or W frame.

drphoto

« Reply #2 on: 19 Nov 2009, 02:00 pm »
Flat baffles will work, and the bigger the better. Mine are 24" tall by 36" wide w/ the drivers located near the bottom center. Of course, I'm running a pair per side. (4 drivers total)

However at Danny's suggestion (and he should know best) I'm going to build 'H' frames.

I started w/ flats because they were cheap and easy.....kinda like me.   :roll:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 19 Nov 2009, 02:03 pm »
cheap and easy.....kinda like me.   :roll:

TMI

AUDFILE74

« Reply #4 on: 19 Nov 2009, 05:07 pm »
doc i could not agreemore. i was trying to do it affordably because i just do not have a ton of time or money right now. between school, work, and surprise expenses, like fightting off a flu, i have ran into more setbacks in the upgrade project ihave than i care to mention. i may just go with the dual servo design i see on the site and call it done. depends on the estimate i get back from the local cabinet shop.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #5 on: 19 Nov 2009, 08:32 pm »
What's the hurry?  In my experience skimping on the details eventually brings you back to square one.

Best to get it right the first time.  Even if it means saving up for something that might initially be out of reach.  A little patience and discipline are small sacrifices compared to the performance that can be achieved.

drphoto

« Reply #6 on: 20 Nov 2009, 07:02 am »
I agree w/ corndog in a sense, but you can hack out a flat baffle on your own, at least just to play with. You could just get a precut 2x4 piece of 3/4" MDF from you local big box home supply place, cut out 11" holes by hand w/ a sabre saw (they don't have to be pretty....the flange will cover the slop) and use a couple of big shelf brackets for feet. Put the drivers close together in the center and near the floor. Don't even finish it. Just try it and see if you like it. You're out maybe $25, assuming you have a saw. I always viewed my setup as test mules. I'm running sandwiched 2x3/4" but for testing, I wouldn't bother.  Ignoring the time to drive to the store for the wood and the brackets, you can have 'em up and running in a hour or two. Even if you have no tools, you might be able to find a friend who could do this for you. To just get a nice taste, you do not have to have professional quality woodwork!! That to me, is part of the beauty of this whole concept. I also think OBs don't have some of the same problems w/ room interactions as conventional subs, but that is a subject for much debate.

I know the H frame will be better, but I've really enjoyed what I've thrown together for several months now. I get the tight articulate bass I got from my Maggies, but w/ real balls. Even w/ my less than ideal setup...it will punch pretty hard.

Actually...the H frame doesn't really look all that hard, but you do need a few more precision cuts, but could probably be done w/ a good rip guide. Of course, you need some way to glue it all up square.

I hear you on the time and money. I'm about to become  very poor by going back to school....

cheers,

joe

BTW: Do you already have the drivers and the amp?

BPT

• Industry Participant
  • Balanced Power Technologies
« Reply #7 on: 20 Nov 2009, 12:58 pm »
Danny:
Is there any advantage or disadvantage to splaying the sides (front and rear) of an H frame sub?
Chris H.

AUDFILE74

« Reply #8 on: 20 Nov 2009, 04:30 pm »
hey doc,i want to put my order in about the january/ february time. i have a freind i might be able to have build the hframes for me. i am looking at my system design and trying to break it up into phases. which maggies do you have? i am taking a very serious look at the mmg or the mg1.6 plan on making that the christmas gift to my self

drphoto

« Reply #9 on: 20 Nov 2009, 07:07 pm »
If you can get someone to make the H frames for you, I'd go that route. I was just suggesting you can do something really easy and still get great results.

I had Maggie 2c's, a model long discontinued.(same size as the 1.6) I had them rewired by the factory (old Maggies had a problem w/ the VC wires coming off the mylar) and modded the Xover w/ Hovland caps, took out the fuse, etc. I recently gave them to a fellow AC'er. I'm running Merlin TSM-MMe's now.

Maggies do somethings very well. I personally like the soundstage they present. It is more diffuse than monopole speakers, which some don't like. But to my ears, it is more realistic. And they get the mid bass right, which I mentioned. Acoustic standup bass sounds great.

The biggest drawback is they are dynamically limited, at least w/ the smaller models. Even w/ a good sub. I'm beginning to think (along w/ a lot of other people it seems) that effortless dynamics both micro and macro, are a key to realistic sound reproduction. I'm starting to think about moving to something like the Gedlee Abbey or the GR Venue coax for that reason. Of course, that will have to wait until I finish grad school.

That being said, if I had the money, I'd probably have Maggies too. I have to admit, I always got a kick out of people's reaction to them. "That's a speaker?" Lot's of audioheads must love 'em too, because they are one of the few products you see on Agon that consistently sells well above the typical 50% of retail.

As w/ all things audio....it's all a matter of opinion. And the only one that matters is yours.

Sorry to ramble.

j
« Last Edit: 22 Nov 2009, 12:47 am by drphoto »

dvenardos

« Reply #10 on: 23 Nov 2009, 10:22 pm »
Elemental designs is pretty cheap on a flat pack for the w-frame from the GR website.

drphoto

« Reply #11 on: 24 Nov 2009, 05:30 am »
Do you have a link to the flat pack?

sfdoddsy

« Reply #12 on: 24 Nov 2009, 10:29 am »
+1

TomS

« Reply #13 on: 24 Nov 2009, 11:17 am »
Good place to start, but you might just email them

http://blog.edesignaudio.com/

dvenardos

« Reply #14 on: 25 Nov 2009, 08:13 am »
They don't list their custom work on the website, just email them for a quote. They did a set for me, so it shouldn't take long to get a quote.

Do you have a link to the flat pack?

Danny Richie

« Reply #15 on: 25 Nov 2009, 05:07 pm »
That is a nice looking 3D drawing that they posted there.  :thumb:

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #16 on: 25 Nov 2009, 08:02 pm »
That is a nice looking 3D drawing that they posted there.  :thumb:

That's mine! And my birch. Flat pack should ship next week, can't wait :)